• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Thank you everybody for your help!!

I have been "considering" selling my entire CGC collection for a copy of AF #15 in CGC 7.5 with Off-white to white pages!

Amazing Fantasy #15 seems to be one of the few comic books that NEVER declines and is always on a continuous rise in value!

On that note, please tell me if you think my collection would be a fair trade for an AF #15 CGC 7.5 OW/WP. The following are the books I would pitch for a trade deal:

Alpha Flight #33 CGC 9.8 WP (Yuriko Oyama becomes Lady Deathstrike)

Amazing Spider-Man #252 CGC 9.8 WP [Newsstand Ed.] (1st black costume)

Daredevil #111 CGC 9.8 WP (1st appearance of the Silver Samurai) 1 of 6!

Daredevil #181 CGC SS 9.8 WP [stan Lee] (Death of Elektra)

Daredevil #197 CGC 9.8 WP (1st appearance of Yuriko Oyama who later becomes Lady Deathstrike)

Incredible Hulk #180 CGC 9.8 WP [suscha News Pedigree] (1st appearance of Wolverine in single panel cameo on last page)

Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 WP [Mile High II Pedigree] (1st full appearance of Wolverine)

Incredible Hulk #182 CGC 9.8 WP (3rd appearance of Wolverine in three-panel cameo on first page)

Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.8 (1st appearance of Sabretooth)

X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (1st new X-Men; 2nd appearance of new X-Men and 3rd full appearance of Wolverine)

X-Men #95 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (Death of Thunderbird + 3rd appearance of the new X-Men)

X-Men #96 CGC 9.8 WP (1st appearance of Moria McTaggert)

X-Men #97 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (1st appearance of Lilandra + return of Havok & Polaris)

X-Men #98 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (X-Men vs The Sentinels! + Jack Kirby and Stan Lee cameos in 2 panels)

X-Men #100 CGC 9.8 WP (Old X-Men vs new X-Men - Classic Dave Cockrum cover)

X-Men #102 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (Origin of Storm + Juggernaut vs Colossus battle cover)

X-Men #141 CGC 9.8 WP (1st appearance of the alternate future X-Men)

X-Men #142 CGC 9.8 WP (Deaths of alternate future Wolverine, Storm and Colossus)

X-Men #143 CGC 9.8 WP (Kitty Pryde solo story + last John Byrne issue)

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

-Professor Pecora

I haven't done the math but this seems light in terms of value. The 181 and 94 are the heavy hitters here I'm not sure they are $20,000 books anymore? I wouldn't think so but could be wrong. Plus anyone who would make the trade is simply doing it to sell the books in trade for at least what they want for the AF 15. Any dealer or whatever will want at least a 10% premium and likely a 30% premium. So why not sell the books yourself, raise the cash and purchase what you want.

Maybe you find someone who needs a Hulk 181 and Xmen 94 9.8 and just happens to have the AF in the 7.5 grade but this is why trades are so tough.

All the books you have are instant sellers on ebay or here on the boards at FMV prices. So I'd just go that route.

Ed

I have been "considering" selling my entire CGC collection for a copy of AF #15 in CGC 7.5 with Off-white to white pages!

Amazing Fantasy #15 seems to be one of the few comic books that NEVER declines and is always on a continuous rise in value!

On that note, please tell me if you think my collection would be a fair trade for an AF #15 CGC 7.5 OW/WP. The following are the books I would pitch for a trade deal:

Daredevil #197 CGC 9.8 WP (1st appearance of Yuriko Oyama who later becomes Lady Deathstrike)

Incredible Hulk #180 CGC 9.8 WP [suscha News Pedigree] (1st appearance of Wolverine in single panel cameo on last page)

Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 WP [Mile High II Pedigree] (1st full appearance of Wolverine)

Incredible Hulk #182 CGC 9.8 WP (3rd appearance of Wolverine in three-panel cameo on first page)

X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (1st new X-Men; 2nd appearance of new X-Men and 3rd full appearance of Wolverine)

X-Men #95 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (Death of Thunderbird + 3rd appearance of the new X-Men)

X-Men #97 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (1st appearance of Lilandra + return of Havok & Polaris)

X-Men #98 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (X-Men vs The Sentinels! + Jack Kirby and Stan Lee cameos in 2 panels)

X-Men #102 CGC 9.8 OW/WP (Origin of Storm + Juggernaut vs Colossus battle cover)

X-Men #142 CGC 9.8 WP (Deaths of alternate future Wolverine, Storm and Colossus)

Thanks!

-Professor Pecora

I haven't done the math but this seems light in terms of value. The 181 and 94 are the heavy hitters here I'm not sure they are $20,000 books anymore? I wouldn't think so but could be wrong. Plus anyone who would make the trade is simply doing it to sell the books in trade for at least what they want for the AF 15. Any dealer or whatever will want at least a 10% premium and likely a 30% premium. So why not sell the books yourself, raise the cash and purchase what you want.

Maybe you find someone who needs a Hulk 181 and Xmen 94 9.8 and just happens to have the AF in the 7.5 grade but this is why trades are so tough.

All the books you have are instant sellers on ebay or here on the boards at FMV prices. So I'd just go that route.

Ed

Thank you Ed!

You raised some great points!

I am also thinking of having some of my early new X-Men books signed by Chris Claremont to help boost my overall sales - especially if I can grab a few signatures on my X-Men #94 - it would make history as being the "1st" CGC SS 9.8 copy in existence!

We shall see!

-The Professor

I am also thinking of having some of my early new X-Men books signed by Chris Claremont to help boost my overall sales - especially if I can grab a few signatures on my X-Men #94 - it would make history as being the "1st" CGC SS 9.8 copy in existence!

We shall see!

-The Professor

Worst idea....EVER. Your going to crack a 9.8 :screwy: Have people sign it....bleckkkkkkk. Resubmit it hoping it holds 9.8 grade. :sorry: Then hope that someone who has the money likes SS comics. Good luck with that. Don't do it.

We shall see!

-The Professor

Worst idea....EVER. Your going to crack a 9.8 :screwy: Have people sign it....bleckkkkkkk. Resubmit it hoping it holds 9.8 grade. :sorry: Then hope that someone who has the money likes SS comics. Good luck with that. Don't do it.

i have to agree with this. dont crack a 9.8 early x-men. especially on that 94. chances are good that after all signatures are done, you looking at some grade drops.

We shall see!

-The Professor

i have to agree with this. dont crack a 9.8 early x-men. especially on that 94. chances are good that after all signatures are done, you looking at some grade drops.

+1

Risk of damage during signing, risk of grade drop even if no damage occurs, and the smaller market of SS buyers means it doesn't make sense to go this route.

Not strictly true. Although the long-run trend is up, there have been some dips along the way. To my mind, the big run up in AF 15 prices makes the book a risky investment. I realize people like to refer to it as the Action 1 of the Silver Age. There are 60 copies of Action 1 on the CGC census, while there are almost 2,000 copies of AF 15.

The problem with a book that a lot of people are holding strictly as an investment is that if there is a significant decline in prices, a flood of books can hit the market as people try to get out while the getting is good. The result can be a bust that takes years to recover from -- if, in fact, previous price levels are ever regained.

My 2c

Not strictly true. Although the long-run trend is up, there have been some dips along the way. To my mind, the big run up in AF 15 prices makes the book a risky investment. I realize people like to refer to it as the Action 1 of the Silver Age. There are 60 copies of Action 1 on the CGC census, while there are almost 2,000 copies of AF 15.

The problem with a book that a lot of people are holding strictly as an investment is that if there is a significant decline in prices, a flood of books can hit the market as people try to get out while the getting is good. The result can be a bust that takes years to recover from -- if, in fact, previous price levels are ever regained.

My 2c

I respectfully disagree. This books continues to bring record prices and is still in very high demand. There just doesn't seem to be any price resistance for this book. I always hear about the AF15 floodgates being opened, but when?

Priced near, at, or above GPA, they always seem to sell. (thumbs u

My 2c

I respectfully disagree. This books continues to bring record prices and is still in very high demand. There just doesn't seem to be any price resistance for this book. I always hear about the AF15 floodgates being opened, but when?

As with stocks, real estate, beanie babies, or anything else that has had a big run up, they always seem to sell for higher prices ... until they don't.

We'll just have to wait and see, of course, but here is one thing to think about: If AF 15s were a low-risk investment reliably returning 10% per year -- or whatever people seem to be expecting -- why would anyone who currently owns one sell? Who wouldn't want that sort of investment return in today's low-interest rate environment?

Maybe prices of AF 15s will continue to rise indefinitely but I think there are good reasons to be cautious, particularly when buying one for $50 K and up.

My 2c

As with stocks, real estate, beanie babies, or anything else that has had a big run up, they always seem to sell for higher prices ... until they don't.

We'll just have to wait and see, of course, but here is one thing to think about: If AF 15s were a low-risk investment reliably returning 10% per year -- or whatever people seem to be expecting -- why would anyone who currently owns one sell? Who wouldn't want that sort of investment return in today's low-interest rate environment?

Maybe prices of AF 15s will continue to rise indefinitely but I think there are good reasons to be cautious, particularly when buying one for $50 K and up.

Sqeggs, keep in mind there are many out there with AF15s who aren't speculating as they simply enjoy the book. An American comic icon is just fun to own. (thumbs u

By the way, I just sold an xtra CGC 1.0 I had on the boards. It flew off for 4k (a GPA record I think). The guy wasn't really looking at price more than he just wanted a copy to own. hm

The new member who is considering an AF 15 to replace his collection, as a long term investment, is wise to do that.

Short term prices will go up and down, fast or slow, level off etc, but in the long term the prices will go up more than the prices of those individual mentioned issues he has now. I take it that that is what he wants, and I'd do that.

People are selling AF 15's right now to take advantage of the recent price jumps, even anywhere near GPA they are making big profits, right now. I'd love to have my old copy back at the price I sold it for 75% lower than current prices.

The demand for Spider-Man has supported AF 15 sales since the 70's, I doubt the demand will drop below the supplies of copies, 2000 or any figure you could imagine. Action is not hot, Spider-Man is.

Thanks!

-Professor Pecora

Ed

Yep. Sell them individually and use the cash toward the book. A trade like that would be near impossible to pull off. I can't see (m)any dealers taking that trade (even with cash). Easier to sell one book than it is a whole slew of them. Although you have some really heavy hitters on that list.

My 2c

Sqeggs, keep in mind there are many out there with AF15s who aren't speculating as they simply enjoy the book. An American comic icon is just fun to own. (thumbs u

By the way, I just sold an xtra CGC 1.0 I had on the boards. It flew off for 4k (a GPA record I think). The guy wasn't really looking at price more than he just wanted a copy to own. hm

Price was a major factor, but I had to also be very realistic with the prices I have seen them go for recently, condition of the book and how often they appear on the market. I assumed you wouldn't drop the price that much and there is only so much one can negotiate when they are asking for extended time payments. The book was not about an investment, but about the desire to own one. I hope to one day get my money back on it, if I ever decide to sell it, but if not I can live with that.

My 2c

Price was a major factor, but I had to also be very realistic with the prices I have seen them go for recently, condition of the book and how often they appear on the market. I assumed you wouldn't drop the price that much and there is only so much one can negotiate when they are asking for extended time payments. The book was not about an investment, but about the desire to own one. I hope to one day get my money back on it, if I ever decide to sell it, but if not I can live with that.

(thumbs u

More CGC low grade RECORDS for AF 15's for the month ending 8-13

Last CGC 3.0 sold for $8k.

Just real quick to add to the above posts about the future of AF 15's value like a stock.

Since America is all about sentimental nostalgia don't expect AF 15's to come down any time soon especially now with Americans also bidding against Global collectors as well.

If AF 15's drastically decreased in the value it will be due to the fact the USA has fallen into a great depression of society is over level type level.

Only if America falls do AF 15's drop.

My 2c

I don't necessarily think this is an investment book. I think lots of people, collectors included, love to have a copy considering the historical nature of it

My 2c

Absolutely. That's why I have kept mine. :D

But it's complicated to untangle people's motivations. Fun to own, its a great collectible ... but also something most people expect to increase in value. If that last part changes, owning it may seem less fun and it somehow won't seem like quite such as key collectible.

Is Spider Man likely to seem more or less iconic over the next 10 years than over the last 10 years? What if the next movie seriously underperforms -- as the last one did to some extent -- and that's it for Spidey movies for a while? No effect on AF 15 prices?

Everything is much clearer in hindsight, of course. National housing prices hadn't fallen in the U.S. since the 1930s. That was never going to happen again, until it did.

One problem with seeing clearly when you are in a bubble is that your self-interest clouds your analysis. If AF 15 prices collapse, I'm out money -- not a huge amount of money because I only have a mid-grade copy -- but I would still rather not lose it. The same is probably true of nearly everyone on this thread. Naturally, the "prices will always increase" argument seems more plausible when it aligns with self-interest.

I'm new here so I don't want to speak out of turn. But, I was a collector as a child (as most of us were). Now, as an adult, I decided to acquire an iconic book (what I consider to be the 3rd most important comic behind Action1 or Tec27).

Reason...I wanted to have for myself and I wanted to have for posterity. I don't plan to "trade" mine. In fact, it's in my safe deposit box for my children down the road.

Near-term investment = No.

Long-term investment for diversification = Maybe Yes.

A fantastic heirloom to pass down to next generation = Absolutely Yes!

I'm new here so I don't want to speak out of turn. But, I was a collector as a child (as most of us were). Now, as an adult, I decided to acquire an iconic book (what I consider to be the 3rd most important comic behind Action1 or Tec27).

Reason...I wanted to have for myself and I wanted to have for posterity. I don't plan to "trade" mine. In fact, it's in my safe deposit box for my children down the road.

Near-term investment = No.

Long-term investment for diversification = Maybe Yes.

A fantastic heirloom to pass down to next generation = Absolutely Yes!

Welcome to the boards!

There are a couple of threads about the potential hazards of storing comics in safety deposit boxes. I've never done it, but those who do usually recommend including some kind of desiccant in the box. Another thing to look out for is whether the bank maintains heating/air conditioning during times when they are closed. Swings in temperature and humidity can be damaging to comics.

You may well be aware of all this but I thought I would mention it in case you weren't. (thumbs u