• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I'm new here so I don't want to speak out of turn. But, I was a collector as a child (as most of us were). Now, as an adult, I decided to acquire an iconic book (what I consider to be the 3rd most important comic behind Action1 or Tec27).

Reason...I wanted to have for myself and I wanted to have for posterity. I don't plan to "trade" mine. In fact, it's in my safe deposit box for my children down the road.

Near-term investment = No.

Long-term investment for diversification = Maybe Yes.

A fantastic heirloom to pass down to next generation = Absolutely Yes!

CONGRATS! :applause: WTTB! :headbang:

If you owned a raw copy of this with the spiderman story intact but the rest of the pages missing (nice cover and back cover) and you had the chance to get it signed by stan lee and gold labeled by cgc would you?

ps Im thinking this will cost at least 200 dollars to do.

or....would you have him sign it in person, no cgc involved?

If you owned a raw copy of this with the spiderman story intact but the rest of the pages missing (nice cover and back cover) and you had the chance to get it signed by stan lee and gold labeled by cgc would you?

Personally, I am not a fan of signatures on books, even if it's Stan Lee's. But if I did, I wouldn't have a signature without a cgc witness

Don't even bother. Keep it in a Mylar, or if you must, get it slabbed.

Thank you everybody for your help!!

I have been "considering" selling my entire CGC collection for a copy of AF #15 in CGC 7.5 with Off-white to white pages!

Amazing Fantasy #15 seems to be one of the few comic books that NEVER declines and is always on a continuous rise in value!

Not strictly true. Although the long-run trend is up, there have been some dips along the way. To my mind, the big run up in AF 15 prices makes the book a risky investment. I realize people like to refer to it as the Action 1 of the Silver Age. There are 60 copies of Action 1 on the CGC census, while there are almost 2,000 copies of AF 15.

The problem with a book that a lot of people are holding strictly as an investment is that if there is a significant decline in prices, a flood of books can hit the market as people try to get out while the getting is good. The result can be a bust that takes years to recover from -- if, in fact, previous price levels are ever regained.

My 2c

I respectfully disagree. This books continues to bring record prices and is still in very high demand. There just doesn't seem to be any price resistance for this book. I always hear about the AF15 floodgates being opened, but when?

Priced near, at, or above GPA, they always seem to sell. (thumbs u

As with stocks, real estate, beanie babies, or anything else that has had a big run up, they always seem to sell for higher prices ... until they don't.

We'll just have to wait and see, of course, but here is one thing to think about: If AF 15s were a low-risk investment reliably returning 10% per year -- or whatever people seem to be expecting -- why would anyone who currently owns one sell? Who wouldn't want that sort of investment return in today's low-interest rate environment?

Maybe prices of AF 15s will continue to rise indefinitely but I think there are good reasons to be cautious, particularly when buying one for $50 K and up.

There is always good reason to be cautious when buying any book for $50K and up. Much smaller pool of buyers to resell to at that price level.

But AF 15 in the 10K range has lots of suitors

Thank you everybody for your help!!

I have been "considering" selling my entire CGC collection for a copy of AF #15 in CGC 7.5 with Off-white to white pages!

Amazing Fantasy #15 seems to be one of the few comic books that NEVER declines and is always on a continuous rise in value!

Not strictly true. Although the long-run trend is up, there have been some dips along the way. To my mind, the big run up in AF 15 prices makes the book a risky investment. I realize people like to refer to it as the Action 1 of the Silver Age. There are 60 copies of Action 1 on the CGC census, while there are almost 2,000 copies of AF 15.

The problem with a book that a lot of people are holding strictly as an investment is that if there is a significant decline in prices, a flood of books can hit the market as people try to get out while the getting is good. The result can be a bust that takes years to recover from -- if, in fact, previous price levels are ever regained.

My 2c

I respectfully disagree. This books continues to bring record prices and is still in very high demand. There just doesn't seem to be any price resistance for this book. I always hear about the AF15 floodgates being opened, but when?

Priced near, at, or above GPA, they always seem to sell. (thumbs u

As with stocks, real estate, beanie babies, or anything else that has had a big run up, they always seem to sell for higher prices ... until they don't.

We'll just have to wait and see, of course, but here is one thing to think about: If AF 15s were a low-risk investment reliably returning 10% per year -- or whatever people seem to be expecting -- why would anyone who currently owns one sell? Who wouldn't want that sort of investment return in today's low-interest rate environment?

Maybe prices of AF 15s will continue to rise indefinitely but I think there are good reasons to be cautious, particularly when buying one for $50 K and up.

There is always good reason to be cautious when buying any book for $50K and up. Much smaller pool of buyers to resell to at that price level.

But AF 15 in the 10K range has lots of suitors

Anything up to 10k normally has its own wings. (thumbs u

I was very happy to make a trade with a friend at the Baltimore Comic Con to secure this comic

:)

amazingfantasy15_zpsbe5127d0.jpg

Congrats Bill! Very nice copy. It's funny that we each bought one on the same day, not knowing the other had. lol

Here's mine (thanks to Bedrock!)

Amazing%2520Fantasy%252015%2520CGC%25203.0.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that while AF 15's are not rare they are also not too many of them in CGC Blue labels. hm

1258 Blue Labels

Honestly that is not a lot of unrestored copies for growing world-wide global demand from all the ASM collectors out there.

Plus Rick (Gator) owns 10% of that census anyway! lol

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Amazing%20Fantasy&publisher=Marvel%20Comics&issue=15&year=1962&issuedate=8%2F62

Lets ask this guy......

Are AF 15's rare?

daniel-bryan-NO_zps963574c4.gif

Is AF 15's demand > available supply?

Daniel_Bryan_YES_zpsdfd929d2.gif