• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

You're gonna pay about $3700 and up. This is definitely the type of book too where you're going to pay for the comic, not the grade. There are some ugly low grades out there that have been getting some nice prices.

Yea, i agree with you. Maybe i'll see some at NYCC

This book is just like the '52 Mantle

Hey All! total newbie on posting on this forum but I do visit this site alot for advice and to drool over the comics I hope to own one day. So I wanted to seek advice from the veterans here who would definitely have a better eye than 'I.' Out of these two AF15 which one is a better copy? they are both graded 4.

Hey All! total newbie on posting on this forum but I do visit this site alot for advice and to drool over the comics I hope to own one day. So I wanted to seek advice from the veterans here who would definitely have a better eye than 'I.' Out of these two AF15 which one is a better copy? they are both graded 4.

Top copy, the cover is a little bit more worse for wear than the bottom, but has better overall page quality.

The second one looks a little better as it doesn't have any Marvel chipping. However, the way the cover lines up is off-putting. It also has the "mark of the beast" cert # "1197..." which indicates it may have been part of the group of books that were poorly pressed (see CG Cole Schave thread).

I still think it's the nicer looking book overall. I try to avoid Marvel Chipping whenever possible. I don't put too much (re: any) stock in CGC PQ designations, although I understand the "importance" to some (and especially from a resale POV).

As others have mentioned, I would try and get back cover scans. Also, I'd pony up the bucks for the notes on both. What's $30 when you're looking at a 10K purchase?

I would go with copy one but not solely because of looks. If it is purely a question of aesthetics issue 2 is nicer. But when you look closer it has that chip out which I particularly dislike, more so than marvel chipping which doesn't make much sense. Also issue two has worse PQ. And issue one is an old label in a new holder.

I like the top one the best. The bottom one has a severe browning happening at the bottom inch of the cover and that chip out of the bottom for me is worse than all the imperfections the top copy has. Plus page quality is better up top.

BUT, it all would come down to the back covers & the graders notes at this point for me.... plus I'm sure that the price is slightly different on these two copies so that would factor in too.

Not sure if I'm too late to this or if you made the purchase, but I'd go with the second one...

No back scams were given, so I'm close on these BUT...

If it were me I'd grab the highest graded copy I could without marvel chipping. The chipping generally isn't graded as harshly by CGC, but the resell on a chipped AF15 is more diffeicult than on a clean edged Af15. Look at various sites and you can easily see this.

The second one has drawbacks of PQ and the stain, but I'd be happier with it personally.

If the second copy had TAN-Creme of some TAN-Off WHITE weirdness that would change things a bit.

You could flip that second one faster too if you choose to upgrade!

Have a good one,

Scott

The stains are worse on grading as the chipping is not always look at as an imperfection...

I was told they look at it as a printing defect since there is some argument they were off the stand like this. Later issues were improperly cut by a dull blade or something like that.

To me both are unattractive but I just HATE those rough edges, and like many collectors I steer clear of MC books PERIOD.

Just my 2 cents.