• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I agree 100% that CGC makes some weird grading decisions, but that's how quite a few people and ...possibly me ;-( make a few extra bucks.

That sounds bad, but if you know what you are looking for in certain books you can do very well.

I'd buy a book like that 8.0 Spidey and crack it open for trade re-sell all day long!

Imagine if that was a Hulk 181 that was 8.0 and looked the same.

I bought a 181 WHITE graded 7.5 that looked like a 9.0. Paid 700 cash and flipped it at the same convention for 1K cash out of the slab. Used the cash and another book to snag a 9.2 181 White from Mike Carbo at the very same show!

Just food for thought.

So it looked like a 9.0 meaning it wasn't and you pawned it off as such.

Am I reading your post correctly?

I agree 100% that CGC makes some weird grading decisions, but that's how quite a few people and ...possibly me ;-( make a few extra bucks.

That sounds bad, but if you know what you are looking for in certain books you can do very well.

I'd buy a book like that 8.0 Spidey and crack it open for trade re-sell all day long!

I bought a 181 WHITE graded 7.5 that looked like a 9.0. Paid 700 cash and flipped it at the same convention for 1K cash out of the slab. Used the cash and another book to snag a 9.2 181 White from Mike Carbo at the very same show!

Just food for thought.

So it looked like a 9.0 meaning it wasn't and you pawned it off as such.

Am I reading your post correctly?

I thought this but didn't want to start trouble. But since you mentioned it SOT...

Just food for thought.

would you recommend Mike Carbo? is he a pretty reputable dealer?

I just let people look at a book and judge it themselves.

That may seem dishonest, but in my eye the Hulk 181 was not a 7.0 or 7.5.

Yes, I saw the chance to make a few $$$ and upgrade or "flip" the book.

I wouldn't say I pawned it off though.

The buyer was happy and I made a few bucks.

I think Mike Carbo is a great person to deal with if you know him and know your books.

He's a big time dealer though and in this to make $$$. For him it's a business.

Same goes with Harley and the other, probably myself included.

Mike does go though a ton of high dollar books, so if you can contact him right after his purchase(s) as I did at the PDX show, you can score a sweet deal. He probably flipped it in 30 minutes and made 200-

Somebody here stated I "PAWN OFF" my books.

I actually read 3 classic E.C's this weekend that I bought from Terry's comics. I love old funny books and classic covers/art. I do make a few $$$ here and there off comics, but that's due to 30 years of knowledge.

Just food for thought.

whats your name so I know never to deal with you at a convention.

Red rocks is that you?

One final note on this page of weird posts...

If you look back at pages 673 and 674 of the club you'll see my AF15.

The original intent of my post(s) was to prove or show that if you look around you can find

copies with much better eye appeal than the label shows. Now, was cgc off when they graded my AF15? Maybe...Maybe not.

I still feel they were off a bit. I was originally going to crack it out to resubmit it, but decided this could be risky due to the tearing at the lower left staple (See Page 674).

Before I purchase a high dollar book I often (if I can) take the same book in a different grade and put them side by side. At the con where I bought my Af15 I placed it next to a metropolis 5.0 (Covering the CGC Grade) and most said...They look identical (different PROS and CONS) they are both 4.5 to 5.5 people said. Mine was a 4.0 the Metro was the 5.0 (both BLUE mine had better PQ)

This are just things that helped me find the best AF15 for my $$$

and I hope they help someone else on this forum.

No offense to CGC as they are the best graders out there!

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

One final note on this page of weird posts...

If you look back at pages 673 and 674 of the club you'll see my AF15.

The original intent of my post(s) was to prove or show that if you look around you can find

copies with much better eye appeal than the label shows. Now, was cgc off when they graded my AF15? Maybe...Maybe not.

I still feel they were off a bit. I was originally going to crack it out to resubmit it, but decided this could be risky due to the tearing at the lower left staple (See Page 674).

Before I purchase a high dollar book I often (if I can) take the same book in a different grade and put them side by side. At the con where I bought my Af15 I placed it next to a metropolis 5.0 (Covering the CGC Grade) and most said...They look identical (different PROS and CONS) they are both 4.5 to 5.5 people said. Mine was a 4.0 the Metro was the 5.0 (both BLUE mine had better PQ)

This are just things that helped me find the best AF15 for my $$$

and I hope they help someone else on this forum.

No offense to CGC as they are the best graders out there!

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Please explain how CGC was wrong about your book on the low side, but you were still afraid to resubmit it because of the tear near the staple. That would appear to be talking out both sides of your mouth. Perhaps the book got the technical grade that it did because of that staple tear, and otherwise would have been higher as the eye appeal would suggest?

To get back to the subject heading...

I keep forgetting to post this here - I picked this up back in the late 80s or early 90s, a big purchase at the time. Think I paid $300 or so. PGM folks seemed to settle around 2.5, I think it looks much nicer than that in person.

AF15001_zpsb68a2d51.jpg

To get back to the subject heading...

I keep forgetting to post this here - I picked this up back in the late 80s or early 90s, a big purchase at the time. Think I paid $300 or so. PGM folks seemed to settle around 2.5, I think it looks much nicer than that in person.

AF15001_zpsb68a2d51.jpg

For a minute there, it looked like the CGC 2.5 I had a couple years back. Here was my copy for comparison. Your copy looks very similar to mine. Congrats!

008-1.jpg

Nice 2.5! Gonna get it graded?

Doubtful - for me, the only reason to have something graded is if I wanted to sell it, and I'm never planning on selling this. I've told the kids that they probably should if they want to get rid of it when I'm gone.