• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

A lot of books that quickly run up get the flat line then drift down treatment. Could easily happen with AF 15 (but not with BB28).

This is not a rare book and folks hoarding are doing so with the runup in prices. If we see some lengthy softness or downward drift, I imagine those 4.0 to 8.0's will come out of the woodwork.

Ed

Ed, AF 15 has beeen "running up" for 20 years. I think it would have flat lined by now if it was going to.

BB 28 was deader than a doornail until this movie tripe (hype) started

No argument here but a book running up for a long period of time will end at some point. Especially as the run up has gotten more aggressive these past few years.

As far as flat lining goes I'm thinking of key books like Avengers 4, Hulk 181, Spiderman 14, Green Lantern 76, Showcase 4, 22, Batman 227 or Detective 400. Not that these books haven't gone up in value - they have. More they haven't gone up in a straight line and ever increasing sloped line in all grades for such a long period.

No doubt this trend can continue and as long as comics as an industry stays strong, AF 15 will likely maintain value if not continue to go up. But there is just no such thing as a sure investment and the market (by definition) is generally a bet where 50% think its worth more than they paid and 50% think its worth less. Now AF 15 is anything but a perfectly efficient market. Still with movie hype BB28 could easily outpace AF15. And then it could settle worse than SC 22. Or not.

Seeing a lot of blind admiration for the price of the book (as opposed to the book itself) very quickly starts to look bubblicious. But bubbles can last a long time and no one will ring a bell.

I see your point. BB 28 might outstrip AF 15 in terms of CAGR for the next year or so, but will never outstrip it in total price or sales.

I recall clearly being at SDCC in the early 90s and there was an auction that included a NM AF15. It went for something like 35k. We all shook our heads and said it was crazy, that guy will never recoup his investment. How wrong we were.

A dealer that I respect very much recently tried to convince me to sell him my AF 15, I declined. He told me that every time he things he has a handle on what the ceiling is for this book is, it sells for more. Sometimes things just outpace standard models of finance. This is clearly one of them.

I think it's clear that GPA averages work as a baseline and the market determines the premium or discount based on factors such as PQ, defects, etc.

Perhaps there could be a rule of thumb for this assessment.

Ie: Good PQ +5% per grade bump; perfect centering +5% vice versa. These figures are completely arbitrary but I'm sure the data can be examined and extrapolated.

GPA2.0 anyone?

Again I think that would be totally arbitrary and almost completely impossible for GPA to quantify since PQ means less to some people than others, and some will pay almost any price for a tough to find personal grail or, key, or a missing issue in their run no matter how good or bad the cover looks for the assigned grade or how "supple" the internal pages are that no one will ever see or touch anyway unless the book is liberated from the slab. This applies especially to tough to find or valuable grails.

-J.

Just because some individuals have personal preferences does not mean there is not a preference shared by a majority. If there is such a preference you should be able to work out a rough guide.

In fact, some dealers have already got a good grasp of what the rough numbers are and make their money by being able to quantify these qualitative traits.

Of this I have no doubt. However it also depends on what "age" you're talking about. PQ means A LOT less in GA. I'm not saying most buyers wouldn't balk at an AF 15 with slightly brittle pages, but over in the GA a guy will pay $15K for a 1.8 Tec 31 with the same page quality. By the same token over in the BA most might demand a Hulk 181 with nothing worse than OW/W pages, and only a 9.8 with White pages in the CA and MA. I'm not so sure a "majority" have decided what PQ AF 15 should sell for more than another, because after all you only need ONE buyer to want your book, and that brings me back to my only point: Other than a book with brittle pages I think you can throw out PQ as an important or relevant deciding factor when it comes to major keys/grails.

-J.

You just reiterated your point. The fact remains, it is possible to quantify these attributes with a rough working approximation of the boost they give to value.

....and if you have a buyer on the hook ready, willing and able to subscribe to the notion that there should be a "premium". I personally have poo-poohed dealers when they try to justify even a slightly higher than normal price for a book I want by saying "But it has white pages!". My response is, "So?", and we continue to negotiate in spite of that. And I know numerous buyers who do the same thing, and just as many who will wait three years for a certain book to come along with "White pages" only. Since dealers are salesman I don't begrudge a dealer whatever sales tactic he can muster to maximize his profit margin. :D

-J.

Yes, so the dealer can wait for those people who do care about those factors hence the book will bring a premium and that premium can then be estimated/predicted.

The point I take issue with is you seem to be saying that you can't roughly estimate the premium that desirable attributes will bring. But you can, and I often do, and dealers often do.

For example I had a HG bronze book at the start of the year with white pages and good centering. I listed it for 10% over ($2100) GPA and got that price quickly.

That some others don't care about those factors has nothing to do with those who do care and are willing to pay a premium. Someone familiar with the market and those buyers CAN roughly quantify the premium. To say this is not possible is contrary to common sense and wide spread practice.

I'm not saying that "someone" won't pay a premium for a perceived additional value for PQ. However for every one person or anecdotal incident that you can cite for someone who did, I can cite an anecdote for when someone did not pay a premium or paid the same for a cream page book as they would have for a white one simply because they wanted that particular book. I can also cite numerous examples from my own personal experience with dealers who try to hike the price over PQ, I don't bite and they drop their price because they want to unload the book. If u can afford to hold out for another 3 or 5 percent because you think the PQ on your book warrants it that's great. But for every dealer that tries that and loses a sale there's another one who'll sell the book at market with no price hike and cash out and move on to the next book. The data is so mixed when it comes to keys I stand by my assertion that PQ just isn't as important as some folks make it out to be.

-J.

here is an empirical example for you.

Most recent Heritage auction had two FF 1s I was bidding on (didn't win either one)

First copy 6.5 OW/W very nice eye appeal sold for $10,157.50

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7084&lotNo=91126&lotIdNo=104001

Second copy 5.5 WHITE very nice eye appeal sold for $15,535

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7084&lotNo=91127&lotIdNo=74002

FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE for one grade less

Page quality makes a huge difference

I think it's clear that GPA averages work as a baseline and the market determines the premium or discount based on factors such as PQ, defects, etc.

Ie: Good PQ +5% per grade bump; perfect centering +5% vice versa. These figures are completely arbitrary but I'm sure the data can be examined and extrapolated.

GPA2.0 anyone?

Again I think that would be totally arbitrary and almost completely impossible for GPA to quantify since PQ means less to some people than others, and some will pay almost any price for a tough to find personal grail or, key, or a missing issue in their run no matter how good or bad the cover looks for the assigned grade or how "supple" the internal pages are that no one will ever see or touch anyway unless the book is liberated from the slab. This applies especially to tough to find or valuable grails.

-J.

Just because some individuals have personal preferences does not mean there is not a preference shared by a majority. If there is such a preference you should be able to work out a rough guide.

In fact, some dealers have already got a good grasp of what the rough numbers are and make their money by being able to quantify these qualitative traits.

Of this I have no doubt. However it also depends on what "age" you're talking about. PQ means A LOT less in GA. I'm not saying most buyers wouldn't balk at an AF 15 with slightly brittle pages, but over in the GA a guy will pay $15K for a 1.8 Tec 31 with the same page quality. By the same token over in the BA most might demand a Hulk 181 with nothing worse than OW/W pages, and only a 9.8 with White pages in the CA and MA. I'm not so sure a "majority" have decided what PQ AF 15 should sell for more than another, because after all you only need ONE buyer to want your book, and that brings me back to my only point: Other than a book with brittle pages I think you can throw out PQ as an important or relevant deciding factor when it comes to major keys/grails.

-J.

You just reiterated your point. The fact remains, it is possible to quantify these attributes with a rough working approximation of the boost they give to value.

....and if you have a buyer on the hook ready, willing and able to subscribe to the notion that there should be a "premium". I personally have poo-poohed dealers when they try to justify even a slightly higher than normal price for a book I want by saying "But it has white pages!". My response is, "So?", and we continue to negotiate in spite of that. And I know numerous buyers who do the same thing, and just as many who will wait three years for a certain book to come along with "White pages" only. Since dealers are salesman I don't begrudge a dealer whatever sales tactic he can muster to maximize his profit margin. :D

-J.

Yes, so the dealer can wait for those people who do care about those factors hence the book will bring a premium and that premium can then be estimated/predicted.

The point I take issue with is you seem to be saying that you can't roughly estimate the premium that desirable attributes will bring. But you can, and I often do, and dealers often do.

For example I had a HG bronze book at the start of the year with white pages and good centering. I listed it for 10% over ($2100) GPA and got that price quickly.

That some others don't care about those factors has nothing to do with those who do care and are willing to pay a premium. Someone familiar with the market and those buyers CAN roughly quantify the premium. To say this is not possible is contrary to common sense and wide spread practice.

I'm not saying that "someone" won't pay a premium for a perceived additional value for PQ. However for every one person or anecdotal incident that you can cite for someone who did, I can cite an anecdote for when someone did not pay a premium or paid the same for a cream page book as they would have for a white one simply because they wanted that particular book. I can also cite numerous examples from my own personal experience with dealers who try to hike the price over PQ, I don't bite and they drop their price because they want to unload the book. If u can afford to hold out for another 3 or 5 percent because you think the PQ on your book warrants it that's great. But for every dealer that tries that and loses a sale there's another one who'll sell the book at market with no price hike and cash out and move on to the next book. The data is so mixed when it comes to keys I stand by my assertion that PQ just isn't as important as some folks make it out to be.

-J.

Most recent Heritage auction had two FF 1s I was bidding on (didn't win either one)

In that instance the 5.5 was a Curator copy.

Additionally, the three copies in 6.5 in GPA are as follows:

Nov-21-2013 $10,158 Cert# 0918336001 OW-W

Apr-28-2013 $11,150 Cert# 1135390004 OW-W

Mar-07-2013 $15,000 OW

So the worst PQ of the bunch had the highest sale price…?

I like data too...

GPA2.0 anyone?

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Mar-07-2013 $15,000 OW

So the worst PQ of the bunch had the highest sale price?

I like data too...

Dang it Rofoiii you beat me to the punch with that point/data. Well done. So...yeah...what rofiii said. lol. I think the vast majority of the time, buyers do what dealers always tell them to do: they buy the book and not the grade. Or in this case, they are buying the book and not the PQ- probably the least important and most arbitrary and subjective part of the grading process CGC does, anyway.

-J.

GPA2.0 anyone?

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Mar-07-2013 $15,000 OW

So the worst PQ of the bunch had the highest sale price?

I like data too...

Dang it Rofoiii you beat me to the punch with that point/data. Well done. So...yeah...what rofiii said. lol. I think the vast majority of the time, buyers do what dealers always tell them to do: they buy the book and not the grade. Or in this case, they are buying the book and not the PQ- probably the least important and most arbitrary and subjective part of the grading process CGC does, anyway.

-J.

Yeah, i thin kthat sale was due to the excellent eye appeal of that copy and the possibility it was a curator copy.

That FF 1 in 5.5 is a beautiful copy for the grade, it sold for an astounding $19,000 in 2012 before re-selling for $15,500 this time. Wonder if the new owner will press/re-sub? hm

GPA2.0 anyone?

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Mar-07-2013 $15,000 OW

So the worst PQ of the bunch had the highest sale price…?

I like data too...

these two were head to head, making it more of an empirical view of two data points. The ones you list are disparate data points only connected by the book itself. Venue, eye appeal, etc are not included in those 3 GPA listings.

The 6.5 at Heritage was a flawed book, and had what appeared to be signs of eraser-based 'cleaning' all over the back cover that smeared the print. Could be what held down the price.

More examples that while GPA provides useful data, collectors value not only numerical grades, but eye appeal that can't be gleaned from the GPA data.

The 6.5 at Heritage was a flawed book, and had what appeared to be signs of eraser-based 'cleaning' all over the back cover that smeared the print. Could be what held down the price.

More examples that while GPA provides useful data, collectors value not only numerical grades, but eye appeal that can't be gleaned from the GPA data.

Silly collectors and their opinions on why a book should be worth more or less just because they say so.

Arbitrary added or depleted value based on opinions is always good for hobbies...

Silly collectors and their opinions on why a book should be worth more or less just because they say so.

Arbitrary added or depleted value based on opinions is always good for hobbies...

Indeed. Which is what takes me back to my original point that it only takes ONE person to want a book (and just two at an auction) to determine the price of it or to set a new GPA high....The main numerical grade on the book, and to a much, much greater extent, the PQ listed on a book be damned, if it's a scarce or in demand key, you can throw it all out the back door.

-J.

Just saw this .5 copy, which will be in a ComicLink auction in March 2014. Don't think I've ever seen a .5 with this kind of eye appeal. In fact, insane eye appeal for a Poor book. I'm assuming there's some surprises on the back cover (if there is one :insane:) or the interior, but still...

I can see it cracking the 3,500 mark. Or maybe the first .5 to crack the 4K barrier. Better than average page quality too. :think:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DAmazing%2BFantasy%26x%3D18%26y%3D15%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F995158&id=995158

:news:

Back up the buggy on that .5 that recently sold for 3,250 via Sparkle City Comics. I'm assuming the winner didn't pay because it's back up on the block. Maybe the hammer price this time won't be so seemingly insane.

The "masses" don't necessarily need to be readily familiar with a character in order for his/her first appearance to be considered a "key" within the hobby.

-J.

From the sounds and looks of it, we're just judging keys by value.

If thats the case, lets just rank them from most expensive to cheapest and be done with it.

Personally? I think its MUCH cooler showing a buddy FF #5 and Doom than it is showing ST #110. Once I pull out the ST 110, most would be like... 'huh?"

Of course!

ST 110 cover blows.

I would hate to be a Dr Strange or Thanos fan due to the fact their 1st appearance they are not even on the cover.

Just saw this .5 copy, which will be in a ComicLink auction in March 2014. Don't think I've ever seen a .5 with this kind of eye appeal. In fact, insane eye appeal for a Poor book. I'm assuming there's some surprises on the back cover (if there is one :insane:) or the interior, but still...

I can see it cracking the 3,500 mark. Or maybe the first .5 to crack the 4K barrier. Better than average page quality too. :think:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DAmazing%2BFantasy%26x%3D18%26y%3D15%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F995158&id=995158

no notes on the label either. Maybe a large POBC?

Here is a better scan of my personal copy since the other one I posted before was just a picture with 2 other CGC books in the pic.

Maybe one day I will upgrade, but with the way this book has been steadily rising every year we will see if that ever happens.

608732e0-56fb-46ad-ae30-b1578fdc980a_zpsb03755f3.jpg

John! :hi:

Here is a better scan of my personal copy since the other one I posted before was just a picture with 2 other CGC books in the pic.

Maybe one day I will upgrade, but with the way this book has been steadily rising every year we will see if that ever happens.

Very nice copy, John. Don't let her go.

Very nice copy, John. Don't let her go.

Thanks and I Don't plan to.

It took me a full year to find a copy that caught my eye in the grade I could afford. Was looking at 3.0 to 3.5 that was in my price range so I am very happy with this one.

I buy 3-4 books per year for my personal collection so this year I decided to finally pull the trigger on my flagship book for my collection.