• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I can see a really nice 5.0 selling for 15K....no problem there...the stan sig adds about $250 value imo (that's all it costs to have signed, right?)....

Out of curiosity though, that would be a 1.67% increase in value based off the $15,000 assessment. I cannot help but wonder if it would add a bit more to that. It comes down to the debate regarding even having the major keys signed.

My own theory is that signed keys operate on a bell curve. They would be rarer but undesirable on the higher grades, plentiful in the lower grades but more desirable in the mid grades.

You have sold more CGC AF15 copies than anyone else I have known. Have you ever sold, purchased or been offered signed copies before? What have been the overall trends.

Me? I would never get the book signed but that is my personal preference. I have a few Stan signatures and a couple on Silver Books but on nothing that I could not easily find an unsigned copy if I wanted it.

I personally do not like ss books on vintage keys. On moderns, sure, why not.

I have bought and sold several ss Stan lee af15s and have never placed any premium (whether buying or selling)

I can see a really nice 5.0 selling for 15K....no problem there...the stan sig adds about $250 value imo (that's all it costs to have signed, right?)....

Stan Lees sig adds more then $250 value to an AF15, :shy:

Why? Anyone can buy a 5000-15000 af15, crack out and have it signed by Stan and then regraded (in most every instance grade is the same) for about 125-500 including cgc fees (shrug)

Now maybe there is the outlier buyer that just has to have a ss af15 that is willing to pay more, but my experience (and preference) is that with patience and diligence one doesn't have to (thumbs u

Stan Lees sig adds more then $250 value to an AF15, :shy:

Why? Anyone can buy a 5000-15000 af15, crack out and have it signed by Stan and then regraded (in most every instance grade is the same) for about 125-500 including cgc fees (shrug)

Now maybe there is the outlier buyer that just has to have a ss af15 that is willing to pay more, but my experience (and preference) is that with patience and diligence one doesn't have to (thumbs u

Not to mention that Stan's signature is the most common in comic books…

I know many people who try to avoid it for that very reason, let alone pay a silly premium for something that is VERY easy to obtain.

When I met Stan last year it costs $60 to have him sign a book. I don't know what the CGC cost would be on top of it, if it's more than it would be to just have any other book or the same book non-signed graded.

Personally, I've got enough Stan sigs I wouldn't pay a premium for one. I only paid for the one I mentioned above just so I could meet him. I know that there are people out there that would though.

When I met Stan last year it costs $60 to have him sign a book. I don't know what the CGC cost would be on top of it, if it's more than it would be to just have any other book or the same book non-signed graded.

Personally, I've got enough Stan sigs I wouldn't pay a premium for one. I only paid for the one I mentioned above just so I could meet him. I know that there are people out there that would though.

the sig itself might only be $60, but I always add cost of con (probably $40) and hotel, etc ...$250 is just an avg (thumbs u

The guy can charge whatever he wants. 20K doesn't seem so far fetched to me. (shrug)

Based on what?

It's more than $5,000 more than the highest sale and closer to $7,500 versus the average.

Why does it not seem far fetched?

The sellers can sell it for whatever he wants,you don't have to buy it! I have a 5.0ish raw AF15,and for sentimental reasons it would take more than 20K for me to let go of it.I really don't personally think crapping all over this guys sale of his book is a proper thing to do anyway. I say if you don't like the price move on, but did there have to be a thread about it in the first place?

The guy can charge whatever he wants. 20K doesn't seem so far fetched to me. (shrug)

Based on what?

It's more than $5,000 more than the highest sale and closer to $7,500 versus the average.

Why does it not seem far fetched?

The sellers can sell it for whatever he wants,you don't have to buy it! I have a 5.0ish raw AF15,and for sentimental reasons it would take more than 20K for me to let go of it.I really don't personally think crapping all over this guys sale of his book is a proper thing to do anyway. I say if you don't like the price move on, but did there have to be a thread about it in the first place?

Why are you so frustrated with this?

This isn't in the sales thread and I am merely asking a question we see on a regular basis in reference to eBay, C-Link, Heritage or many other comic selling marketplaces. I don't think that just because the sale is on here that it should be exempt from discussion...

I was seeking to understand why you thought the price was valid, which was your personal opinion. You value the book personally enough to warrant the price tag, which is fine.

At the end of the day, I was less frustrated with the price than the sales positioning. I am not a fan of statements like "data I have seen" when the source is not provided and the generally accepted data is completely contradictory. People can sell things at any price in a public forum, but that also exposes it to public opinion.

I have a blue label CGC with the sig on page one. There is a note written on the CGC label. Does this do anything for the value? Same as a regular CGC SS or no?

That's worthless. You should sell it to me! :gossip:

If it's not a SS book then the sig just isn't officially "verified" so it's considered a graded book that someone just wrote "Stan Lee" on. In general terms, likely worth less than a SS book, but possibly more than a non-signed book if you found the right buyer. If I were you I'd be pretty happy with it.

When I saw the "data I have seen" it raised a flag for me.. just cause I'm a numbers guy.

the only data I see out there that could be used to rationalize his pricetag is (and he gets to price it how ever he wants, but when he cites "data", I take mild issue, just in defense of numbers!)....

There was a CGC SS 6.0 sold not long ago for $26k.

Now maybe the buyer is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, and hit the BIN on a listing he wanted to have ASAP, didnt want to wait, didnt want to buy blue or raw and get it signed..thus the $26k sale but whatever...

THAT data could be used to rationalize a $20k pricetag for a CGC SS 5.5... but it would require to you to have blinders on and ignore all other data (including data that is MORE relevant).

OR

there's a CGC SS AF15 on ebay right now with a BIN of $16k. Thats a 4.5. Maybe you rationalize that your 5.5 is worth 4k more than the 4.5 (cause blue 4.5s are worth about $5k more than blue 5.5s)

those are the only two bits of "data" that I can find that could be used to rationalize his asking price.

[again my disclaimer, I 100% believe that seller gets to set his price, when sellers cite "data" or other market references that get manipulated to help rationalize the price, I get my dander up]

Pricing a book has many variables to it including what someone paid for it, what the market will stand, popularity of the book, etc.

I've priced many books above and beyond what people will pay. Some sold some did not. (thumbs u

When I saw the "data I have seen" it raised a flag for me.. just cause I'm a numbers guy.

the only data I see out there that could be used to rationalize his pricetag is (and he gets to price it how ever he wants, but when he cites "data", I take mild issue, just in defense of numbers!)....

There was a CGC SS 6.0 sold not long ago for $26k.

Now maybe the buyer is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, and hit the BIN on a listing he wanted to have ASAP, didnt want to wait, didnt want to buy blue or raw and get it signed..thus the $26k sale but whatever...

THAT data could be used to rationalize a $20k pricetag for a CGC SS 5.5... but it would require to you to have blinders on and ignore all other data (including data that is MORE relevant).

OR

there's a CGC SS AF15 on ebay right now with a BIN of $16k. Thats a 4.5. Maybe you rationalize that your 5.5 is worth 4k more than the 4.5 (cause blue 4.5s are worth about $5k more than blue 5.5s)

those are the only two bits of "data" that I can find that could be used to rationalize his asking price.

[again my disclaimer, I 100% believe that seller gets to set his price, when sellers cite "data" or other market references that get manipulated to help rationalize the price, I get my dander up]

Good data, thanks for sharing! (thumbs u

I strongly dislike BIN eBay pricing as pricing reasoning...

Pricing a book has many variables to it including what someone paid for it, what the market will stand, popularity of the book, etc.

I've priced many books above and beyond what people will pay. Some sold some did not. (thumbs u

That makes sense to me, but I also know you are more than reasonable with your pricing if asked. :headbang:

I guess I just take issue with the fair pricing based on "mysterious data."

Either way we will see if it sells!

Even AF15s have price resistance.
typically no real resistance as long as priced within 10% of fmv!

Probably could make that statement on most silver mega keys assuming enough time and excluding high grades (where a 10% increase could be tens if not hundreds of thousands).

Here is a picture of my AF #15.

I have had this book for over 20 years and had Stan sign it. I know many are opposed to having books signed but it's something I wanted done. It has not been pressed. Been thinking about having it pressed but haven't decided if I will. Any thoughts on pressing it?

http://www.fotobabble.com/m/ampuZWh6a1FwQ009

and if anyone can PM me instructions on how to put a picture up instead of a link, it would be greatly appreciated!!