• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-FIRST-SPIDER-MAN-MARVEL-CGC-5-0-/360263593482?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e1622e0a

:news:

AF15 CGC 5.0 OW Pence copy

No MC

Starting Bid at $4995

At this starting bid, it is priced to sell. At price of 9K? hm

Wow, that is the nicest pence copy I have ever seen :cloud9: - think it's new to the census as well, (can't remember if the previous highest 9d copy was 4.5 or a 5 - it won't load for me today).

Either way this is priced too high. Not many people care for pence copies so I will be suprised if it reaches this figure. (Unless I win the lottery tonight :wishluck:)

Either way this is priced too high. Not many people care for pence copies so I will be suprised if it reaches this figure. (Unless I win the lottery tonight :wishluck:)

Doesn't this make you Brits bitter about collecting American comics? Once I realized that my eagerness for collecting American comics not only wasn't reciprocated with Americans enjoying British comics, but that Americans held an active disdain for copies of their own comic sold on my shores that are almost entirely the same except the price box and the lack of a month, I suspect I'd begin to get a bad taste for the whole idea of collecting American comics. (shrug)

I suppose like many overseas collectors I fell in love with comics first and then became a collector.

It wasn't until the mid-eighties that I remember certain dealers differentiating between the two (mainly those that had access to the American market. I know plenty of collectors over here who do not care and some who do.

It doesn't make me bitter, it's a shame but at the end of the day it makes 'pence' copies cheaper to buy (and of course less valuable when you sell them on) (shrug)

Personally I would love AF#15 in 9d as this was the first Marvel comic my Dad bought back in '62 and represents a long journey for our family and our love affair with all comics (except maybe the Wife :insane:)

Doesn't this make you Brits bitter about collecting American comics? Once I realized that my eagerness for collecting American comics not only wasn't reciprocated with Americans enjoying British comics, but that Americans held an active disdain for copies of their own comic sold on my shores that are almost entirely the same except the price box and the lack of a month, I suspect I'd begin to get a bad taste for the whole idea of collecting American comics. (shrug)

Part of it might be due to the item's country of origin. For me, since AF #15 is an American comic I would prefer the American version over the British version, although I wouldn't mind having a Pence copy.

I have a small collection of books and if I were to get some first edition Harry Potter books, I would prefer to get the Bloomsbury U.K. editions over the US editions.

Darren

af15 people do you think i can get a copy for 1400-1700?? or should i forget it?

Sure you can find one, but what will it look like? I think you should consider why you are buying it. If it's for you, then the appearance should be more important. For an investment I'd concentrate on a universal CGC copy. For that lower price level, I would seriously consider a restored CGC AF15. You can get a lot nicer looking book that is restored, for the money. Try to find one with nice paper quality, in any case.

I have two pairs of AF15/ASM1, and I'm going to hunt a restored 9.0 of each if I can. I need to find out what they can work with to produce that, or buy and sell to get there. Good luck,

it would be for me not for resale...i would be ok with a 1.0-1.5 blue.. but now im thinking a restored would be ok too.. i dont care about PQ or marvel chipping ..i just want the nicest copy i can get...its a all time grail!!!

it would be for me not for resale...i would be ok with a 1.0-1.5 blue.. but now im thinking a restored would be ok too.. i dont care about PQ or marvel chipping ..i just want the nicest copy i can get...its a all time grail!!!

I thought you already have a book lined up and sold some TOS and Cap books to fund that purchase...so what happened? another AF 15 fell thru?

Given that then I'd find out what grade level you can buy with $1400 or so, in a restored. Compare what that looks like to the unrestored AF15 for the same money. Most non collectors will not understand the issue about restoration, so it's all on you really. Pick the one you would like to have the most.

As for paper quality, everyone should care about that. When these old books become even older, at some point they will begin to fall apart. Handling them will be more and more dangerous, and accidents will happen more often. For the grade level you are looking at, the difference in cost for a OW should be almost nothing compared to a tan or cream version. Meaning don't settle for the first one you find, unless it's a great deal all around.

Given that then I'd find out what grade level you can buy with $1400 or so, in a restored. Compare what that looks like to the unrestored AF15 for the same money. Most non collectors will not understand the issue about restoration, so it's all on you really. Pick the one you would like to have the most.

As for paper quality, everyone should care about that. When these old books become even older, at some point they will begin to fall apart. Handling them will be more and more dangerous, and accidents will happen more often. For the grade level you are looking at, the difference in cost for a OW should be almost nothing compared to a tan or cream version. Meaning don't settle for the first one you find, unless it's a great deal all around.

even light tan or Gasp, slightly brittle pages won't deteriorate any more than they already are in our lifetime, as long as properly stored...

brittle pages may or may not get worse due to handling, but a book that is just slightly brittle in one little spot will be fine for a hundred + years...and any book tan or better will outlast all of us (thumbs u

I doubt that, new paper is fragile. Brittle paper doesn't take much effort to tear. I am very careful handling comics, but that will not stop an occasional tear if you have to handle 50-100 year old brittle paper. That's just my opinion though, yes?

If they cost the same, buy the one with better PQ. Regards,

I doubt that, new paper is fragile. Brittle paper doesn't take much effort to tear. I am very careful handling comics, but that will not stop an occasional tear if you have to handle 50-100 year old brittle paper. That's just my opinion though, yes?

(thumbs u

I thought you already have a book lined up and sold some TOS and Cap books to fund that purchase...so what happened? another AF 15 fell thru?

the 1st time the book was sold before i had all the money..this time im going to hero's so im sure there will be a good chance to find a copy there

the 1st time the book was sold before i had all the money..this time im going to hero's so im sure there will be a good chance to find a copy there

:wishluck: on finding a AF #15

that is what I meant...brittle paper can get worse due to handling, but if you don't handle it, and store it properly, it won't deteriorate...

but, I assume all folks would want better paper over lessor, at same price... my only point is that even slightly brittle or tan and up, will outlast us all...so c-mack is fine in not really worrying about pq on a 1K copy (thumbs u

yeah if i got a copy with brittle pages i would hope for a deal ..but tan and up doesnt matter at all...man a copy for a 1G would be great lol...but i think restored might be a way to go too

yeah if i got a copy with brittle pages i would hope for a deal ..but tan and up doesnt matter at all...man a copy for a 1G would be great lol...but i think restored might be a way to go too
I think most restored copies will cost you 2K more, just because of the restoration cost added onto the low grade comic cost...

you might be able to find a decent low grade in the sub 2K range... especially at heroes hm

yeah ive been looking at gpa for the last few days and prices for restored in the 2.5-3.0 are everywhere....when i get there ill be looking around when i have time and arent at the booth ...of couse ill get some advice from mrbedrock...( who has a copy just WAY out of my league lol)