• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I saw that in the upcoming CLink auction yesterday. That is a very nice 5.5, it looks better than my two raw AF15's that are right in that range.

The 5.5 presents very well. (worship)

Any thoughts as to the final hammer price?

whatever one of us wins it for :baiting:

Better bid high (and smart) ;)

I saw that in the upcoming CLink auction yesterday. That is a very nice 5.5, it looks better than my two raw AF15's that are right in that range.

Better bid high (and smart) ;)

The current actual high bid is $5500.

I'm new to this Board and discussions, but would like to get the Board's comments on a book I am considering. It's on Ebay and is healded as maybe a 7. The seller is a comic book store owner who would only guarentee a 6, yet he has it listed for 45k. the only major defect he says is a "chip" on the back cover. I guess my question is: does a missing piece on the back bottom dramatically affect the CGC grade? Anyone else seen the book?? comments?

I'm new to this Board and discussions, but would like to get the Board's comments on a book I am considering. It's on Ebay and is healded as maybe a 7. The seller is a comic book store owner who would only guarentee a 6, yet he has it listed for 45k. the only major defect he says is a "chip" on the back cover. I guess my question is: does a missing piece on the back bottom dramatically affect the CGC grade? Anyone else seen the book?? comments?

if you are talking about an AF15, then a cgc 7.0 is probably a $30K book and a cgc 6.0 is probably a 15K book...

at 45K, why even consider it (shrug)

At $45k, the only books allowed to have "chunks" missing of any noticeable size are Action 1, Tec 27s and books in that pay grade.

I love AF 15 more than any other book, but as Rick (Gator) said, $45 is nowhere near consideration even as a starting point for bargaining. There is sufficient supply of this issue that you can find one for a much more reasonable starting point and haggle from there.

2c

At $45k, the only books allowed to have "chunks" missing of any noticeable size are Action 1, Tec 27s and books in that pay grade.

I love AF 15 more than any other book, but as Rick (Gator) said, $45 is nowhere near consideration even as a starting point for bargaining. There is sufficient supply of this issue that you can find one for a much more reasonable starting point and haggle from there.

2c

yep. (thumbs u

Welcome to the boards, and the others are right, you'd be much better off dealing with someone who has a realistic starting point.

Check out the 5.5 that is going to auction off at the end of the month on Comic Link. It's a very nice book for the 5.5 grade. It looks better than my raw copy that is estimated at a 6.0 grade.

Find a book that you personally like the appearance of, and then work out a good price. The auction books should start below the ending price, and work up to the final bid.

Check out the apparent 9.0 book on Pedigree.com if appearance and/or price is more important than investment value.

That book will not grade a 7.0,Period.Don't waste your money.

There is too much going on with the front cover top and back spine area,add on the piece missing bottom edge back.No way.7.0

i just got 3 books back from CGC last week at 7.0,and none looked that bad.

welcome! and as usual, you will get some of the best advices around here...never afraid to ask questions (even though some questions are repetitive and can be annoying to some)...we are all noobs once (thumbs u better asked than getting burn or ripped off..most of us here have been there and we can point out all the scammers on Ebay. Heck most scammers there have ripped many of us once or twice years ago and they are still there doing the same old things to the noobs over there.

Stick around, learn, and get more knowledgeable about this hobby. Something you learn will scare you, some will frustrate you, some will make you mad as hell, but hopefully, you will be a better collector in the end.

Touche'. (thumbs u

So ... How much will you bid (rounding off to the nearest dollar?) :baiting:

Touche'. (thumbs u

at least $1 more than you, if you will tell me your max bid :foryou:

Touche'. (thumbs u

With a 'lil love, magic, and pressing, that 5.5 could be a _ . _ ?

Touche'. (thumbs u

It could be a PLOD 9.0, buy it and fix it up for me.

But I still have the high bid on it for now, so bid over $5500. Night,

Touche'. (thumbs u

It could be a PLOD 9.0, buy it and fix it up for me.

But I still have the high bid on it for now, so bid over $5500. Night,

If you'll look close at the upper left spine area, I believe this is what relegated the book to 5.5. Upon close inspection, I bet you'll see vertical wear (almost to the point of riffling) confined to a 1 to 2 inch area along the upper most spine area. Otherwise, the book is a slam dunk 6.0 and possibly a weak 6.5.

But the PQ...just not my style ! :cool:

Thanks for all the advice on this one. I had been trying to talk myself into overreaching for it because of the "potential" I saw in the book. We were at 30k and getting to 25. I thought a 7 would clearly justify it and then there was the looming 7.5. I knew 8 was a joke. But I agree with the comments here. The gambler in me....the prospect of getting a high grade with the anticipation of opening the box from CGC would have been exciting. However, opening up a 6 would have made me a fool.

Thanks for all the advice on this one. I had been trying to talk myself into overreaching for it because of the "potential" I saw in the book. We were at 30k and getting to 25. I thought a 7 would clearly justify it and then there was the looming 7.5. I knew 8 was a joke. But I agree with the comments here. The gambler in me....the prospect of getting a high grade with the anticipation of opening the box from CGC would have been exciting. However, opening up a 6 would have made me a fool.
how about posting some front and back cover scans...certainly will make it easier to advise (thumbs u

Sorry I don't know how to put scans on the Board yet, but the Book I have been commenting on was apparently sold for $30,000 yesterday. You can find it on ebay if you do a search of sold items. I hope the buyer got at least a 7, but I think he really bought maybe a 6.0 or 6.5.

Item No: 300428586012

Sorry I don't know how to put scans on the Board yet, but the Book I have been commenting on was apparently sold for $30,000 yesterday. You can find it on ebay if you do a search of sold items. I hope the buyer got at least a 7, but I think he really bought maybe a 6.0 or 6.5.

Item No: 300428586012

my guess is that the book was already/formerly cgc graded a 6.0, and you did good to stay away at that price...

imo, there is only ONE reason someone sells a nicer than low grade AF15 not slabbed... don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise (thumbs u

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300428586012&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D300428586012%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_956wt_913

Mind boggling to me for anyone to spend $30k on a raw book.

I do like how the seller got a neg for an auction of a box of Sneakers. It never ceased to amaze what people will buy on Ebay...a box of Sneakers?