• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Correct - prices have flattened out. Prices in my opinion will steadily go back up at end of year. I feel sorry for those who paid 10K for 9.8s only to see them down to $2-4K this must hurt bad. Imagine trying to invest for returns only to see 80% drop.

Correct - prices have flattened out. Prices in my opinion will steadily go back up at end of year. I feel sorry for those who paid 10K for 9.8s only to see them down to $2-4K this must hurt bad. Imagine trying to invest for returns only to see 80% drop.

This has always been the risk with chasing 9.8 copies though. Generally census numbers for those copies will only go up (to a degree) as more are located (or 9.4-9.6 books are pressed in chasing a higher return). Can anyone name a bronze/modern book that sold for some crazy number in 9.8 that wasn't worth less a year later? This is somewhat different for Silver Age, but you are even seeing those prices come down from thier loftier heights.

It's like with that Amazing Annual #11, is 50x a reasonable multiple for 9.8 over 9.4 in a book from 1977? Should any book from the 1970's besides serious keys (like Hulk 181) ever go for over $1000 when there are so damned many of them?

the AF 15 bubble seems to have corrected itself quite a bit over the past year and a half...I know metro sold a cgc 9.0 at SDCC for a super strong price...we have sold numerous AF15's at very reasonable fmv lately... my guess is we are on a plateau, pricing wise, right now...so really no better time to buy (thumbs u

I think you are right, but spent way over my limit for this year lol

This has always been the risk with chasing 9.8 copies though. Generally census numbers for those copies will only go up (to a degree) as more are located (or 9.4-9.6 books are pressed in chasing a higher return). Can anyone name a bronze/modern book that sold for some crazy number in 9.8 that wasn't worth less a year later? This is somewhat different for Silver Age, but you are even seeing those prices come down from thier loftier heights.

It's like with that Amazing Annual #11, is 50x a reasonable multiple for 9.8 over 9.4 in a book from 1977? Should any book from the 1970's besides serious keys (like Hulk 181) ever go for over $1000 when there are so damned many of them?

Hulk 181 is extremely undervalued in my opinion despite availability- the demand is so much stronger than supply. In fact I truly believe that hulk 181 is the hottest book on the market incl silver/bronze/modern. This book changes hands really fast and is a highly liquid form of investment -unlike other books where u buy hold and wait for a buyer sometimes it takes many years to find right buyer. The other runner up is asm 129. AF15 is hot but it takes awhile to find someone to shell out big bucks. A asm129 and hulk 181 are still very affordablein 9.2.

This is a perfect time to buy or add to one's collection...prices have pulled back anywhere from 20-40% from the peak depending on the grade. I may add another position since prices are good.

I agree...so I need more people to put their high-grade AF15s up for sale so I can snag one on the CHEAP! :wishluck::devil:

The trader man in the pit says, "Buy buy buy them Spideys !!! :banana:

Bring them out...we need at least 6.0+. :wishluck::banana:

Prices in my opinion will steadily go back up at end of year.

Why's that? The vintage comics market is almost always down at end of year as people start spending money on the holidays.

Hulk 181 is extremely undervalued in my opinion despite availability- the demand is so much stronger than supply. In fact I truly believe that hulk 181 is the hottest book on the market incl silver/bronze/modern. This book changes hands really fast and is a highly liquid form of investment -unlike other books where u buy hold and wait for a buyer sometimes it takes many years to find right buyer. The other runner up is asm 129. AF15 is hot but it takes awhile to find someone to shell out big bucks. A asm129 and hulk 181 are still very affordablein 9.2.

I agree with all of that except the part about Hulk 181 being undervalued. The market is what it is and people pay what they pay quite independently of how we rate books using our own internal ranking system for desirability. Bronze keys in high supply like Hulk 181, X-Men 94, and X-Men GS #1 have seen flat prices for 7+ years now, and the CGC supply is only going up. What could change that trend and cause increases?

the AF 15 bubble seems to have corrected itself quite a bit over the past year and a half...I know metro sold a cgc 9.0 at SDCC for a super strong price...we have sold numerous AF15's at very reasonable fmv lately... my guess is we are on a plateau, pricing wise, right now...so really no better time to buy (thumbs u

I concur. I've noticed sales seem level at this point (and have been as of late); I suspect the correction kicked in and we'll begin moving forward on this book quite soon--though at a much more reserved pace than before :)

I agree with all of that except the part about Hulk 181 being undervalued. The market is what it is and people pay what they pay quite independently of how we rate books using our own internal ranking system for desirability. Bronze keys in high supply like Hulk 181, X-Men 94, and X-Men GS #1 have seen flat prices for 7+ years now, and the CGC supply is only going up. What could change that trend and cause increases?

These bronze had a great run in the 1990's and early 2000's. Demand is always there, but prices hasn't done much due to supply as fantastic_four stated. The laggard will be ASM 129 from the group. All those bronze are great books for the long term...more like 10-20 years before we will see a next leg up...but it will be dead money for a while if one overpaid.

These bronze had a great run in the 1990's and early 2000's. Demand is always there, but prices hasn't done much due to supply as fantastic_four stated. The laggard will be ASM 129 from the group. All those bronze are great books for the long term...more like 10-20 years before we will see a next leg up...but it will be dead money for a while if one overpaid.

I suspect there might be some renewed interest in ASM #129 now that Marvel has announced that Frank Castle is their property again in regards to movie rights.

I've already seen several copies of ASM #129 fetch unusually strong prices this past week.

I concur. I've noticed sales seem level at this point (and have been as of late); I suspect the correction kicked in and we'll begin moving forward on this book quite soon--though at a much more reserved pace than before :)

Metro 8.5 and 9.0 did quite well. The 6.0-8.0 grade had been laggards, but the supply has begun to dwindled compare to the last 8-10 months.

I suspect there might be some renewed interest in ASM #129 now that Marvel has announced that Frank Castle is their property again in regards to movie rights.

I've already seen several copies of ASM #129 fetch unusually strong prices this past week.

hm

But what forces will drive prices up in 10-20 years other than inflation? Supply will likely increase as more copies are graded, and demand would have to increase a LOT in order for prices to keep going up. I don't know that I would buy any Marvel Bronze, including Hulk 181, as an investment. I'd buy a copy because I wanted one, but not with the intention of trading it in on a vacation home when I retire. Remember that Hulk 181 in 9.8 that sold for $25,000 on Clink a year or two ago, when was the last time you saw that price for that book? I'd likewise venture that prices for ASM #129 have gone down considerably from those first 9.8 sales as the census pop has gotten higher and those first die-hard buyers that have to have 9.8 books were satisfied (though this is off memory and I don't have data). I think that investors in Bronze 9.8 run a real risk of serious losses in short, medium, and long term horizons, particularly if they are paying huge multiples over the 9.4-9.6 prices.

Look at the bid history on that Amazing Annual #11 in 9.8. You had two guys who were all in on that book and bid it up to $1100. The third highest was down at $750, so you could reasonably assume that the next copy to auction will probably bring $750 if another serious buyer doesn't enter the market for one. That is a 30% or so haircut off of that auction result, and shows how thin the demand is at those prices.

The silver age continual price increases have a spinoff effect on bronze age mega keys like hulk 181. They view hulk 181 as the bronze top key to hang onto just like af15 is top silver book. GL76 is not anywhere near where hulk 181 is in terms of collectability. GL76 should be at $700 where it was in OSPG #38. Neal Adams work is nice but not that nice to warrant $2000 in 9.2. Actual sales are double that which makes it way over inflated. Yes XMen 94, and X-Men GS #1 are available but the demand is overwhelming.

The silver age continual price increases have a spinoff effect on bronze age mega keys like hulk 181. They view hulk 181 as the bronze top key to hang onto just like af15 is top silver book. GL76 is not anywhere near where hulk 181 is in terms of collectability. GL76 should be at $700 where it was in OSPG #38. Neal Adams work is nice but not that nice to warrant $2000 in 9.2. Actual sales are double that which makes it way over inflated. Yes XMen 94, and X-Men GS #1 are available but the demand is overwhelming.

You could argue that GL76 is in a bubble right now, as prices keep going up and that just fuels the spiral for people to bid higher. It will be interesting to see what happens with that book in 1-2 years, and whether the demand thins. Has anyone paid attention to lower grade copies of GL76? Do the 6.0-9.0 copies have the same level of demand as the 9.2 and higher copies do? If it is a true key you would expect it to sell well at all levels (like a Hulk 181 or X-men 94).

GL 76 seems to be strong in all grades. It also went up in guide substantially this year. I've also heard dealers tell me to hoard the book because they seem to feel there is some upside to the book yet. Tough call but demands seems to be strong and prices steady.

GL 76 seems to be strong in all grades. It also went up in guide substantially this year. I've also heard dealers tell me to hoard the book because they seem to feel there is some upside to the book yet. Tough call but demands seems to be strong and prices steady.

With prices having gone up so much I would still be reluctant to buy it strictly as an investment. There are plenty of other good opportunities out there IMHO, even in Bronze Marvel/DC.

But what forces will drive prices up in 10-20 years other than inflation? Supply will likely increase as more copies are graded, and demand would have to increase a LOT in order for prices to keep going up. I don't know that I would buy any Marvel Bronze, including Hulk 181, as an investment. I'd buy a copy because I wanted one, but not with the intention of trading it in on a vacation home when I retire. Remember that Hulk 181 in 9.8 that sold for $25,000 on Clink a year or two ago, when was the last time you saw that price for that book? I'd likewise venture that prices for ASM #129 have gone down considerably from those first 9.8 sales as the census pop has gotten higher and those first die-hard buyers that have to have 9.8 books were satisfied (though this is off memory and I don't have data). I think that investors in Bronze 9.8 run a real risk of serious losses in short, medium, and long term horizons, particularly if they are paying huge multiples over the 9.4-9.6 prices.

2009 has been the peak for most SA which I have predicted last year, but most BA has peaked earlier with the moderns. If one is purchasing key BA copies NOW at a discount for the long term, the price appreciation over inflation will materialize. I bought most of my bronze stuff before 2000's and feeling the downdraft right now. :P

2009 has been the peak for most SA which I have predicted last year, but most BA has peaked earlier with the moderns. If one is purchasing key BA copies NOW at a discount for the long term, the price appreciation over inflation will materialize. I bought most of my bronze stuff before 2000's and feeling the downdraft right now. :P

I would agree that we are post-peak in Bronze, but I still don't know if I would count on strong price appreciation from this point onward, at least on keys. I think that CGC grading reinjected some sense of scarcity into a lot of these books through the point system, and that seriously reinvigorated the market for ultra high grade books in the early 2000's. But once those die-hard pay-any-price buyers of 9.8 bought and got out of the market, demand seriously thinned. I don't see that level of super demand returning to that stuff (I could be wrong, but I doubt it).