• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Well, I have a story to share.... I am officially out of the club :cry: as of yesterday

What happened? :shrug: Golden Age grail?

More like upgrade :P

These books are a dime a dozen compared to the beauty you just bought. Well done :golfclap:

Thank you :cloud9:

Well, I have a story to share.... I am officially out of the club :cry: as of yesterday

These books are a dime a dozen compared to the beauty you just bought. Well done :golfclap:

Apparently an inside story. Or perhaps I didn't visit a certain thread.

Sharing? :popcorn:

Will soon :)

HELLO PEOPLE ...I followed your suggestion not to restore my AF15...but look at what I did instead:

last month I received an email from CGC with the opportunity to submit books for a private Stan Lee signing.

The AF 15 had REALLY been badly restored in an amateur way decades ago so I decided NOT to have the book PRO-restored... The book was effectively not worth the pain of being PRO extensively restored just to get a purple 6.0 slab...

So I submitted it to CGC for the private Stan Lee Signing! I think that displaying this book with a certified Stan Lee signature, even if in a purple/yellow slab is not bad after all...

As you had forecasted the book was graded restored:

CGC 2.5 Moderate amateur restoration : colour touch, pieces added(?), tears seals, reinforced, staples replaced, top edge cover trimmed.

I will chase an unrestored high grade copy of AF15 instead...

FEDERICO

This is the link to to my book:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/Comics/ComicDetail.aspx?PeopleComicID=230328

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

:gossip: a cgc 1.5 copy of strawberry shortcake #6 :o

:gossip: a cgc 1.5 copy of strawberry shortcake #6 :o

:hail:

Big congrats and thanks for the story!

An awesome .5 imo!

I cannot contain my excitement...

In late October, I received a call from a comic book buddy who gets his new books from the same LCS I do in Buford, GA--basically north Atlanta (actually, it's an hour trek to this place since the LCS in our town closed down a couple years ago). He said that Kyle, the owner of Galactic Quest, had an AF #15 CGC 0.5 blue label for sale. I hung up with my buddy and immediately phoned Kyle. Yes, he did have one but it wasn't on display...but he had showed it to a couple of folks and there was some interest. He wanted 1,000 bucks for it. The cover was detached. There was water damage. There was Marvel chipping. When I asked of the PQ, he said it was decent but obviously wasn't familiar with the designation on the label (I didn't ask).

In owning his store for 20 years, only two AF #15s have walked through his door. One, a few years back, he passed on because the seller wanted too much (it was low grade too). And this one recently came in, and he bought it. He read it with his daughters and then sent it down to Sarasota, FL for CGC certification. He was hoping for a 1.0 but it came back 0.5.

So I set up a meeting the following week, on Nov. 2, to see the book. I thought a deal breaker would be: brittle or tan pages; major soiling, major writing, major tape, etc. Considering it's a 0.5, picky, picky--I know, I know. :lol: Once I saw it, I realized it had CRM/OW pages. The eye appeal sealed the deal for me. Yes, the Marvel chipping is MAJOR. Yes, the cover is detached. Yes, it's the lowest grade CGC offers out of their 10-point scale consisting of 25 units, but...

I've always regretted selling the only other copy of AF #15 that I've ever owned. I've told the story before but it was a pence copy and a kid had traced Spider-Man on the front cover with a blue ball-point pen so it was probably a 0.5, maybe a 1.0. Whatever it was, I sold it for about $150 back in 1992 when I was 25. :cry: I always regretted selling it.

But fast-forward 18 years, and this 43-year-old has just (re-) joined the AF #15 club. :whee::banana::headbang: Many thanks to my beloved wife, Amy, who tolerated the purchase and took the sweet pics which you see here. :cloud9:

Edit: And thanks to rsortor here on the boards who bought my ASM #129--or else I wouldn't have had the funds for this AF #15. Take a bow, Ronnie. :hail:

AF15.jpg

AF15BC.jpg

AF15NewHome.jpg

Nothing fishy about that listing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-9-4-1962-Copy-LOOK-/300493513798?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f6cf2446

White Mountain copy Cert# 0010910002 ...who owns it?

Is that a picture of a new label front...but an old label back?

This type of grade does not grow on trees, there hasn't been any blue label copy in 9.2+ in the market for years. They don't exist. :insane:lol

Big congrats and thanks for the story!

An awesome .5 imo!

I cannot contain my excitement...

In late October, I received a call from a comic book buddy who gets his new books from the same LCS I do in Buford, GA--basically north Atlanta (actually, it's an hour trek to this place since the LCS in our town closed down a couple years ago). He said that Kyle, the owner of Galactic Quest, had an AF #15 CGC 0.5 blue label for sale. I hung up with my buddy and immediately phoned Kyle. Yes, he did have one but it wasn't on display...but he had showed it to a couple of folks and there was some interest. He wanted 1,000 bucks for it. The cover was detached. There was water damage. There was Marvel chipping. When I asked of the PQ, he said it was decent but obviously wasn't familiar with the designation on the label (I didn't ask).

In owning his store for 20 years, only two AF #15s have walked through his door. One, a few years back, he passed on because the seller wanted too much (it was low grade too). And this one recently came in, and he bought it. He read it with his daughters and then sent it down to Sarasota, FL for CGC certification. He was hoping for a 1.0 but it came back 0.5.

So I set up a meeting the following week, on Nov. 2, to see the book. I thought a deal breaker would be: brittle or tan pages; major soiling, major writing, major tape, etc. Considering it's a 0.5, picky, picky--I know, I know. :lol: Once I saw it, I realized it had CRM/OW pages. The eye appeal sealed the deal for me. Yes, the Marvel chipping is MAJOR. Yes, the cover is detached. Yes, it's the lowest grade CGC offers out of their 10-point scale consisting of 25 units, but...

I've always regretted selling the only other copy of AF #15 that I've ever owned. I've told the story before but it was a pence copy and a kid had traced Spider-Man on the front cover with a blue ball-point pen so it was probably a 0.5, maybe a 1.0. Whatever it was, I sold it for about $150 back in 1992 when I was 25. :cry: I always regretted selling it.

But fast-forward 18 years, and this 43-year-old has just (re-) joined the AF #15 club. :whee::banana::headbang: Many thanks to my beloved wife, Amy, who tolerated the purchase and took the sweet pics which you see here. :cloud9:

Edit: And thanks to rsortor here on the boards who bought my ASM #129--or else I wouldn't have had the funds for this AF #15. Take a bow, Ronnie. :hail:

AF15.jpg

AF15BC.jpg

AF15NewHome.jpg

Welcome (back) to the Club.