• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

The spine is SWEET but thats a LOT of MC for 60k! hm

That is a sweet spine. A bit silly since it's was purchase for like around $35K.

+1

Beautiful spine but no book with marvel chipping should be graded a 7.5.....very distracting imo.

looks like the seller accepted an offer on this one yesterday, I had it in my notes and the asking price was $11,375 ~ sold for $9000 with bigtime MC

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%26ItemType%3DCB&id=851305

I just realized that this is actually the book that had sold on ebay for $18,000

http://itsalljustcomics.com/2011/03/13/high-value-ebay-comics-auction-for-the-week-ending-2011-3-12/

GPA will hopefully correct this bonner

That is a sweet spine. A bit silly since it's was purchase for like around $35K.

+1

Beautiful spine but no book with marvel chipping should be graded a 7.5.....very distracting imo.

But if it is truly a 9.2 without the chipping (per the description) then what would you downgrade to? Going from a 9.2 to 7.5 based on that relatively shallow chipping seems reasonable to me...

+1

But if it is truly a 9.2 without the chipping (per the description) then what would you downgrade to? Going from a 9.2 to 7.5 based on that relatively shallow chipping seems reasonable to me...

I understand manufactured defects are looked at with more leniency. What if you have a book that is otherwise a 9.2 but had multiple edge creases along the right edge (same surface area as the copy with MC) that brings the book down to a 6.0 or 5.5. This example has no missing pieces. I would consider the copy with no missing pieces more desirable compared to the 7.5 with MC, therefore I would have a hard time grading the copy with MC a 7.5. I never liked MC, so I guess I am biased.

+1

+1

+1

+1

Of course, you should always buy the book and not the grade. If you don't like chipping then don't buy a chipped book. But I am curious what you would do with chipping if downgrading an otherwise 9.2 book to a 7.5 isn't enough for you. How would you suggest handling the chipping?

Grade the book based on all of the defects, including production faults. Buy the book based on the appearance, not the grade.

I don't like MC either, but I have no problem for them to get leniency in grading, or harsh grading because of it. I personally would go down the middle, ding the grade but not condemn the book.

Let the buyers decide what MC books should bring price wise etc. It's the same thing for restored books, people avoid them but they still have a value, determined by the buyers.

+1

+1

Of course, you should always buy the book and not the grade. If you don't like chipping then don't buy a chipped book. But I am curious what you would do with chipping if downgrading an otherwise 9.2 book to a 7.5 isn't enough for you. How would you suggest handling the chipping?

I agree on buying the book and not just the grade. Don't get me wrong, I don't like MC, but will still consider a book with chipping if it is priced right or lower grade. To answer your question, personally, I think chipping does not warrant higher than 6.0 (maybe 6.5).