• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Can I join the club ?

Amazing Fantasy # 15 in 9.2 - Cream to Off-White Pages

wpe32a7c3c_0f.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #1 in 8.0 - Off-White Pages

wp8147a122_0f.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #2 in 8.0 - White Pages

wp0693201c_0f.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #3 in 8.5 - Off-White Pages

wpc763df59_0f.jpg

No, that is not quite good enough to get into the club, I am afraid. lol

Gorgeous books, by the way. Is there an interesting story behind them?

Not really, other than being unable to decide whether to spend as much as I did ( $9000) on a restored AF #15 or put the money on a lower grade unrestored copy. I've had it for about a year now and am very happy I did. I just like how good it is to look at !

Nice books.

You un-slabbed them?

Yes - I like to unslab them and replace the micro-chamber paper as it's supposed to be replaced every 10 years or so. This way I know exactly how long the paper has been in use for. I'm very anal with my comics :)

Well gents, looks like I won't be joining up any time soon. So... unless a beater low grade goes up for sale in here, I'll probably limit my views on this thread to keep my AF 15 envy down to a minimum.

Still can't believe the 0.5 MR went for $1,451. :frustrated:

I don't understand why the minimum bid jumped from $50 to $100.

I was bidding on this, too. I'd rather take the $1,551 it would've cost me to win and go get a bigger TV. Not to mention it was RESTORED. :makepoint:

similar to me, I could have bought 1 low grade AF 15 six months ago or 2 large flatscreen HDTV`S. I opted for the 2 tv`s. of course my wife is happy with my decision. I would never pay 1,451 for a 0.5. I like my future AF 15 to look a little better than that. but congrats to the winner at least he is part of the club.

Let's see if November is the month that AF15 starts to cool. The economy has reached a fever condition and there are a bunch coming up in the CL and Heritage auction.

I say between now and the time we get our next refunds again(feb/march) might be the best time to get a low grade AF 15. We shall see.

Guys...

I might've found an admission ticket. :o Of course, it has one wicked defect to it--one I've never seen before on a comic: each page (including the front and back covers) has been laminated (not the thick stuff, but the light and pliable laminate). The owner is willing to work with me on the price (which is a rarity) due to the fact this book would no doubt take a nice, fat hit from CGC if it were ever submitted for official grading. This would obviously make a great reading copy as it'd be pretty damn hard to ruin. On the other hand, do you guys see this is as being a more "risky" investment than a non-laminated 0.5 to 1.0 copy? (cause let's face it--even if we do see a temporary, market driven drop in prices on this book in the short term, I'm not going to be able to afford much better than a 1.0).

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I think I heard of that book. Owner went nut and laminated every page lol

I can understand tape but every page laminated? hm

Personally, I'd look for another copy. Couldn't you use that live.com thing I heard about to help reduce the price?

Yeah, but the cashback is capped at $200 off. And I would be looking to use this to help bring the price down.

You know it's okay to not own a copy right?

Guys...

I might've found an admission ticket. :o Of course, it has one wicked defect to it--one I've never seen before on a comic: each page (including the front and back covers) has been laminated (not the thick stuff, but the light and pliable laminate). The owner is willing to work with me on the price (which is a rarity) due to the fact this book would no doubt take a nice, fat hit from CGC if it were ever submitted for official grading. This would obviously make a great reading copy as it'd be pretty damn hard to ruin. On the other hand, do you guys see this is as being a more "risky" investment than a non-laminated 0.5 to 1.0 copy? (cause let's face it--even if we do see a temporary, market driven drop in prices on this book in the short term, I'm not going to be able to afford much better than a 1.0).

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I agree with Piper, I'd continue saving up and wait. It's hard to imagine a laminated copy "feeling" right...I'd think it would feel almost like a reprint. Plus who knows what that lamination will do to the pages over time. And yes, I do think it's a riskier investment.

(For what it's worth, I'm not in the club either!) (:

Ok...

You go to Live.com (a search engine) and type in what item you want to buy. Then, it will provide you with a list of links. At the very top ( in the banner) should be something that says eBay Cashback 25% off. Click on this and it will direct you to eBay. From there, you search for what you want and purchase the item with Buy It Now. Before you clear the purchase, it SHOULD say that the item is eligible for the 25% Cashback discount. Once you pay for the item w/ paypal, you'll get a message in your eBay in box stating you will have a rebate coming to you. You have to wait 60 days before the rebate will deposit into your PP account, but it still works!

MacMan. mmm, not sure on a laminated copy. Ok, to be fair, I wouldn't be satisfied with a laminated copy. But if it's a good deal, then maybe it's for you.

I guess I'm out of the loop on prices since I'm not really buying or selling, but looks like things are getting crazy.

Well, I've slept on it guys and the more I've thought about it the more I'm finding myself bothered with it. It's not that I mind the lamination thing, but what concerns me is the negative effect the adhesive will have on the book (and has already had) down the road. If I was looking to simply make some money, I'd submit it to CGC and still make some money. But, I'm looking for a keeper copy. So, I'm not sure I can move forward on this...