• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Free speech anyone. If we want to censure MC. Let's go ahead and ban Pressing, Greggy bashing, Comiclink Heritage and Pedigree bashing, Metropolis has high prices complaints, Danny Boy is still cheating people on Ebay, and any other topics that we like to beat into submission.

Oh and that reminds why is Marvel chipping regarded any worse than big color breaking creases, tan pages, couplons missing, staple pulls, rips or any other hideous defects?

If you hate Marvel chipping collect DCs.

Good point.

I'll say it again....MC sux. :roflmao:

I personally fee that marvel chipping for copies 3.5 and lower is just fine...great if you can find a copy without, but you will pay a premium for it...

if a copy and a price makes you happy, then that should be most of all that matters (thumbs u

MC sux :makepoint:

To each their own Pewee.

My 4.0 has some chipping on it and it doesn't bother me much at all since the rest of the book is very strong.

A massive stain on the cover, rusty staples, tan pages or foxing would ALL bother me MUCH MUCH more than chipping.

This constant dumping on MC is getting a little repetative. :foryou:

I'm not a MC fan at all but i can vouch for the freaking SWEETNESS of brunos 4.0! I'm still kicking myself almost 9 months later for letting him outbid me on that copy. Definitely a VERY nice 4.0 (worship)

MC isnt a death sentence especially in the lower grades for me (thumbs u

A ent on Heritage yesterday for $6500. That's a pretty strong price, isn't it?
My faullt. And it is pressable to a 4.5

You think so? I didn't think it was particularly attractive.

If it presses to 4.5 I visualize G.A.tor doing a victory dance: :banana:

ow/w page quality and no "affordability chips" gave it more appeal than many of the 3.5s out there (which explains why it graded out as a 4.0 I imagine), but I was surprised at the result too. But I have a thin wallet...I imagine the seller's not displeased.

I wish I were more knowledgeable about pressing to opine about the book's prospects.

I paid 6800 for the 4.0 on clink and that one was a slam dunk press to 4.5 and maybe even 5.0 according to the "experts"...

I thought this one had a chance at 4.5, and I bid to the increment that someone else already had a proxy on (5500) but I was outbid because they had a 5500 in before me...the next bid increment was 6K (500 a pop) and I wasn't willing to risk 7200 on a potential 4.5 so I stopped bidding...but I drove it to 5500 + juice from 4500 + jucie

Sometimes, "Bid early, bid often" is a winning strategy. I saw that $500 increment, too, and balked. I was out a while before that...

I think Comiclink might have a better bid increment system:

$1,000-$9,999 $100

$10,000-$29,999 $250

Heritage:

$1000-$1,999 $100

$2,000 - $2,999 $200

$3,000 - $4,999 $250

$5,000 - $9,999 $500

$10,000 - $19,999 $1,000

$20,000-$29,999 $2,000

The increments on Heritage lead to a sameness of auction results. I've seen titles with the same grade and page quality, etc., go for the same price even years apart, because the bid increments discourage that next bid...

Just as their inadequate spending on infrastructure (I have a telecom background) led to a problem with internet lag during the last live auction and left some bidders unable to get their bids in, Heritage is leaving money on the table by having such large bid increments (in my opinion).

I have to give them props for their use of Google search optimization (look at their search results compared to the other auction houses) and for reporting to the GPA, but it is hard to intuit a trend in prices when you see a flat line :)

It's funny because while many dislike Marvel Chipping (myself included), I can TOTALLY relate to others having no problem with it. I, for one, have absolutely NO problem with trimming and I think it's absolutely hilarious that it's considered the WORST of all forms of restoration. Yes, yes, I know it can't be undone but when it is done well, it makes the book look fantastic! And even when it's not a perfect job, it's a much nicer looking defect than stains, water damage, etc. And believe me: I'm in the minority on this belief. But that's the beauty of collecting: You find what you like, you know what your tolerances are, and you go with it!

It's funny because while many dislike Marvel Chipping (myself included), I can TOTALLY relate to others having no problem with it. I, for one, have absolutely NO problem with trimming and I think it's absolutely hilarious that it's considered the WORST of all forms of restoration. Yes, yes, I know it can't be undone but when it is done well, it makes the book look fantastic! And even when it's not a perfect job, it's a much nicer looking defect than stains, water damage, etc. And believe me: I'm in the minority on this belief. But that's the beauty of collecting: You find what you like, you know what your tolerances are, and you go with it!

You would have LOVED my 2nd AF15 purchased in 1987. Was NM/M but square trimmed all around with eye-popping ultra razor-sharp corners. No spine wear or creases whatsoever. :luhv:

A guy named Jack Hammersly sold it to me.

You would have LOVED my 2nd AF15 purchased in 1987. Was NM/M but square trimmed all around with eye-popping ultra razor-sharp corners. No spine wear or creases whatsoever. :luhv:

A guy named Jack Hammersly sold it to me.

Ditto Mac Man, and what I was thinking is that, trimming can take care of any MC issues. I don't like trimming but it's less unsightly than MC. I just hope fewer bad dealers are out there using the paper cutters. It's not worth the risk on the high dollar books.

I paid 6800 for the 4.0 on clink and that one was a slam dunk press to 4.5 and maybe even 5.0 according to the "experts"...

I thought this one had a chance at 4.5, and I bid to the increment that someone else already had a proxy on (5500) but I was outbid because they had a 5500 in before me...the next bid increment was 6K (500 a pop) and I wasn't willing to risk 7200 on a potential 4.5 so I stopped bidding...but I drove it to 5500 + juice from 4500 + jucie

press alert: check ha.com-4.5 to5.5; 5.5to6; 5.5 to 7; I know b/c I own the 4.5 to 5.5

Its kind of funny the back and forth with MC. Well why would someone perfer it? they wouldnt im not going to go look for and AF15 with the most chips i can because no one would. I think it comes down to how much it bothers you personally. I dont mind it that much , but then again if i were buying one say 7.0 or higher i may not want it obviously. When I (and i know im not the only one) is buying a book like AF15 and i dont have tons of money so for me its not a deal breaker since my book now looks a feel better than the grade but it has chips (shrug) I sometimes just dont get people bashing MC if we all had hundreds of thousands to spend on books then we could all bash it but some people buy the book cause they love the book and its all they could afford at the time.

Its kind of funny the back and forth with MC. Well why would someone perfer it? they wouldnt im not going to go look for and AF15 with the most chips i can because no one would. I think it comes down to how much it bothers you personally. I dont mind it that much , but then again if i were buying one say 7.0 or higher i may not want it obviously. When I (and i know im not the only one) is buying a book like AF15 and i dont have tons of money so for me its not a deal breaker since my book now looks a feel better than the grade but it has chips (shrug) I sometimes just dont get people bashing MC if we all had hundreds of thousands to spend on books then we could all bash it but some people buy the book cause they love the book and its all they could afford at the time.

(thumbs u I'll just stick to my 5.0 with Marvel chips and all.

I'm with you, mine has some chips along the upper half but it's not crazy and from a few feet away it certainly doesn't detract the way a big color break right in the middle of Spidey's chest would, at least in my opinion. MC seems to be a bandwagon to jump on and given the 3.0s that I've seen it's possible to get one without at that grade level but it's a tradeoff for some other defect, typically something that I find more offensive as far as visual appeal is concerned.

Some books out there definitely have so much chipping that it looks like it was pulled out of a shredder so I can certainly see why some people would balk at it and I've declined books I was interested in because of them. The overall appeal is important to me because when I spend hundreds of dollars (or more) on a comic I'd like to be able to look at it with enjoyment so I can understand why chipping would be something that someone focuses on every time they look a comic. If that drew my focus every time so that I couldn't enjoy an iconic cover then I wouldn't want it either. I remember seeing a few years ago, I think on Comiclink, a copy of AF15 that had a big color break right in Spidey's crotch area. No idea if there was any chipping but that would have been enough for me to not buy it simply because I could never overlook that and think that it was all anyone else would see as well. :grin: