• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Can't compete with the high grades but thanks to our own Flaming Telepath (Nick), I finally completed my SA Marvel key collection with this one

[image Edited Out for Brevity]

Very nice 2.5! Same grade as the one I just got. Today I just gave it to Classics Incorporated for pressing. Just promise you won't tell anyone because I don't want anyone knowing.

Can't compete with the high grades but thanks to our own Flaming Telepath (Nick), I finally completed my SA Marvel key collection with this one

[image Edited Out for Brevity]

Very nice 2.5! Same grade as the one I just got. Today I just gave it to Classics Incorporated for pressing. Just promise you won't tell anyone because I don't want anyone knowing.

Let us know how this turns out.

Sweet book. That looks nicer than the Saginaw 8.5 on eBay. Besides the spine it looks a lot better than VF.

Beautiful. (worship)

I think so too. But the Saginaw has WPs ! :cloud9:

FYI, the paper quality of those early Saginaw books are not ideal. I say that because they have a bunch of pre Marvel chipping. Who wants a white page book with pre chipping?

I'd rather have any book without pre chipping, in OW or OW/W, instead of White with the pre chipping.

I know it's just another big subject. To me there are several key factors to a collectable comic book. The grade is only one factor. What is the PQ assigned by CGC? In my mind that is trivial, they have poor standards. To me paper quality is extremely important.

The Marvel chipping is far more important than the CGC PQ designation. Restoration is another big factor, and each one is different in importance(trimming and pressing as examples). The registration of a book is important too, and some things mean more to some people.

CGC could help everyone a great deal if they would alter the paper quality grading system. Right now it seems childish, they find the lightest PQ in a book, and weigh that against whatever darker areas there are. They seem to lean to the lightest spot in the book, and bring it down a hair if there is any tanning or sun shadow etc.

I've said it before, the PQ should also be a numbered scale, 0-10 would work well. The top PQ would be a book with zero paper issues and fully bone white. Each and every paper defect should have an affect on the PQ grade. Right now the CGC book grades are a compromise of old accepted letter grades. There's no reason they could not have done the same thing with PQ from the start.

Also peter loves gwen, Thats what I've been saying about the sarley 8.0, yes its a half grade lower but is it as nice as the saginaw 8.5? yes it is, there just seems to be little respect in the numerical grading system reguarding centering, gloss, color strike, just seems to be based on eye appeal as far as tangible defects, I would love to see the system lean towards the way baseball cards are graded, centering, corners ,ect.

Don,

I agree with you on the PQ standard. Unfortunately, any improvement heres will add cost and time to the entire grading process as we have it right now.

If business slow down, perhaps we will see new PQ system or new grade (i.e. 8.8 ) that will create a big boom cycle in cracking and resubbing.

The status quo is going too well right now for any changes.

Heck I wish they would just change the cert# to include PQ..easy, just insert one extra digit at the end

0 would be white

1 would be ow/w

2 would ow

etc..

this minute change wouldn't be hard and immediately the data one can get using the cert as well as GPA will be significantly improve but hey...no direct revenue gain for CGC so who cares right? why bothers?

Yep that the pressed 8.5, still nice though (worship)

Yes it's great, I'm not condemning that beautiful VF copy at all. It's at $75,550 right now BTW.

I made the comment because the majority of all other early issues of that collection have pre chipping. If the "story" about the collection is true, they all came from the same store and were stored the same way. I would love to have that 8.5, but the other issues do scare me as to the PQ.

If CGC would do something useful about the PQ grading, like a number range, then there could be a way to tell a brittle white paged book from a non brittle copy. The same would apply to paper that has pre chipping. Imagine the defects like that which people don't see in pictures, let alone a book in a case through two layers of plastic.

When CGC grades a book, they see so much more of the condition of the book. I wish they would do something with the PQ designation to help distinguish between books. Here we set looking at pictures on a computer screen, comparing books by the PQ words they use, extremely vague to me. They could do better, I wish that they would.

The status quo is going too well right now for any changes.

You are right Nick, that's the key right now.

I think the PQ being added to the serial # could help, but IMO not with the way they do PQ now. It means very little to me to know a book is "white" pages compared to the registration of the book. I will not buy a "white" page book if the registration is off.

Right now how do they assign the PQ?

I submit that it's a short process where they use a cute little PQ card like Overstreet put out 20+ years ago. I think the PQ is an afterthought, really simple as they do it, and takes maybe 20 seconds.

What I'd like them to do is to pay attention to the exact same things they do now(zero extra time), and then ponder the value of the several paper quality factors. They spend all of their time looking for defects basically. Why can't they spend an extra 30-60 seconds thinking about the factors regarding PQ besides the actual lightest spot in the book that they find?

They should consider the other factors which they have already found and seen(zero time added). Consider the brittleness of the paper over all, the Marvel chipping if any, tanning, dust shadows, and stains. They already find and consider every one of those as it affects the grade, why can't they spend a trivial amount of time applying those same judgements to the PQ.

Right now they simply have to group any paper defects into a few basic PQ words, White, OW/W, OW, COW etc. They should be able to do the same thing except group them into number grades. It should not take more than an extra few seconds, 20, 30, 60 seconds at most. Flip through the book just like they do now to find the "card" color match. Spend a few seconds to "judge" the PQ in their mind, and assign a number grade to it.

That number grade could also be included in the certification #, and that would be useful.

It doesn't need to be minute number changes either, whole numbers from 10 down to 1 would work well. Regards,