• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I disagree about being a better image. I like the skinny bug like spidey better.

I think the beefier AF15 version just reflects the popularity of large, muscular superheroes during that era. What were some of the deeper conclusions students drew about the differences between society in 1962 and 2000?

I disagree about being a better image. I like the skinny bug like spidey better.

I think the beefier AF15 version just reflects the popularity of large, muscular superheroes during that era. What were some of the deeper conclusions students drew about the differences between society in 1962 and 2000?

Well, the students felt the stronger image was the Kirby cover from 1962 because it was intentional--there was a narrative present and, while Spidey was the focus, he wasn't the only thing present. Each part helped drive the story. Additionally, Spider-Man seemed more real--strong looking but still realistic. The modern picture had no background and simply had him posing as if to say "Damm! I'm a badazz!" He was portrayed with tons of muscles and shiny--as if he used body paint and then was sprayed with oil.

Their overall thoughts left them thinking we're much more shallow today as the only thing present in the modern picture was something that appealed to sex and violence; the other made you think and told a story.

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.0 TC OW/W $20315.00

As much as I love this copy, having seen it in person, it hammered at just about what it hammered at when it was first auctioned a few months ago. As beautiful as this book is, it seems that buyers can't get over that fold on the cover.