• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Might as well pose this question here than starting a new thread in general.

AF 15's have been increasing in value especially in the 1.0-5.0 range 25-30% since 2009/2010.

It used to be you could get a CGC 3.0/5.5 for under 4k, and now that seems to be a thing of the past.

So what do you guys think......

Is AF 15 looking like a short-term bubble in terms of if you buy a copy right now in .5-6.0 CGC it might be too high to buy?

or

Does this book have so much demand that while not a rare book it really becoming a book that many collectors will not be able to afford in the years to come?

Of course AF 15 is still much more affordable than TEC 27 or Action 1, but the way this book is going I am beginning to think every year one may wait it could cost you a 10-20% extra hit in your wallet.

BTW By bubble book I mean the book could return to 2009-2010 levels. Not saying AF 15 will burst like Walking Dead #1, etc. lol

John

Gotta go with B (thumbs u

Unless the entire hobby collapses, I think it will just go up and up. Sure it might have a few real short stretches where the price drops back just a little but it's so iconic, I can't see the price increases stopping (shrug)

Gotta go with B (thumbs u

Unless the entire hobby collapses, I think it will just go up and up. Sure it might have a few real short stretches where the price drops back just a little but it's so iconic, I can't see the price increases stopping (shrug)

I knew you would be back. ;)

I also do realize with the reboot movie hitting the theaters this summer you have people buying the book with sheep like mentality.

Hopefully after the movie hype is over the price should stabilize a little bit.

When you were last here, my AF 15 was selling at the 5.0 price. Now it's even higher, I think the demand is always going to be more than the supply of the copies out there.

If there are 20 times more AF 15's than there are some GA big book, but 50 times more collectors/buyers, the AF 15 will stay hot. So far that's how the market is. Only if a bunch of never seen copies popped up, then prices would "pop."

I think at current prices, the upcoming movie is having little to no impact in demand (shrug) we have seen this upward tick for some time now... the real tell tale will be if prices pull back after the movie, but I honestly don't see that happening...

really just an issue of collectors wanting what they want, and paying for it

+1

And a lot of collectors that may not have been as interested previously... realizing how special and important this book is to have as a cornerstone in their collections (much like myself) :cloud9:

Legend Comics in Omaha is giving away a 2.0-ish copy on Free Comic Book Day. You buy a $5 door prize ticket and take your chances. You need not be present to win, and ALL procedes go to Make-A-Wish!

It's a nice way to gain entry to the club. :baiting:

www.legendcomicsomaha.com

Good Folks! Tell 'em Jack sent ya!

I think at current prices, the upcoming movie is having little to no impact in demand (shrug) we have seen this upward tick for some time now... the real tell tale will be if prices pull back after the movie, but I honestly don't see that happening...

hm

Do you think that will spill over into an increase in value for AF #15 PLODS as well, since some people will be happy to just own a copy in any shape?

Do you think that will spill over into an increase in value for AF #15 PLODS as well, since some people will be happy to just own a copy in any shape?

Supply and demand will create pricing movements. With a still relative abundance of unrestored copies available in the market at any one time , restored copies will still sell but price points drive sales not the demand factor (yet)

Legend Comics in Omaha is giving away a 2.0-ish copy on Free Comic Book Day. You buy a $5 door prize ticket and take your chances. You need not be present to win, and ALL procedes go to Make-A-Wish!

It's a nice way to gain entry to the club. :baiting:

www.legendcomicsomaha.com

Good Folks! Tell 'em Jack sent ya!

Thanks for posting this information. :hail: Talk about a win-win situation.

I think we have to remember the popularity side, too, in terms of projections. Spider-man is the Superman of this generation. I'm a DC guy, and i even know that unless Superman becomes relevant really quickly, his fans may only exist in the comic world.

Spider-man's popularity will only increase as current fans get older, make more money, etc.

I think the PLODS will get grow higher, but these will significantly impact the Blues. I'm amazed at the amount of PLODDED AF 15's. Maybe this is when people really started to understand the dollar value within the hobby?

I think the PLODS will get grow higher, but these will significantly impact the Blues. I'm amazed at the amount of PLODDED AF 15's. Maybe this is when people really started to understand the dollar value within the hobby?

I think that the many PLOD AF15's came from 20-30 years ago, when the book began to be expensive($500-$5000). Back then a majority of sales were to strangers at conventions or by mail order. Everything was raw, so all transactions were based on the grading of the seller, most of the time being too high. It was probably very easy for quite a few disreputable dealers to decide to "enhance" their books to make them appear better. Restoration hadn't become such a bad thing by that time yet, plus the affect on the value was minimal then. Now it kills the value, but back then trimming and color touch was not well known except to the experts, so those unethical dealers got away with it generally speaking.

The AF 15 is very popular now, and it was very popular then also, and that contributed to the large number of restored copies now seen in the CGC census.

I think that the many PLOD AF15's came from 20-30 years ago, when the book began to be expensive($500-$5000). Back then a majority of sales were to strangers at conventions or by mail order. Everything was raw, so all transactions were based on the grading of the seller, most of the time being too high. It was probably very easy for quite a few disreputable dealers to decide to "enhance" their books to make them appear better. Restoration hadn't become such a bad thing by that time yet, plus the affect on the value was minimal then. Now it kills the value, but back then trimming and color touch was not well known except to the experts, so those unethical dealers got away with it generally speaking.

The AF 15 is very popular now, and it was very popular then also, and that contributed to the large number of restored copies now seen in the CGC census.

I remember former head of CGC Steve Borock mentioning something about the relatively high # of restored keys and him citing AF #15 specifically. As of yesterday, there were 496 purple labels out of 1,673 total :whatthe: ...so basically 30% come back restored. Like you say Don, it's probably safe to assume that back in the '80s or '90s if you didn't know how to detect restoration, then you had a 3 in 10 chance of picking up an AF #15 that had been tampered with. :eek: