Amazing Fantasy #15 Club
9 9

7,733 posts in this topic

Mysterio, you posted a couple weeks back about an interest in the Library of Congress AF files. Check out page 46 of this thread for some links I posted then (years old, but still active links. I checked.) And further down the page, another pic of AF 15 original art contributed by another boardie.

Other than going to the first page and paging forward a few pages at a time, is there an easier way to get to page 46 on a thread that is 650 pages long?(under default posts per page settings)

The fastest way is to go to Topic Options, and choose threaded mode. That will list many more on the same page. It's not easy but it is much faster to do it that way.

Just go into the URL "readout" on your browser and replace the current page with the one you want and hit enter. i.e, replace 434 with 46 in the example below.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=newreply&Board=16&Number=6143073&what=showflat&fpart=434&q=1

Excellent solution, and very simple. Thanks,

Here are the two main posts about that Library of Congress subject.

Here’s what happened last month at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC. Since I was in town, as a first-time tourist, I checked out the Periodicals Reading Room which has lots of old issues of comic books. After quite a rigamarole to register as a user and about an hour of paperwork, I found myself with a half-dozen copies of some old EC comics from the 1950’s that I’m sure I’ll never see again. Always wanted to do that. But also, I found out that the Library had just received a donation of the original artwork for Amazing Fantasy 15!

http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0805/spiderman.html

http://www.loc.gov/blog/?p=290

Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough time left in the day for another paperwork drill which would have enabled me to view the actual artwork. I did, however, get to see the large, high-resolution digital scans of it all, and those scans are not available on the Internet, only from within the Library itself.

The most interesting was the first (splash) page. The banner (“Spiderman”) had been completely whited out and re-drawn; of course, there’s no way of knowing what the original layout was. Also, the profile face of the girl on Page 1 was also whited out and re-drawn. That’s the only place I could see where Steve Ditko’s art was redone. There were about a dozen places throughout the story where dialogue within the balloons was changed.

Anyway, it was an interesting view. If you ever get to Washington, go to the “Prints and Photographs and Reading Room” in the Madison building and apply to see the original art. Actual originals of the Gutenberg bible, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Magna Carta, and Amazing Fantasy 15 – yeah, that about covers it.

The most interesting was the first (splash) page. The banner (“Spiderman”) had been completely whited out and re-drawn; of course, there’s no way of knowing what the original layout was.

In this photo you can see that there were originally webs drawn around the Spider-Man figure on the top banner, and we also get a peek at what the original logo looks like under the paste up:

amazing-fantasy-15-page-1.jpg

I don't think it's right to tell people you are a serious comic book collector unless you can say you have one of these.

There was a time that I didn't have one of these but had unrestored copies of Action #1, Tec # 27 and Marvel #1.

But thinking about it nobody ever took me seriously.

I don't think it's right to tell people you are a serious comic book collector unless you can say you have one of these.

There was a time that I didn't have one of these but had unrestored copies of Action #1, Tec # 27 and Marvel #1.

(worship):golfclap:

I Finally have my ticket to the club :cloud9:

MyAF15.jpg

MyAF15Back.jpg

Guess this is me in the very near future. :banana:

Officially in my hands now....ready for list updating. Thanks to gaz2810i (Gary). Great guy to deal with. Shipped perfectly etc.

George when you did pick up an Action #1? For some reason I don't recall this. :P BTW your MC#1 is :cloud9:

George when you did pick up an Action #1? For some reason I don't recall this. :P BTW your MC#1 is :cloud9:

I never posted the Action #1. Bought it a few years ago.

Miss the 8.5 Denver Marvel #1. But the offer was too good to ignore (can't disclose buyer or price as promised buyer I wouldn't).

I never posted the Action #1. Bought it a few years ago.

Miss the 8.5 Denver Marvel #1. But the offer was too good to ignore (can't disclose buyer or price as promised buyer I wouldn't).

(thumbs u

Anything high grade silver bought in the 90s you would have done well on but man if you held onto an af15 or any other top 10 book you really would come out good. Congrats. That is a pretty looking book.

heres mine.. I bought it for 3500 un-slabed in the early 90's as a near mint... lol

Didn't you see the spine tic?

Sweet copy

I guess that is why it was NEAR mint and not just mint!

Nice book! Wish I bought mine in the nineties!

I want to caution others about potentially bidding on this book:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261131044269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I believe that the seller of this book has been banned in the past (according to comicdonna), and is the same person as the one that had a small FDQ moment in this thread (and others):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5983118&fpart=2

The current ebay auction is for the book below (which is now cracked out). The seller did not disclose the CGC grade, and does not show a back cover image in the auction. Also, the image links are no longer active, but the seller is listed as a member of this club with this book.

455637.jpg

455645.jpg

Funny thing is it is up to 2.5 money. I don't see where the seller mentions a grade, but agrees it's a presentable low grade. Pure genius.

Pure dishonesty.

Removes the book from it's slab hoping buyers perceive it as higher grade, and deliberately doesn't show the back cover when it drastically affects the grade.

His auction description is pure hokum, flat, no marvel chipping bla bla bla.

Funny thing is it is up to 2.5 money. I don't see where the seller mentions a grade, but agrees it's a presentable low grade. Pure genius.

Pure dishonesty.

Removes the book from it's slab hoping buyers perceive it as higher grade, and deliberately doesn't show the back cover when it drastically affects the grade.

His auction description is pure hokum, flat, no marvel chipping bla bla bla.

ComicLink deliberately doesn't show back cover scans. I have even boughtbooks from HA.com with writing on the BC, funny when I went back to see how I missed it there was no BC scan. Possibly why it was omitted.