• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Not the $5000 grand your local comic shop is asking i saw it :screwy: too!!!

I thought they were very ambitious regarding the price, but are low grade restored copies worth the investment?

as blue label copies continue to soar, most folks will be priced out of the market (entry level is already $2000-$3000 a point) making PLOD copies desirable to those wanting eye appeal but not wanting/able to spend the big coin. If getting a PLOD copy, I'd limit to tear seals as the only work.

I would agree with the tear seals but would have no problem with cover reinforcement or any other reinforcement since you are looking at the basic same degree of intrusiveness.

Come to think of it... Cover cleaning would not bother me too much either if I had to choose. I went in that direction on a GA book I wanted.

No Bionic-books for you?

Gentlemen, we can rebuild them. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic-book. Your favorite comic will be that book. Better than it was before. Brighter. Stronger. More eye appeal.

I thought they were very ambitious regarding the price, but are low grade restored copies worth the investment?

as blue label copies continue to soar, most folks will be priced out of the market (entry level is already $2000-$3000 a point) making PLOD copies desirable to those wanting eye appeal but not wanting/able to spend the big coin. If getting a PLOD copy, I'd limit to tear seals as the only work.

I would agree with the tear seals but would have no problem with cover reinforcement or any other reinforcement since you are looking at the basic same degree of intrusiveness.

Come to think of it... Cover cleaning would not bother me too much either if I had to choose. I went in that direction on a GA book I wanted.

No Bionic-books for you?

Gentlemen, we can rebuild them. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic-book. Your favorite comic will be that book. Better than it was before. Brighter. Stronger. More eye appeal.

No... not a fan of pieces added or trimming.

No Bionic-books for you?

No... not a fan of pieces added or trimming.

That is a pretty popular opinion and I agree. I only own one Franken-book and it was to get a beautiful looking copy for a cheap price. Probably a crappy investment. (shrug)

Good morning sunshine! You're chipper this morning!

Why do I have to wait until next month to sell it? :P

I am joking. :baiting:

BTW I just got my AF 15, I am in the club now as well. Not as nice as your though.

Will post pictures soon.

:applause:

:popcorn:

:juggle:

Here's an AF #15 mystery if anyone would like to try to solve it. I purchased this copy in late 2005 and sold it to buy original art. I'm sure that it was pressed and upgraded since then but the chipping is pretty distinguished. Does anyone know whatever happened to this copy? If it did upgrade?

I bought it directly from a semi-local guy that had it on eBay. It was either an original owner copy or he bought it from the original owner. We met on a bench under an elevated train. And yes, it was as sketchy as it sounds.

The serial number is 0042481002

AF15c.jpg

I saw this auction too and couldn't believe it. 7.0 Extensive AND it's trimmed!!! Whoever bought that made a bad choice IMO.

You could get a 3.0 - 3.5 Blue label for the same money. Maybe the winner got caught up in the auction frenzy.

I saw this auction too and couldn't believe it. 7.0 Extensive AND it's trimmed!!! Whoever bought that made a bad choice IMO.

You could get a 3.0 - 3.5 Blue label for the same money. Maybe the winner got caught up in the auction frenzy.

I dont know. Personally, i would probably rather have the EP 7.0 than a Blue label 3.0-3.5 unless it was an AMAZING looking Blue label with a few major faults. Investment wise, probably not a great buy on the EP but if it was someone who wanted a really nice looking copy and didnt have more than 7k to spend, i can see it (shrug)

I dont know. Personally, i would probably rather have the EP 7.0 than a Blue label 3.0-3.5 unless it was an AMAZING looking Blue label with a few major faults. Investment wise, probably not a great buy on the EP but if it was someone who wanted a really nice looking copy and didnt have more than 7k to spend, i can see it (shrug)

I don't care how cheap it may be,if it's trimmed,it's not in my collection. :P

Have you seen what "Extensive" resto books look like, pre-resto? This might have been a .5 - 1.0 copy before the resto started. If you just want to buy a good looking copy, just buy a coverless copy and put a reproduction cover on it.

Who knows though.... with the way Af15s go up in price I suppose even this copy will go up in price at some point.

Have you seen what "Extensive" resto books look like, pre-resto? This might have been a .5 - 1.0 copy before the resto started. If you just want to buy a good looking copy, just buy a coverless copy and put a reproduction cover on it.

Who knows though.... with the way Af15s go up in price I suppose even this copy will go up in price at some point.

I haven't seen any extensive resto books that have jumped 0.5 to a 7.0, seems a bit aggressive. But i have seen them improve 2-3 points pretty easily. Does anyone have an example of such a huge jump (4 points or more)?

Side note, I am a firm believer that the Mega Keys are so collectible that people will eventually pay out the nose for resto books (more so than now). They are still affordable ways to: 1) get a copy of the book and 2) get one that presents far better than one they could afford. While I think we can all agree that they will never be worth what the Universal books are, this is an area that is sure to grow over time.

The difference in price between a "minor" restored book and an "extensively" restored book will narrow and both will make-up ground on Universal books.

Again, I am not sure if this applies to anything other than the Mega Keys.

Yea.. The book was trimmed.. That's the killer!
but it is extensive, so trimming on an extensive is the only trimming that doesn't bother me, because paper can be added back to make it "untrimmed"... on mod and slight, I don't like trimmed...but on EP, who cares, it can be "fixed" (at least on a label) (thumbs u

but it is extensive, so trimming on an extensive is the only trimming that doesn't bother me, because paper can be added back to make it "untrimmed"... on mod and slight, I don't like trimmed...but on EP, who cares, it can be "fixed" (at least on a label) (thumbs u

Even though I have a few restored books including a AF#15, I dont really know the details behind the levels that exist ie "slight, extensive etc." anyone have a link to a thread with the craic.

:gossip: without me having to resort to the dreaded search function :shy:

Even though I have a few restored books including a AF#15, I dont really know the details behind the levels that exist ie "slight, extensive etc." anyone have a link to a thread with the craic.

:gossip: without me having to resort to the dreaded search function :shy:

Here is post that attributes some generally "recognized" values for restoration:

Restoration Value Board Thread

CGC's posted information on restoration:

CGC Restoration

Didn't know you can untrim a trimmed book. But it does make sense given books are restored with pieces added and all. Just never thought of it that way :grin:

FYI, the 3rd high bidder for that 7.0 EP book was $4000. The other two both ran it up to $7200, and the high bidder overbid that at the end.

I've forgotten, what is a 7.0 blue AF 15 now? Did that EP copy go for 10% of the blue price, or 25%?

I would never take 10% for my copy, but maybe 25%. hm

FYI, the 3rd high bidder for that 7.0 EP book was $4000. The other two both ran it up to $7200, and the high bidder overbid that at the end.

I've forgotten, what is a 7.0 blue AF 15 now? Did that EP copy go for 10% of the blue price, or 25%?

I would never take 10% for my copy, but maybe 25%. hm

GPA

AF15 Universal 7.0 = one sale in 2013 of $42,000

(four sold in 2012 ranging from $33,460 to $53,000)

25% of $42,000 = $10,500

10% of $42,000 = $4,200

With extensive restoration, based on what I have seen and read; $4,200 would be a fair asking price. Clearly it garners more value being that it is a MEGA key and people appear to need this book.

I expect this trend will continue as more lower grade books get un-slabbed and restored into mid/high grade books to be flipped. Especially in situations where the book is restored and then signed - thus receiving the elusive mostly yellow label with only a small purple bar on top. If I were to flip restored AF15s, I would ALWAYS get them signed in-front of CGC to obtain this label.

I can understand people's frustration with Frankenbooks, but I can also see why they appeal to many people and represent an investment opportunity. Restoration is common in many other collectible markets, maybe that is our future as well..?..