• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Check out the last two sales of AF 15:

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

This book is showing all the signs in the world that it is just gold.

I am glad I got my CGC 3.0 last month at the price I paid.

Oh yea add me to the freak in club! :devil:

For anyone keeping score, recently I've sold

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

3 x cgc 3.0....2@ 7500 and an exceptional copy at 7995

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

2 x cgc 4.0 @ 9500 and 9995

2 x cgc 4.5 at 10995&11995

2 x cgc 5.0 at 13995 and 14995

The book "is" solid

Those are great prices. You must be a good salesman.

A 3.0 for $7995???? Two 4.0s sold for less than that this year.

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

Those are great prices. You must be a good salesman.

A 3.0 for $7995???? Two 4.0s sold for less than that this year.

His 3.0's usually appear nicer than most 4.0's I have seen.

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

I'm more amazed at the lower end prices. :o

Me too, seems these are the only ones average collectors can afford, and at this point barely. Sky is the limit.

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

Me too, seems these are the only ones average collectors can afford, and at this point barely. Sky is the limit.

Low grade Mega-keys are the future my friends. :whee:

Any solid presenting 1.5-2.0 and virtually any 2.5-4.0 copies of this book (and FF1, Hulk 1, etc.) are going to grow disproportionately versus the mid grade 4.5-7.5 copies in the next few months and years.

"It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another."

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

Any solid presenting 1.5-2.0 and virtually any 2.5-4.0 copies of this book (and FF1, Hulk 1, etc.) are going to grow disproportionately versus the mid grade 4.5-7.5 copies in the next few months and years.

"It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another."

Higher the small grades go, they reinforce the high grades prices and even push them higher. I don't think your low grade predictions hold true here.

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

Higher the small grades go, they reinforce the high grades prices and even push them higher. I don't think your low grade predictions hold true here.

+1; typically in high-end collectibles (which AF 15 qualifies for, I think) the price margin by grade increases, not decreases.

For whatever reason, some people here seem to be confusing historical market value trends with what they like to collect - if you're a low grade investor, naturally you want those books to increase in value as compared to higher grade copies, even if the opposite is true.

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

+1; typically in high-end collectibles (which AF 15 qualifies for, I think) the price margin by grade increases, not decreases.

For whatever reason, some people here seem to be confusing historical market value trends with what they like to collect - if you're a low grade investor, naturally you want those books to increase in value as compared to higher grade copies, even if the opposite is true.

Oh, I like to collect high grade silver keys. My bank account hates them.

No confusion here, just a prediction that the price as a percentage on the low grade keys will grow faster than the high grade ones over the next few years.

Pulled data from GPA today on recorded high prices across a group of grades and noted the % increase 2013 versus 2010. Data would indicate that the low grade books on average have seen the largest growth (% wise) on average, with the 5.5 seeing the largest jump overall.

While it is a snippet of data, it does lend credence to my thought process. However, it is difficult to determine high grade sales potential due to the small number of books in the market, let alone the ones that go up for sale. Per the points of others, the "cream of the crop" grade-wise can see ridiculous price jumps when demand is high.

hm

af15.png

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

No confusion here, just a prediction that the price as a percentage on the low grade keys will grow faster than the high grade ones over the next few years.

Pulled data from GPA today on recorded high prices across a group of grades and noted the % increase 2013 versus 2010. Data would indicate that the low grade books on average have seen the largest growth (% wise) on average, with the 5.5 seeing the largest jump overall.

While it is a snippet of data, it does lend credence to my thought process. However, it is difficult to determine high grade sales potential due to the small number of books in the market, let alone the ones that go up for sale. Per the points of others, the "cream of the crop" grade-wise can see ridiculous price jumps when demand is high.

hm

af15.png

That's some cool data to look at. Now do the same thing for Hulk 1 & FF 1 :wishluck:

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

hm

af15.png

That's some cool data to look at. Now do the same thing for Hulk 1 & FF 1 :wishluck:

Ask and you shall receive.

Similar story on Hulk 1, but very different picture of FF1. In fact, there were a few FF1 grades that I did not include because they saw large decreases 2013 versus 2010 (4.5). I also did not include grades where there were not 2013 or 2010 sales for comparison (much less activity on Hulk 1 due to relative rarity of book).

FF1 has seen some contraction here and there. This perhaps illustrates the point that higher grade books experience a higher risk to retract, versus the lower grades that seem to grow on average.

Interesting indeed.

(shrug)

image_125.png

Many of those 'highest ever' sales of low grade copies are examples of paying above market value for playing the crack-press-resub game. It's the middle of the range sales that are the most telling for current re-sale value.

With the supply of low grade AF15s coming out of the woodwork, it's hard to envision where the demand will come from to drive prices way up for low grade copies. Right this moment for sale on E-Bay, there are 18 low grade unrestored slabs for sale: 2 5.0 copies, 4 4.5 copies, 7 4.0 copies, and 5 more copies ranging from 0.5 to 3.5. Conversely, there is only a single copy above 6.0 for sale at the moment.

Many of those 'highest ever' sales of low grade copies are examples of paying above market value for playing the crack-press-resub game. It's the middle of the range sales that are the most telling for current re-sale value.

With the supply of low grade AF15s coming out of the woodwork, it's hard to envision where the demand will come from to keep driving prices up for low grade copies. Right this moment for sale on E-Bay, there are in unrestored slabs 2 5.0 copies, 4 4.5 copies, 7 4.0 copies, and 5 more copies ranging from 0.5 to 3.5, for a total of 18 low grade copies. Conversely, there is only a single copy above 6.0 for sale at the moment.

Fair point, but not entirely true,

The vast majority of graded books available in the census fall between 1.8 and 4.5. Adjusting for the relative rarity of the higher grades, you should see more of the lower grades available for sale. It should go without saying though, that when sales start coming in at any grade, similar grades will go up for sale at similar or higher prices...

Secondly, high grade books are much more likely to be listed and sold on an auction site then eBay.

Specifically if you look at the number of sales in GPA versus CGC census the ratios are similar. 10% of the total 2.5 books have been sold YTD, while 9% of the 7.5 have sold.

:gossip:

asdga.png

While it is a snippet of data, it does lend credence to my thought process.

Some clarification please - the snippet of data posted seemingly contradicts the initial statement since the higher (in this case, mid-grade 5.5) book is outperforming its lower grade (2.5 and 3.5, plus the 4.5) counterparts.

However, even a smaller percentage increase on more expensive books often can generate more actual cash value than a larger percentage increase on the less expensive books, so such statistics should probably be taken within the entire context.

Some clarification please - the snippet of data posted seemingly contradicts the initial statement since the higher (in this case, mid-grade 5.5) book is outperforming its lower grade (2.5 and 3.5, plus the 4.5) counterparts.

Yes the 5.5 was the best performer overall, but the low grade books on average outperformed the mid-high grade books on a percentage basis. It wasn't a concrete point, but rather data that suggested that my point of view had validity.

However, even a smaller percentage increase on more expensive books often can generate more actual cash value than a larger percentage increase on the less expensive books, so such statistics should probably be taken within the entire context.

This is true. My argument was based on % increase, not net $ increase. For a true evaluation, one would have to include a number of other factors.

In general though, it is more long-term sustainable business strategy to deliver consistent profit margins on low-mid range repeatable sales than shooting for one high sale with low margin - even if it delivers a larger profit.

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

hm

af15.png

You cannot base growth on record highs for each grade. Since you posted it, I will tell you what I get out of it. Seems like lower grades are correcting themselves to support the big money the high grades have been pulling. So the question is, is the correction over or still in progress? I wouldn't be confident a 4.0 out performs a 7.0 in the next 5 years in growth.

CGC 3.0 = $7648

CGC 2.5 = $6500

2 x cgc 2.5 both at 6500

1 x cgc 3.5 @ 8495

The book "is" solid

hm

af15.png

You cannot base growth on record highs for each grade. Since you posted it, I will tell you what I get out of it. Seems like lower grades are correcting themselves to support the big money the high grades have been pulling. So the question is, is the correction over or still in progress? I wouldn't be confident a 4.0 out performs a 7.0 in the next 5 years in growth.

The growth rates aren't based on "record highs," all posted data is of the high sale for all grades (low or high). Meaning the data is the exact same for every grade and is not mutually exclusive (or giving an advantage to) the lower grades. In fact many of the low grade sales were repeated close to the annual "high sale."

As far as the lower grades "correcting themselves," that is one interpretation. Not sure if it matters why the low grades are growing... In any case, I disagree that they will necessarily stop anytime soon.

You need to ask yourself a question. Is it more likely that one more person pay $60,000 for a 7.5 in the next few months or three people pay $6,750 for a 2.5?

I think the latter is much more likely, especially until the numbers get closer to the five figure mark.

I should have bought this book when I was 23 when I had to chance to buy it for $1600 in the same grade! My parents thought I should not spend my first bonus check from my first job on a comic book. :whatev:

My rules for happy comic collecting:

1. When young, never tell your parents what you are spending on comics.

2. When middle-aged, never tell your wife what you are spending on comics.

3. When old, never tell your children what you spent on comics.

:preach:

I should have bought this book when I was 23 when I had to chance to buy it for $1600 in the same grade! My parents thought I should not spend my first bonus check from my first job on a comic book. :whatev:

My rules for happy comic collecting:

1. When young, never tell your parents what you are spending on comics.

2. When middle-aged, never tell your wife what you are spending on comics.

3. When old, never tell your children what you spent on comics.

:preach:

Yeah, I'm the same way. I wanted to finish my ASM run, so I got an ASM #1 instead of just splurging and extra grand and getting an AF #15. Now that book is just out of my price range, unless I get lucky at the casino or the lottery.

And Squeggs... you just typed up my new words to live by. If I had the room, I'd make that my new signature!