• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

While I believe the period of this book skyrocketing has definitely ceased, I still have a difficult time believing the prices have peaked altogether Chrom... unless you are simply referring to the meteoric rise in prices and not the book in general in which case we're in agreement.

I still think this book is "the next big thing" in terms of the blue chips, and 10-20 years from now, I don't think it will be anywhere near as accessible as it is now (not that I personally see a 4-figure uber low grade book as accessible...). I could be wrong, and Lord knows there are people here who know worlds more than I do on all things comics, but that's just my view in the kiddie pool. :)

While I believe the period of this book skyrocketing has definitely ceased, I still have a difficult time believing the prices have peaked altogether Chrom... unless you are simply referring to the meteoric rise in prices and not the book in general in which case we're in agreement.

I still think this book is "the next big thing" in terms of the blue chips, and 10-20 years from now, I don't think it will be anywhere near as accessible as it is now (not that I personally see a 4-figure uber low grade book as accessible...). I could be wrong, and Lord knows there are people here who know worlds more than I do on all things comics, but that's just my view in the kiddie pool. :)

the only problem I see with the reduced accessibility is that there are SOOOOOOOOO many copies of AF 15 out there...I would dare say more supply than current demand, by a long shot... on any given day, if you are not condition sensitive and just want "a" copy, you have like 10-20 to choose from it seems (might not be that many, but you get my drift)... one sells, another 1 (or more) come up for sale...

it has been like that for as long as I can remember...anyone here ever recall a "shortage" of AF15's (keep in mind, I am not talking about 8.0 and better)...

unlike, say a book like Det 27 or Action 1, where you might be lucky to see 4 copies ALL year for sale, you can see 4 copies every day of the week on AF!5...

my gut says it will always have demand, and always be valuable and likely always rise in price to some degree...but, there will always be plenty of supply...

in fact, and I probably shouldn't reveal this, but I know a fellow that has multiple copies of AF 15 right now-and by multiple, I mean dozens (all raw. mostly vgish, but 1 or 2 nicer ones, as in 8.0/9.0 range)... I have asked him for a group shot, I have asked him to sell me one (still ain't happing, talk about hoarding!), but if one person has that many, imagine how many are out there hm

the only problem I see with the reduced accessibility is that there are SOOOOOOOOO many copies of AF 15 out there...I would dare say more supply than current demand, by a long shot... on any given day, if you are not condition sensitive and just want "a" copy, you have like 10-20 to choose from it seems (might not be that many, but you get my drift)... one sells, another 1 (or more) come up for sale...

it has been like that for as long as I can remember...anyone here ever recall a "shortage" of AF15's (keep in mind, I am not talking about 8.0 and better)...

unlike, say a book like Det 27 or Action 1, where you might be lucky to see 4 copies ALL year for sale, you can see 4 copies every day of the week on AF!5...

my gut says it will always have demand, and always be valuable and likely always rise in price to some degree...but, there will always be plenty of supply...

in fact, and I probably shouldn't reveal this, but I know a fellow that has multiple copies of AF 15 right now-and by multiple, I mean dozens (all raw. mostly vgish, but 1 or 2 nicer ones, as in 8.0/9.0 range)... I have asked him for a group shot, I have asked him to sell me one (still ain't happing, talk about hoarding!), but if one person has that many, imagine how many are out there hm

:o wow......just wow

Well, I should clarify that when I say that I think AF 15 will be the next big thing for blue chips, I don't think it will ever stand shoulder-to-shoulder to the Tec 27/Bat 1 and Action 1/Supes 1 pairing for the very reasons you stated. Having just started poking around in GA, I see just what a significant effect supply has on value when compared to SA (esp. SA Marvel). And I do think that the supply issue will certainly play against larger scale increases.

So, when I say accessibility, I'm referring less to the # of issues (as I doubt we'll lose too many of them as the years continue) but instead people's ability to keep up with the increasing value. I think of all the "older-than-me" collectors who look back on this book 10-20 years ago and kick themselves for not buying it when it was about $1k for a higher grade copy. Now, assuming the yearly price raise is cut in half, it's still a safe bet the value will still be significantly higher then than it is now. And so, it's pricier and therefore less accessible to typical collectors.

And while I'm clarifying myself, Rick, let me just say this is just my assessment on how I perceive things. When I say I'm in the "kiddie pool of collecting," I honestly believe it and by all means defer to those of you who are far greater experts in this hobby.

And can I just say it's a bit unnerving to think that there is a Cal of AF 15s out there?!? lol Wow...

I once entertained delusions of being able to complete Amazing Spidey from # 1 up but have long since given up on that. However, AF 15 is one book I never really thought I've have a chance to own. Spidey 1, maybe. AF 15? No frekin' way. Lately though, I'm thinking about trying to get one. Might be possible once I get an old loan payed off and then sell some more books. Who knows. (shrug)

Just can't tell the wife. :insane:

Looking at it from 10 to 20 years down the road is the best approach. if a person is buying it for personal reasons and has $2 to $5 grand and doesn't need to flip it for a profit then there's no doubt he's made a good choice. Having said prices for yesterdays comiclink auction seems like good value

I once entertained delusions of being able to complete Amazing Spidey from # 1 up but have long since given up on that. However, AF 15 is one book I never really thought I've have a chance to own. Spidey 1, maybe. AF 15? No frekin' way. Lately though, I'm thinking about trying to get one. Might be possible once I get an old loan payed off and then sell some more books. Who knows. (shrug)

Just can't tell the wife. :insane:

Go for it man! :headbang:

And yeah, don't tell the wife.

1.0 to 2.0 for less than 3grand is ok. Will prices skyrocket for these grades after recession

I'm not so sure they ever will... last Comiclink auction (mid March 2009) showed a decline in lowgrade prices which "sunk" to 2007 levels.

CGC 3.5 VG- final price : $4,001

The other grading company 3.5 VG- final price : $3,225

CGC 3.0 GVG final price : $4,200

CGC 2.0 GD final price : $3,050

CGC 1.0 FR final price : $1,222

Prices have skyrocketed from late 2007 through to late 2008... prices will continue to grow for the higher grade books, but I think the prices on the lower grades have peaked.

not too sure...the clink 8.0 ended at $66K last night...very weak and a HUGE decline compared to $80-85K reported sales in the last few months...

the 7.0 (one sold for $42K? recently) went for $32K...

seems even the "mid/high" grade are coming back down to reality (to some degree)

And that 8.5 copy was relisted at $122,000 a week after the auction, what the heck happened there? It was a nice copy.

Well, I should clarify that when I say that I think AF 15 will be the next big thing for blue chips, I don't think it will ever stand shoulder-to-shoulder to the Tec 27/Bat 1 and Action 1/Supes 1 pairing for the very reasons you stated. Having just started poking around in GA, I see just what a significant effect supply has on value when compared to SA (esp. SA Marvel). And I do think that the supply issue will certainly play against larger scale increases.

So, when I say accessibility, I'm referring less to the # of issues (as I doubt we'll lose too many of them as the years continue) but instead people's ability to keep up with the increasing value. I think of all the "older-than-me" collectors who look back on this book 10-20 years ago and kick themselves for not buying it when it was about $1k for a higher grade copy. Now, assuming the yearly price raise is cut in half, it's still a safe bet the value will still be significantly higher then than it is now. And so, it's pricier and therefore less accessible to typical collectors.

And while I'm clarifying myself, Rick, let me just say this is just my assessment on how I perceive things. When I say I'm in the "kiddie pool of collecting," I honestly believe it and by all means defer to those of you who are far greater experts in this hobby.

And can I just say it's a bit unnerving to think that there is a Cal of AF 15s out there?!? lol Wow...

I hear you and I Fully appreciate your perspective...I wasn't trying to say "HA HA you are wrong".... I was just giving you/the board my perspective... it is all good in comic book land (thumbs u

and yes, I have seen about 30 of his AF15's... talk about a mini hoard! no where near the lunacy of having 4000+ copies of a single book, but possibly nearing mid 6 figures worth of AF15's

:o wow......just wow

Wow indeed. Not a bad idea to hoard these issues especially he if bought many of them 10-20 years ago. Another 15 years or so and they could be a nice chunk of retirement money.

Wow indeed. Not a bad idea to hoard these issues especially he if bought many of them 10-20 years ago. Another 15 years or so and they could be a nice chunk of retirement money.

most were bought in the 70's and early 80's... I Think he told me most he spent on an issue was his nicest af 15 (probably a 9.0) was $2000

Wonder if we can smoke him out for a group shot?
not a chance...I am sworn to secrecy...he is one of my main toy customers (he has been "hoarding" good stuff for years) and it was just by chance that I happened to see the comics (I went to his house to buy some bulk Star Trek toys he was moving)...

I hear you and I Fully appreciate your perspective...I wasn't trying to say "HA HA you are wrong".... I was just giving you/the board my perspective... it is all good in comic book land (thumbs u

and yes, I have seen about 30 of his AF15's... talk about a mini hoard! no where near the lunacy of having 4000+ copies of a single book, but possibly nearing mid 6 figures worth of AF15's

And I'm glad to get it! After all...when it comes to the blue chip books, you are one of the go-to-guys here so def. worth hearing what you have to say! "Apparently" there is an older collector somewhere near where I live who the owner of my LCS knows and buys books from. Seems the guy went out during the 70s and 80s buying up a bunch of the SA Marvel keys. Now being well into his retirement, the guy picks out a few books to sell these guys every couple of months to supplement his pension. Pretty smart move, huh?-)

not a chance...I am sworn to secrecy...he is one of my main toy customers (he has been "hoarding" good stuff for years) and it was just by chance that I happened to see the comics (I went to his house to buy some bulk Star Trek toys he was moving)...

What would be his objection to an anonymous group pic? What's his problem with it? I don't understand the harm in it.

What would be his objection to an anonymous group pic? What's his problem with it? I don't understand the harm in it.

I am with you...I don't see any harm, of course, and asked him to either 1)let me take a picture, or 2)take one himself (not just of the comics, but of the toys...he has like 24 carded Mego Romulan Star Trek figures, and 20+ carded andorians, etc)....but, he is a large client of mine, and if he says "no", that is good enough for me...some folks you just don't ask questions, they have their peculiarities/reasons...and he spends way too much money with me to "rock the boat" pushing for a pic...in fact, if I didn't pretty much know he has no clue about cgc boards, I would have never posted lol

1.0 to 2.0 for less than 3grand is ok. Will prices skyrocket for these grades after recession

I'm not so sure they ever will... last Comiclink auction (mid March 2009) showed a decline in lowgrade prices which "sunk" to 2007 levels.

CGC 3.5 VG- final price : $4,001

The other grading company 3.5 VG- final price : $3,225

CGC 3.0 GVG final price : $4,200

CGC 2.0 GD final price : $3,050

CGC 1.0 FR final price : $1,222

Prices have skyrocketed from late 2007 through to late 2008... prices will continue to grow for the higher grade books, but I think the prices on the lower grades have peaked.

not too sure...the clink 8.0 ended at $66K last night...very weak and a HUGE decline compared to $80-85K reported sales in the last few months...

the 7.0 (one sold for $42K? recently) went for $32K...

seems even the "mid/high" grade are coming back down to reality (to some degree)

And that 8.5 copy was relisted at $122,000 a week after the auction, what the heck happened there? It was a nice copy.

It may have been another thread but someone else pointed out the same thing, and I noted that the 8.5 that was listed on CLink after the auction was a different copy. I don't have time to check now, but the last time I checked, CLink had both the copy that sold at auction and the 2nd 8.5 still viewable. My guess is someone liked the sale price of the 8.5 at auction and decided to see if they could try to sell their copy for the same amount...