• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I appreciate the warm welcome guys. I've been collecting comics since I was 12 years old. I stepped away from collecting for about 15 years, but always held onto what I thought were my coolest books that I had bought in my youth, lugging them around with me in that same long box, as I moved from apartment to apartment, and then house to house. There came a time when I even forgot what I had in that box, as it basically just became a piece of furniture in the closet or garage, the tape I had on the lid to hold it down, beginning to yellow over the years. Finally, about a year or so ago, a friend of mine pulled out some of his old books and showed them to me. This inspired me to crack open my old box to relive my youth and remind myself of what I had in there. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they had help up condition-wise over the years in those same plastic bags with those same backing boards. I was even more surprised to realize how good my taste in comics was as a kid. My old run of ASM's starting at about 125 to 302 were looking great, my wolverine limited series, the first 50 or so issues of his first regular series, X-men 94-104, the Zeck Punisher Limited, the first 20 or so of his first War Journal, my Gaiman Sandman #1 that I bought and read, totally did not get at the time as a kid, and never bought another issue lol, etc. Yes there was the requisite wall filler in the box, too but I had some pretty cool stuff in there. It was then that I started to buy books again, deciding that I wanted to get all the cool silver and bronze age stuff that I remembered wanting as a kid but obviously could never afford.

Which brings me to now, proud owner of a big boy collection, that includes the cool stuff and the from my youth, along with my beloved AF 15 and other keys I have been blessed to have been able to acquire in my adulthood.

I probably overpaid for this AF 15, but it's a 2005 slab, and I thought it presented well for a 6.0. Sometimes I think about cracking it and pressing and resubbing, but eh, why bother? I am never going to sell it. If I knew how to post the little smiley sitting on the pink cloud nine right now I would. :)

I'm looking forward to associating with all of the other collectors on these boards and sharing war stories.

Primetime, your sig line puts mine to shame! You could put a couple kids through college with the bad boy in that line up!

-J.

I appreciate the warm welcome guys. I've been collecting comics since I was 12 years old. I stepped away from collecting for about 15 years, but always held onto what I thought were my coolest books that I had bought in my youth, lugging them around with me in that same long box, as I moved from apartment to apartment, and then house to house. There came a time when I even forgot what I had in that box, as it basically just became a piece of furniture in the closet or garage, the tape I had on the lid to hold it down, beginning to yellow over the years. Finally, about a year or so ago, a friend of mine pulled out some of his old books and showed them to me. This inspired me to crack open my old box to relive my youth and remind myself of what I had in there. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they had help up condition-wise over the years in those same plastic bags with those same backing boards. I was even more surprised to realize how good my taste in comics was as a kid. My old run of ASM's starting at about 125 to 302 were looking great, my wolverine limited series, the first 50 or so issues of his first regular series, X-men 94-104, the Zeck Punisher Limited, the first 20 or so of his first War Journal, my Gaiman Sandman #1 that I bought and read, totally did not get at the time as a kid, and never bought another issue lol, etc. Yes there was the requisite wall filler in the box, too but I had some pretty cool stuff in there. It was then that I started to buy books again, deciding that I wanted to get all the cool silver and bronze age stuff that I remembered wanting as a kid but obviously could never afford.

Which brings me to now, proud owner of a big boy collection, that includes the cool stuff and the from my youth, along with my beloved AF 15 and other keys I have been blessed to have been able to acquire in my adulthood.

I probably overpaid for this AF 15, but it's a 2005 slab, and I thought it presented well for a 6.0. Sometimes I think about cracking it and pressing and resubbing, but eh, why bother? I am never going to sell it. If I knew how to post the little smiley sitting on the pink cloud nine right now I would. :)

I'm looking forward to associating with all of the other collectors on these boards and sharing war stories.

Primetime, your sig line puts mine to shame! You could put a couple kids through college with the bad boy in that line up!

-J.

Great story, and a stunning copy of AF 15 :cloud9:

-J.

"Big Boy Collection"

i like that!

WTTB!

Thank you fellas, it's nice to be in the company of others who either own and/or appreciate this book, in any grade. I feel blessed to have a copy and this one in particular. It did not come cheap, but I felt compelled to jump in, as looking for and waiting for a "deal" on a copy of one of these just seemed to give the thing more time to continue getting more expensive and further out of reach for me. Johnny, it does have a light one inch reader's crease near the top left staple, the back is nearly flawless save for two small marks near the staples, and cgc notes a light, non colour breaking fold, and a corner ding on the top left of the book in the grader's notes. I do believe that they were more strict in 2005 when this was graded. I would say that with a press, it could probably make it to a solid 7. I really try not to worry about the grade on the case though, since I fully intend to be buried with it. :cloud9:

-J.

Hey Guys,

I just got a very gracious $6000 Bonus at work. Im on the fence for a low grade AF15, BB28, or something equivalent....

what are opinions on a decent grade per the price range of 5000? Is this the best silver investment ?????

that sounds reasonable. so $5000 for a 2.0 would be a great deal

on the AF15 i would be scared to buy raw as i know of dealers who break out restored books and sell them at non-restored prices. For this kind of money i have to be sure

$5000 for a 2.0 AF15 (if i am downright lucky)

$5000 for a 9.8 ASM129 (i have been offered this)

what do you think these 2 books would value in lets say 10 years each??

on the AF15 i would be scared to buy raw as i know of dealers who break out restored books and sell them at non-restored prices. For this kind of money i have to be sure

asm 129 will likely be worth less in 10 years, the af15 likely more in ten years

asm 129 will likely be worth less in 10 years, the af15 likely more in ten years

i agree on the AF15 worth more but why you think the ASM129 will be worth less hm

what price value do you think a $5000 2.0 will be worth in 10 years?

i agree on the AF15 worth more but why you think the ASM129 will be worth less hm

what price value do you think a $5000 2.0 will be worth in 10 years?

because there will continue to be more and more 9.8's either found or created.... demand will be outpaced by supply, thus price will drop...

af15 will continue to have more copies found, but I believe demand will outpace this supply, and thus, prices should continue to rise

we are also talking about "the" marvel character, versus what many would considering a secondary character (punisher)

Hey Guys,

I just got a very gracious $6000 Bonus at work. Im on the fence for a low grade AF15, BB28, or something equivalent....

what are opinions on a decent grade per the price range of 5000? Is this the best silver investment ?????

You sure you don't want to spend that bonus on your wife or mother-in-law? hm

Hey Guys,

You sure you don't want to spend that bonus on your wife or mother-in-law? hm

ha!!! i bought an engagement ring this past summer and a galaxy tablet for her....

Bonus = comic time lol

but in all seriousness, my gf is very awesome she helps me source comics out of Mexico and Brazil. She sourced this on Facebook out of Peru...

20131017_193710_zps4b4d40d1.jpg

Hi All,

Any theories on why those two AF 15's (6.0, $18K and 7.0, $33.4k) had such really low final bids in the Heritage Auction, relative to some other recent sales? They both have really terrible eye appeal and look extremely generously graded. Perhaps I just answered my own question...

-J.

Hi All,

Any theories on why those two AF 15's (6.0, $18K and 7.0, $33.4k) had such really low final bids in the Heritage Auction, relative to some other recent sales? They both have really terrible eye appeal and look extremely generously graded. Perhaps I just answered my own question...

-J.

Indeed

Hi All,

-J.

Indeed

I was wondering that myself, but I hadn't looked at them in detail because I didn't have 20K lying around anyhow. :P Glad someone brought it up.

Welcome to the boards Jaydog!

Hey Guys,

My opinion and never spent any bonus check on one item.

Put some in the bank and take 1K of that money and start a AF 15 fund.