• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Can someone please list current prices for AF 15 in 1.0 to 3.0 grades?

a 4.0 recently sold on ebay for $11,500 there's a 2.0 currently up for 5795.00 My estimate is a 2.0 is worth about $4200. a 1.0 maybe $2600. 3.0 maybe $8000....

what was the page quality on the 4.0?

cream to off-white:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-4-0-1962-Origin-1st-Spider-man-Movie-1-962-B2-cm-/350547330967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519e3fc797

I wonder why GPA hasn't reported this sale?

i've noticed they miss stuff frequently and thus dont put all my stock in their 'analyses'....

sadly, some dealers base what they will pay for your books entirely on GPA. I like GPA and subscribe. But it is a tool, not the bible of pricing.

i believe it's temporary-like when overstreet guide first came out everyone priced based on that. then market forces took over and people paid what they were willing to pay and overstreet fell in importance. same thing will happen with GPA. market forces are like glaciers-slow but unstoppable.

a 4.0 recently sold on ebay for $11,500 there's a 2.0 currently up for 5795.00 My estimate is a 2.0 is worth about $4200. a 1.0 maybe $2600. 3.0 maybe $8000....

cream to off-white:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-4-0-1962-Origin-1st-Spider-man-Movie-1-962-B2-cm-/350547330967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519e3fc797

It is - what makes you think it isn't in our analysis?

cream to off-white:

i've noticed they miss stuff frequently and thus dont put all my stock in their 'analyses'....

What have we missed?

cream to off-white:

What have we missed?

apparently i was mistaken or didnt look things up correctly in the past-I apologize. that was wrong of me to jump on the bandwagon without checking for myself.

A 1.0 sold on Sep-29-2013 for $3,107

Another 1.0 sold on Aug-17-2013 for $3,550

The last SS 1.0 recorded on GPA sold for $3,555

Several 1.0s with SA or A sold for around $2.300

GPA has only ever recorded a single sale of a 1.0 above $4.000 (which was 4.199).

1.0 - about $3,500 +/- a bit

2.0 - about $4,500

3.0 - about $6,500

I would agree 1.0s in the mid 3s

2.0s range from 4-5500 (depending on pq and eye appeal)

3.0 range from 6500-8k. Again a cr/ow marvel chipped copy at bottom of price range with an ow/w non marvel chipped copy at top. There isn't just "one" avg price...one must differentiate books assigned same grade

cream to off-white:

It is - what makes you think it isn't in our analysis?

You are correct George. I missed it. :sorry:

To be able to have all the copies I've previously sold. Gator, Sing it with me now as you've sold the most copies of this books that I know of and the prices keep climbing.

I have bought and sold over 50 copies the last couple of years, and everyone I have paid or sold has been at or even well over gpa "average" for all the reasons I have mentioned in the past (thumbs u

what about the 1.5's & 1.8's?

Also, does GPA take into account the Blues without anything written between the Book Title and the PQ?

Yes GPA takes that into account. For example the prices I posted were only for universal unrestored copies. GPA for restored copies etc are lower.

Me too. but in terms of price jumps, doesnt BB28 have a greater return at this point since AF15 will see marginal price increases?

Currently, the large gains on BB28 has already been materialized. Gains are much more limited now.. BB28 was stagnant in 2009-2011.

Let's be fair.

Before the Spider-man movies AF15 was not the most expensive Silver age book. Now it is. BB28 has not had the help from movies that AF15 has. I know a lot of people have a lot (really a lot) of money invested in AF15 and really need the demand to stay high. Therefore any talk of any book out-pacing it will be seen as blasphemy.

But in 2013 BB28 has gained significantly more in value than AF15, and the trailer hasn't even been shown yet.

I own both books, and love both, but I think some of you guys are being a little unfair to the BB28. But on the other hand - what do you expect in a "Amazing Fantasy #15 Club" thread :foryou:

When you claim "Before the Spider-man movies, AF 15 was not the most expensive Silver age book", I wonder what source(s) you have in mind?...

For what it's worth, AF #15 became the #1 Silver Age book in Overstreet by 1994 (OPG #24). That was 8 years BEFORE the first Spider-Man movie.

There's no doubt the movies haven't hurt the value of AF #15s--and HAVE helped--but I think you're wildly exaggerating their importance. When that first Spider-Man movie came out in 2002, it was the 40th anniversary of the character. Sure, Hollywood influences the pop culture psyche--and nosebleed hammer prices to a degree--but, c'mon, this character had been a popular Halloween costume, a doll, a figurine, on wristwatches; this character's likeness was plastered on flashlights, lunchboxes, cups, keychains, pajamas, underwear, and toilet paper--for many moons before the run of Spider-Man movies of the last decade.

Seems like there was a substantial sale or two via Sotheby's in the early 1990s; then the advent of the Internet by the mid-1990s; then the 3 movies; and then that million dollar sale in 2011. Even if the movies didn't exist, I'm still convinced AF #15 would've overtaken Showcase #4 and FF #1. And it did overtake the others, in a way, by the mid-1990s when Overstreet began reflecting AF #15 as the #1 Silver Age book. :sumo:

As you say the movies have helped the value of AF15. There is no need to debate this - nor the magnitude (because no one will ever know the exact magnitude). And of course AF15 would still be a huge key without any movie. I own the book and love it.

We could also look at first appearance of Iron-man and Antman. They were considered third-tier characters before the movies. Antman probably still is because the movie has still to happen, but even the plans have had a very significant influence on 27 and 35. Not to talk about Iron-man's first appearance.

My point was that BB28 has not had this help yet. And while Wolverine has become a historically important character (perhaps Marvel's 2nd most popular) the first appearance of the team he is part of (X-men) need not imo. be more valuable than first appearance of JLA (rather the opposite imo.). Same could be said about Avengers.

The second point is that BB28 has increased more in value in 2013 than AF15. This is not opinion just fact.

Your reminding me that BB #28 has increased more in value in 2013 than AF #15, i.e., "not opinion, just fact" is something I never disputed in the first place. Also, I never commented on BB #28 not yet having the aid of a Hollywood film. It makes sense what you said.

I simply was saying your initial comment asserted AF #15 had only become the #1 Silver Age book after the movies--and this was not the case. AF #15's lift-off began by the mid-1990s and was further helped along by Hollywood in the 2000s.

I just sold a 1.0 for 4100... Another 1.0 that was SS'd went for 4500. Where on earth are you guys getting your numbers?

Also, Captain Canuck bought a 1.0 copy this year on the Boards for 4,000.

By the way, I think the 1.0 SS you're referring to sold for a bit more, 4600-plus, and is the very one that is the subject of that brouhaha of a thread in General--involving theft. Apparently, someone did shell out the money for it on eBay, but the copy was stolen and is now being tracked down via Jimmy Linguiniii, Canadian authorities, Facebook citizens, and God knows who else.

Me too. but in terms of price jumps, doesnt BB28 have a greater return at this point since AF15 will see marginal price increases?

Currently, the large gains on BB28 has already been materialized. Gains are much more limited now.. BB28 was stagnant in 2009-2011.

Let's be fair.

Before the Spider-man movies AF15 was not the most expensive Silver age book. Now it is. BB28 has not had the help from movies that AF15 has. I know a lot of people have a lot (really a lot) of money invested in AF15 and really need the demand to stay high. Therefore any talk of any book out-pacing it will be seen as blasphemy.

But in 2013 BB28 has gained significantly more in value than AF15, and the trailer hasn't even been shown yet.

I own both books, and love both, but I think some of you guys are being a little unfair to the BB28. But on the other hand - what do you expect in a "Amazing Fantasy #15 Club" thread :foryou:

When you claim "Before the Spider-man movies, AF 15 was not the most expensive Silver age book", I wonder what source(s) you have in mind?...

For what it's worth, AF #15 became the #1 Silver Age book in Overstreet by 1994 (OPG #24). That was 8 years BEFORE the first Spider-Man movie.

There's no doubt the movies haven't hurt the value of AF #15s--and HAVE helped--but I think you're wildly exaggerating their importance. When that first Spider-Man movie came out in 2002, it was the 40th anniversary of the character. Sure, Hollywood influences the pop culture psyche--and nosebleed hammer prices to a degree--but, c'mon, this character had been a popular Halloween costume, a doll, a figurine, on wristwatches; this character's likeness was plastered on flashlights, lunchboxes, cups, keychains, pajamas, underwear, and toilet paper--for many moons before the run of Spider-Man movies of the last decade.

Seems like there was a substantial sale or two via Sotheby's in the early 1990s; then the advent of the Internet by the mid-1990s; then the 3 movies; and then that million dollar sale in 2011. Even if the movies didn't exist, I'm still convinced AF #15 would've overtaken Showcase #4 and FF #1. And it did overtake the others, in a way, by the mid-1990s when Overstreet began reflecting AF #15 as the #1 Silver Age book. :sumo:

As you say the movies have helped the value of AF15. There is no need to debate this - nor the magnitude (because no one will ever know the exact magnitude). And of course AF15 would still be a huge key without any movie. I own the book and love it.

We could also look at first appearance of Iron-man and Antman. They were considered third-tier characters before the movies. Antman probably still is because the movie has still to happen, but even the plans have had a very significant influence on 27 and 35. Not to talk about Iron-man's first appearance.

My point was that BB28 has not had this help yet. And while Wolverine has become a historically important character (perhaps Marvel's 2nd most popular) the first appearance of the team he is part of (X-men) need not imo. be more valuable than first appearance of JLA (rather the opposite imo.). Same could be said about Avengers.

The second point is that BB28 has increased more in value in 2013 than AF15. This is not opinion just fact.

Your reminding me that BB #28 has increased more in value in 2013 than AF #15, i.e., "not opinion, just fact" is something I never disputed in the first place. Also, I never commented on BB #28 not yet having the aid of a Hollywood film. It makes sense what you said.

I simply was saying your initial comment asserted AF #15 had only become the #1 Silver Age book after the movies--and this was not the case. AF #15's lift-off began by the mid-1990s and was further helped along by Hollywood in the 2000s.

I'm dubious as to whether BB 28 will be able to sustain that growth. I'm confident AF 15 will