• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Not mine, but I thought I'd share this copy of AF 15 that I found available at an upcoming auction... Seems to look very nice, but maybe looks are deceiving?

af15.jpg

to me it's :cloud9:

the top of the cover looks new compared to middle and bottom parts of cover? hm

It does look kinda fishy, but I'll still take it any day. The cover appeal is phenomenal.

I'm so itching to join the club, but I have already spent a good portion of this year's comic budget on my ASM #1. Judging from the latest rebound prices, maybe I should have gotten the AF#15 first.... :tonofbricks:

Trimmed with a vengeance !!

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26ItemType%3DCB&id=814162

AF15 CGC 6.5 FN+

$17,511

Thats a very good price; whoever won it got a good deal

Yea we mentioned that in a ComicLink thread in General when it ended, the seller is a board member and wasn't too thrilled. :eek:

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26ItemType%3DCB&id=814162

AF15 CGC 6.5 FN+

$17,511

Yea we mentioned that in a ComicLink thread in General when it ended, the seller is a board member and wasn't too thrilled. :eek:

That's me. Not too happy with leaving the AF 15 club in general, much less for such a weak price. First book I've ever sold. May well be the last.

I agree with macman, af15 safest longterm investment hands down and very liquid

and it's so wonderful... :cloud9:

it depends, I know people who spent over $2500 for a low grade AF#15 eighteen months ago and would probally only get $1800 for it now. If that same person bought $2500 worth of low grade/mid grade Showcase 22 eighteen months ago, they would have made a lot more profit. same thing with Incredible Hulk #181, you buy it mid-grade but you will never really make much profit on it. a mid-grade you bought in 2004 will still be the same price if you sold it now. of course throw all this out the window if we are talking high grade AF 15 and Incredible Hulk #181. :)

AF15 CGC 6.5 FN+

$17,511

That's me. Not too happy with leaving the AF 15 club in general, much less for such a weak price. First book I've ever sold. May well be the last.

Did you make money on the sale compared to what you paid for the book?

AF15 CGC 6.5 FN+

$17,511

:sorry:

AF15 CGC 6.5 FN+

$17,511

I did and have no right to complain on that -- or really any other -- front. I was just hoping for more.

AF15 CGC 6.5 FN+

$17,511

I did and have no right to complain on that -- or really any other -- front. I was just hoping for more.

You came out ahead - be happy with that! (thumbs u

Serious question for you guys.

I haven't owned an AF #15 for 3 years and had been toying with the idea of buying a mid grade copy. The price hikes over the last year had put me off.

What is the market like now?

Are prices still rising or has there been a downturn?

Just looking at CL, CC and Heritage there seems to be a glut of copies available. Is the demand still there?

George just a observation but 6.5 grades seem to get hammered more than perhaps a 6.0 or a 7.0 for whatever reason. I think this was the case even before the market took off on these. Must be something about the optics of the grade 6.5 that puts people on the fence, I think they treat it as if it was a 6.0 and hesitate paying too much over 6.0 prices.

Just go for one with great PQ and no Marvel chipping.

Thanks for the heads up - I was thinking in the 6.0 to 7.0 range.

Any comments from all appreciated.

George

Personally it all depends on the book. Prices on the AF 15 have been inching lower, however no marvel chipping books seem to be keeping their value. I can speak of lower graded copies(2.5-6.0), they have come down in price. I do agree with the previous poster in that 6.5 grades are frowned on and people want a 6.5 for 6.0 money. If it were me I'd go with a nice 7.0 with no marvel chipping. 2c

Thanks for the heads up - I was thinking in the 6.0 to 7.0 range.

Any comments from all appreciated.

George

Good luck, George.

I just sold the 6.5 mentioned above, and have been looking at the prices for a little while in that range. It seems to me like the auction prices in the sub-7.0 range have dipped a little from the high (leading to my personal disappointment at the price), but they are still way above where they started at the time of the run-up (meaning I have absolutely no reason to complain in the big picture). I think we overshot the market point with "AF 15 fever," but that market point remains elevated considerably over where it was a short time ago, leading to a downward correction and, possibly, a static price for awhile.

That being said, it also seems like most "buy-it-now" asking prices have not adjusted downward, but are actually assuming the run-up in prices is ongoing across all grades. I would bet reserves are set assuming the same. Therefore, you need to bid in a non-reserve auction to expect to get a book at a current market price.

It also seems like the 7.0 range and up (especially with nice page quality) is where there is still more of a seller's market. I will be curious about how the AF 15s do in the HA and Cominclink auctions to see if the dip will creep up to that tier of grades or if the weakness will continue to be found in the sub-7 range. The Mound City auction was stong, but I am not sure if that was an anomaly or motivated by the hope that it was pressable into a higher grade given that it was an original owner copy that was not optimally stored.

What is the market like now?

Are prices still rising or has there been a downturn?

It's been flat this year at the 7.0 and below level. 7.5 and up has been slightly up this year so far, although obviously there's not much data to go on, which I suppose is why that part of the AF15 market is up to begin with, higher demand and lower supply. If I were looking for a mid-grade copy and didn't care how long it took to get it, I'd bid slightly-below-market prices on every one that shows up the next year or so; odds are good you'll end up snagging one.

If you're planning to hold onto it for 5+ years, paying current market price should work out for you, but not for at least 2-3 years.

I've been involved in 3 af15 5.0 off-white transactions. All 10k transactions. I am currently holding on one 5.0 ow. Conclusion: good price point--10k is still within reach of most collectors. Off-white good page quality makes it a little easier to move. No marvel chipping or markings or writings. I know this isn't as rare as6.0 and above but it's a good price point with good eye apeal