• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I submitted the AF #15 I bought from Adam (Filter81) at the CGC booth at C2E2 and got the grade back a couple of days ago. He had estimated an MP (moderate professional) 7.0 on the book and I pretty much agreed that I thought it was in the 6.5-7.5 range. The front cover is SWEET but the back cover has some mainly discoloration issues that I knew would bring the grade down. Well, the damn thing came back an EP (extensive professional) 5.5 and I am, needless to say, one irritated individual right now. How the hell that book got graded a 5.5 is beyond me. I'll call for graders' notes tomorrow but it's gonna take me awhile to get over this if I ever do. :mad:

Oh, and just to clarify things, I'm pissed at CGC and not Adam. He supplied the book as stated although we were both high on the grading estimate. I know...win some, lose some but this one is a BIG loser. :cry:

Wow,that sucks :(

Maybe this will make you feel better :foryou:

I submitted the AF #15 I bought from Adam (Filter81) at the CGC booth at C2E2 and got the grade back a couple of days ago. He had estimated an MP (moderate professional) 7.0 on the book and I pretty much agreed that I thought it was in the 6.5-7.5 range. The front cover is SWEET but the back cover has some mainly discoloration issues that I knew would bring the grade down. Well, the damn thing came back an EP (extensive professional) 5.5 and I am, needless to say, one irritated individual right now. How the hell that book got graded a 5.5 is beyond me. I'll call for graders' notes tomorrow but it's gonna take me awhile to get over this if I ever do. :mad:

Oh, and just to clarify things, I'm pissed at CGC and not Adam. He supplied the book as stated although we were both high on the grading estimate. I know...win some, lose some but this one is a BIG loser. :cry:

That's why...it's always best to buy an AF15 graded by CGC. One out of three out there, has some type of resto. :preach:

+1 :foryou:

+1 :foryou:

Welcome to the "win some lose some" club... :frustrated:

That's why...it's always best to buy an AF15 graded by CGC. One out of three out there, has some type of resto. :preach:

I knew it was restored before I bought it. Adam estimated moderate professional but it came back extensive professional. I have less problem with that than I do the grade given.

not that it will help but when the book is in your possession, post a scan so we can see that it looks like because even restored, a 5.5 is big difference from a 7.0

Scans of the front and back cover of this book (before grading) are posted on page 179 of this same thread. (thumbs u

Well, I was FINALLY able to payoff my AF #15 purchase from Adam (Filter81) from last year so I should be receiving the book shortly. I'll post new scans when I get it. It's a restored copy but boy does it look sweet! :whee:

Well.....here it is folks. My personal grail of all grails. Shipped to me via USPS Express Mail in bomb-proof packaging from Filter81 (Adam) and received yesterday (more later on Adam). My son had to sign for it because my wife and I were in Chicago all day yesterday helping my sister-in-law with computer setup and improving her house. I didn't open the package until this morning but boy was I ever happy when I first saw this cover!

AmazingFantasy15FN-VF.jpg

AmazingFantasy15FN-VFBack.jpg

As I stated before, it's a restored copy but does it ever look great! The front cover is in the 8.5-9.0 range. The back cover is what will bring the grade down (probably around a 7.0) but the overall structure of the book is just fabulous! I couldn't be happier with my 1st copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. :grin:

Very special kudos go out to Adam (Filter81) for making this purchase a reality. It took me a LOT longer to pay for this than I expected, but because Adam has the patience of Job we both stuck it out and made it happen. Thanks again Adam for making my dream of owning a nice copy of AF #15 a reality! (worship)(worship)

I just (very carefully) read through the book and will be forwarding it on to CGC shortly for slabbing. (thumbs u

this got a 5.5...?

wtf..?

No way. :frustrated: There's no water damage right? CGC know down grades substantially...depending on the amount of water damage.

No water damage visible to me anyway. Adam can chime in on this if he wants. You can see the larger area of color touch on the left side of the back cover (at the middle) but I didn't see any water damage anywhere. (shrug)

Looks like some heavy duty work on the upper staple BC. Looks badly krinkled. And in the middle spine area BC staining, long horizontal stressing, etc. Something's going on.

Maybe this played into the downgrading? (shrug)

Words to live by :preach:

Personally, if I were to buy a restored book it would have to be CGC graded already.. It's really tough to judge the grade of a restored book yourself or others because I really do not know how CGC grades them.. A book may look VF or NM after restoration, but sometimes CGC would give it a lower grade. I have seen many examples of this and wondered why it graded so low.. I'm sorry to hear about the grade.. I would cry too if it happened to me

looking at the scans, I personally think the book would be a stretch for a 7.0 but 5.5 is harsh. If I was to guess the grade, I may have given it a 6.0/6.5.

If Rick can throw up the scans of the 6.5 he has, as well as looking at Peewee 's old 7.0 copy that have been posted here multiple times, I think both of them are nicer than this one. But then again, it is unfair to compare Peewee's old 7.0 because that book looks nicer than most 7.5 I saw.

looking at the scans, I personally think the book would be a stretch for a 7.0 but 5.5 is harsh. If I was to guess the grade, I may have given it a 6.0/6.5.

If Rick can throw up the scans of the 6.5 he has, as well as looking at Peewee 's old 7.0 copy that have been posted here multiple times, I think both of them are nicer than this one. But then again, it is unfair to compare Peewee's old 7.0 because that book looks nicer than most 7.5 I saw.

I'll agree with your assessment. I think I would have been OK with a 6.0-6.5 grade but I still think 5.5 is too harsh.