• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

(i) Is a book like that readily available or how difficult are books like these to locate?

Not readily available, I might have seen 2-3 in the last decade. Glue is rare on Silver Age books, trimming is common.

I am guessing you don't have GPA because most of what you need regarding prices are there.

a 8.0 PLOD is $3k to $4k

a 9.0 PLOD is $3k to $7k

there are 19 PLOD for 8.0

there are 14 PLOD for 9.0

the value for PLOD swing wildly from slight restoration to extensive so expect to pay top of the range if you want something that doesn't include TRIMMING.

Ehh, if I was in his position, I'd say "trim me up".

But I'm biased, my AF #15 is a trimmed PLOD.

I'm in the minority in thinking that trimming is far from the worst thing in the world. You're not adding reproduced material to the book, your taking away from the original.

It's a real bad issue if the trimming is not disclosed but if picking up a trimmed PLOD means a huge discount, I'll take it over a much lower graded book without it.

I'm speaking personally of course; not exactly from a financial perspective.

I am guessing you don't have GPA because most of what you need regarding prices are there.

a 8.0 PLOD is $3k to $4k

a 9.0 PLOD is $3k to $7k

the value for PLOD swing wildly from slight restoration to extensive so expect to pay top of the range if you want something that doesn't include TRIMMING.

I'm in the minority in thinking that trimming is far from the worst thing in the world. You're not adding reproduced material to the book, your taking away from the original.

It's a real bad issue if the trimming is not disclosed but if picking up a trimmed PLOD means a huge discount, I'll take it over a much lower graded book without it.

Trimming is a (tsk) for me. Look at how many Showcase 22 8.5 and 9.0 plods are trimmed...such a shame.

a 8.0 PLOD is $3k to $4k

a 9.0 PLOD is $3k to $7k

Trimming is a (tsk) for me. Look at how many Showcase 22 8.5 and 9.0 plods are trimmed...such a shame.

I am far from an expert when it comes to SA DC, but what differences in price might these trimmed PLOD's bring in?

It all depends on your budget and if you cannot afford to HG blue label, than I am a fan of being able to pick up that same HG issue with a little trimming for a generous discount.

a 8.0 PLOD is $3k to $4k

a 9.0 PLOD is $3k to $7k

I am far from an expert when it comes to SA DC, but what differences in price might these trimmed PLOD's bring in?

It all depends on your budget and if you cannot afford to HG blue label, than I am a fan of being able to pick up that same HG issue with a little trimming for a generous discount.

I agree, it's a more affordable price for a nice visual appeal. Normally not to much resto and trimmed will get you anywhere from 1/12 to 1/10 of the universal grade. I had a chance to buy a trimmed Action 1 in 2003...good deal now.

a 8.0 PLOD is $3k to $4k

a 9.0 PLOD is $3k to $7k

I agree, it's a more affordable price for a nice visual appeal. Normally not to much resto and trimmed will get you anywhere from 1/12 to 1/10 of the universal grade. I had a chance to buy a trimmed Action 1 in 2003...good deal now.

And I think that just goes to show the insanity of PLOD prices in some instances. Again, I'm not speaking from a financial perspective as the market does not usually reflect my beliefs in this area, but 1/10 of Universal grade for trimming is just crazy in my opinion.

I realize that discount often comes when the book includes additional restoration but just look at the differences in trimmed books alone.

Even if it was 1/2, you could save thousands on a well preserved book just because it was trimmed to look better than it really is. The PQ would be the same, the amount of defects would be the same, with the exception of course being the trimming.

If I didn't already own a copy and I had more money to invest, I'd be quite tempted to find a nice HG but trimmed AF #15 PLOD.

a 8.0 PLOD is $3k to $4k

a 9.0 PLOD is $3k to $7k

I was thinking in terms of the chances to obtain a copy with very minor restoe. Something like a few dots of CT and/or glue. (P) or (A) is not a deal-breaker or a big issue for me as long as the work is very minor. Obviously most of the (P)-copies have had the work removed during the last years of AF15/blue label frenzy. But there should be - I hope - some slight (A) copies left in the market? The GPA-radar doesnt detect these books with very minor work done to them I think. Or am I wrong here? Very minor amateur work lowers the buy-price a lot and I get a great book for my collection (even though the resell-value for the time being will be low). That is the perspective that makes me consider sinking a lot of cash into an AF15 PLOD .... But I want to go super slight, - i.e. very minor work. But I dont know if that plan is realistic. I hope som boardies have some info on this topic (thumbs u

(i) Is a book like that readily available or how difficult are books like these to locate?

Not readily available, I might have seen 2-3 in the last decade. Glue is rare on Silver Age books, trimming is common.

2 or 3 in the last decade :o

Really ??!!

I presume you are referring to very minor restored copies? (shrug)

I had NO idea they were that rare ...

a 8.0 PLOD is $3k to $4k

a 9.0 PLOD is $3k to $7k

And I think that just goes to show the insanity of PLOD prices in some instances. Again, I'm not speaking from a financial perspective as the market does not usually reflect my beliefs in this area, but 1/10 of Universal grade for trimming is just crazy in my opinion.

I realize that discount often comes when the book includes additional restoration but just look at the differences in trimmed books alone.

Even if it was 1/2, you could save thousands on a well preserved book just because it was trimmed to look better than it really is. The PQ would be the same, the amount of defects would be the same, with the exception of course being the trimming.

If I didn't already own a copy and I had more money to invest, I'd be quite tempted to find a nice HG but trimmed AF #15 PLOD.

I may be in the minority in my thinking process here, but I believe that the value of PLOD's as compared to Universal grades (the percentage that PLOD's bring vs. Universals) will double or triple over time. I have nothing to base this on other than gut feel.

Then how does it make you feel that some trimming is undetectable? Almost ANY book could be trimmed, even ones in Universal CGC holders. I'd have to think that people who detest trimming are in the same boat as people who detest pressing--pissed off and considering leaving the hobby. I suppose at least with trimming you're pissed to a lesser extent since at least it's more often detectable than pressing.

Really ??!!

I'm referring to what you asked about, 8.0 and up books with color touch only; I almost never see Silver books with glue. 8.0 and up copies of AF15 with minor restoration are rare, period. I'd amend that a bit--I may never have seen one of these books that wasn't also trimmed, it may be less than 2-3 in the last decade. Search Heritage's archives, you may not find any at all.

What you're ultimately wanting is a nearly-pristine AF15 on the cheap, one that's been soiled juuuuuust enough so that the market turns its nose up at it...you're not likely to find it, at least I haven't seen them up for sale since I started collecting Spidey in 2000. I've considered all of the 8.0 and up restored AF15s that hit market...over half are trimmed. There was a particularly nice AF15 CGC 9.6 with trimming and slight color touch for sale twice around 2004-2005...I somewhat regret now not going for that one. Ultimately I end up passing on them because the market is too volatile to even put a price on them...I lowball bid on them and end up not winning. I think the 9.6 restored sold for double or triple what it did the first time the second time it sold, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it resold again at a price 5x higher or 5x lower than either of those sales, prices are just all over the board on restored high grade books.

just depends on the price...at the current 28K, it is a bargain, but reserve is not met... I believe this copy recently sold for about 58K (a huge drop from when it sold for almost 80K before)...

I think you are referring to the Mound City copy right? The MC copy is better than this copy, and went for a high price and peak price (possbile pressing candidate by a flipper hm ). As Brannon stated "this copy with a PQ nothing to brag about. "

nope, I mean this exact copy being offered in the Quality auction recently was purchased for approx 58K, and previous to that, I believe it sold for approx 80K (a huge 22K devaluation from purchase in 2008 to purchase in 2009)

The CGC 8.0 copy with chipping and cr/ow pages actually sold at Heritage for $52K. Do you know where it sold for $80K at previously? There are no sales in GPA at all for that high a price for an 8.0.

pretty sure it was a comiclink sale... I knew it was in the 50's at heritage (just too lazy to look up exact amount, hence why I put "approx")... but 2 years ago on clink, it reportedly sold for 80K (I saved the scan, same book, and again, going from memory, it was clink)...

That corrects. I remember that sale at C Link

You'd think Josh would highlight the highest price ever for an 8.0 in his auction highlights pages on his site, but I couldn't find that one in there...he may have just overlooked it. Here's a link to his past auction highlights pages, they're fun to browse through:

http://www.comiclink.com/service_text.asp?2

wasn't an auction, was on the exchange, if I recall (shrug)

Really ??!!

I'm referring to what you asked about, 8.0 and up books with color touch only; I almost never see Silver books with glue. 8.0 and up copies of AF15 with minor restoration are rare, period. I'd amend that a bit--I may never have seen one of these books that wasn't also trimmed, it may be less than 2-3 in the last decade. Search Heritage's archives, you may not find any at all.

What you're ultimately wanting is a nearly-pristine AF15 on the cheap, one that's been soiled juuuuuust enough so that the market turns its nose up at it...you're not likely to find it, at least I haven't seen them up for sale since I started collecting Spidey in 2000. I've considered all of the 8.0 and up restored AF15s that hit market...over half are trimmed. There was a particularly nice AF15 CGC 9.6 with trimming and slight color touch for sale twice around 2004-2005...I somewhat regret now not going for that one. Ultimately I end up passing on them because the market is too volatile to even put a price on them...I lowball bid on them and end up not winning. I think the 9.6 restored sold for double or triple what it did the first time the second time it sold, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it resold again at a price 5x higher or 5x lower than either of those sales, prices are just all over the board on restored high grade books.

there have a been quite a few high grade af15's that are slight, most that only had color touch (at least one was trimmed, but I can't recall if more were) ...the ones I recall or made notes are a

1x 9.6

2x 9.4's

2x9.2

8x9.0

7x8.5

4x8.0

and those are just the cgc'd ones... plenty out there, just finding them, and finding them not trimmed becomes the challenge (thumbs u

there have a been quite a few high grade af15's that are slight, most that only had color touch (at least one was trimmed, but I can't recall if more were)

That's the part I can't remember, which were trimmed--most of them I see are, my guess was that 2-3 weren't, but there could have been more or less. Browsing the Heritage archives is likely to be the best indication we'll get for now as to how common the trimmed versus untrimmed ones are.

out of the 24 high grade slight rest AF 15's that are on the census, i can only confirm 11 were not trimmed (I have notes on 17 of the 24 copies, and 6 were trimmed, the other 11 were not)... if the other 13 were trimmed (probable?) then finding an untrimmed copy will be tough, in that higher slight range (thumbs u

And keep in mind several were SA due to amatuer c/t which bleeds through

That's exactly what he said he's looking for--if it were pro color touch only someone likely would've removed it to make it universal.

I checked Heritage and only found three slight copies at 8.0 or better from the last 8-9 years -- the 9.6 I mentioned which actually ISN'T trimmed, but does have CT, piece replacement, and a tear seal...a 9.0 with notes of color touch, tear seals, reinforced...and an 8.5 that was trimmed.

I checked Heritage and only found three slight copies at 8.0 or better from the last 8-9 years -- the 9.6 I mentioned which actually ISN'T trimmed, but does have CT, piece replacement, and a tear seal...a 9.0 with notes of color touch, tear seals, reinforced...and an 8.5 that was trimmed.
I think most of them went through clink, some via pedigree, and ebay.... heritage is suprisingly not the best place for SA over the past few years... golden age, yes, but it seems to be way down the list for SA keys (from my experience...clink clearly #1)