• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Buck Rogers
1 1

79 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Years ago, Tony Raiola used to reprint some great comic strips through his Pacific Comics Club.  He did a 52-volume set of Buck Rogers that is oversized and in beautiful color that was a "must" for all Buck Rogers collectors.  A leading collector, Ray Funk, noticed that one volume was missing a few panels and Xeroxed them from his tear sheet collection and gave them to me so I would have a complete collection.  Ray grew up with Buck Rogers and stayed a very devoted fan throughout his life.  He convinced me to buy a set when Tony still had some.  Over the years I see sets on eBay and other sites and each time the price seems to drop so I but another one.  I hope someday they will serve as good trade material.  Ray liked Buck so much that he spent several years on a labor of love, creating a 14-volume set of laminated pages reprinting the strips year by year, and throwing in lots of other things just for fun.  He had each volume bound with a spiral holder so he could enjoy reading the pages in order.  As an example, here is Volume 4 which reprints strips #200 through #251, which are the 1934 strips.  His 14 volumes are one of my treasured collectibles as they were done by an early collector because of his love of the strip.

Buck Rogers 52 volume set by Tony Raiola.jpg

Buck Rogers scrapbook #4 cover by Ray Funk.jpg

Buck Rogers scrapbook #4 inside front cover and strip #200 by Ray Funk.jpg

And Tony still shows up at our local shows but I never see too many people buying from him which is a shame because this is wonderful material. Back in the early seventies I discovered our County library had a great collection of the strip reprint hardbacks that had been published back then. One of them was a Buck Rogers collection which I quickly devoured. They also had the Gumps, Little Orphan Annie and Popeye. They were all great to read. To round things out the library also had a copy of Seduction of the Innocent which I also read! Great times.

Those are beautiful, early pages in great condition--sorry you didn't get them.  They remind me of a quote from a great collector.  Malcolm Forbes once said that he didn't regret anything he bought, only some things that he didn't buy.

Edited by Yellow Kid
typo

On 7/18/2008 at 4:41 PM, Theagenes said:

This is a very underrated cover IMO and one of my favorite books. The Buck Rogers strip was one of the main features in Famous Funnies from its debut in #3 to the end of the run twenty years later, and yet this is the only Buck Rogers cover from early part of the run - he wouldn't appear again until the Frazetta issues fourteen years later. It came out just after Buck Rogers 1 and about the same time as Buck Rogers 2, so its purpose was probably to help plug the new series.

FamousFunnies082LV3sm.jpg

Indeed, love this cover, and it's significance.  Grabbed myself a copy several months ago!  

20200705_045335.jpg

Edited by waaaghboss

Just now, Robot Man said:

And, why not?

buckrogerssonicraygun4a.jpg

buckrogerssonicraygun2a.jpg

buckrogerssonicraygun3a.jpg

I had a beat up loose one of these at one time. The box is great! Are those two bottom pictures the box side graphics?

13 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I had a beat up loose one of these at one time. The box is great! Are those two bottom pictures the box side graphics?

Yes, side panels. I have seen the guns from time to time. Usually incomplete or broken. This is a marriage. I found the box, then the gun and the instructions turned up somewhere so I grabbed them. Tougher to find this way.