• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
14 14

5,098 posts in this topic

Well, I have some great news. That painting I finished up that I posted on the last page wound up selling in less than 3 days once my art rep had pictures of the painting in hand to send to potential buyers and other reps. Here is the painting in case people missed it. Its the largest painting I have made to date as its 6' x 4'. 

Painting-1.thumb.jpg.d3bb3a082a9bc67e74e1cadd43cb59d5.jpg.33b72c44f582c59d633a489b5ad6d83a.jpg

And that is one of the reasons why having a quality art rep is so vital, especially if you want to sell limited edition prints or original artwork. Sure, you can try and sell the prints on places like eBay, or other sites dedicated to selling artwork, but so much stuff gets posted these days that it very likely a lot of visitors will never even see your work. You can start your own website, but it takes a lot of time to get word around that that the site even exists. Even tho its going to cost you some money, having a quality art rep is absolutely mandatory IMO as they know a LOT about the business and the know a LOT of the people in the art collecting community, including other reps and many of the big buyers, especially in your neck of the woods. Of course, you have to pay your rep a commission, but in my experience over the last 15 years, its absolutely worth every last penny. Everyone needs to make a living including art reps.

Anyways, it wound up selling for $5500 so its now the 2nd most valuable piece of art I have sold to date. The #1 spot is still held by a 5 print portfolio I made of the World Trade Center that I put together just a few months after the towers came down. I made 5 portfolio's in total and each portfolio had 5 - 18x24 matted prints. I always planned on keeping one portfolio for myself so I really only had 4 portfolios I was putting up for sale. I was initially going to price them at $20,000, but my art rep convinced me to raise the price to $30,000 or basically $6,000 per print given everything that had happened  Amazingly, it only took 3 months to sell all 4 portfolio's. I have to admit, part of me felt like I was taking advantage of that whole tragedy by trying to sell portfolio's of the towers so shortly after that event took place but as an artist, I was really motivated by those events to produce those prints and not for the sake of money. I have always been a HUGE fan of Minoru Yamasaki, the architect of the towers. Basically, there were a lot of high profile people, including architects, that really wanted to remember those building in all thier glory and as such, there were quite a few photographers who profited greatly from the pictures they had of the WTC in the weeks, months, and years following that collapse of the towers. 

Anyways, I am a very happy man today. Gonna hit up Sideshow and pre order a couple new statues, hit up Amazon and buy some art books I have had my eye on, and will likely hit up some online comic shops and make a few purchases. 

On 3/28/2018 at 2:02 PM, OrangeCrush said:

Well, I have some great news. That painting I finished up that I posted on the last page wound up selling in less than 3 days once my art rep had pictures of the painting in hand to send to potential buyers and other reps. Here is the painting in case people missed it. Its the largest painting I have made to date as its 6' x 4'. 

Painting-1.thumb.jpg.d3bb3a082a9bc67e74e1cadd43cb59d5.jpg.33b72c44f582c59d633a489b5ad6d83a.jpg

And that is one of the reasons why having a quality art rep is so vital, especially if you want to sell limited edition prints or original artwork. Sure, you can try and sell the prints on places like eBay, or other sites dedicated to selling artwork, but so much stuff gets posted these days that it very likely a lot of visitors will never even see your work. You can start your own website, but it takes a lot of time to get word around that that the site even exists. Even tho its going to cost you some money, having a quality art rep is absolutely mandatory IMO as they know a LOT about the business and the know a LOT of the people in the art collecting community, including other reps and many of the big buyers, especially in your neck of the woods. Of course, you have to pay your rep a commission, but in my experience over the last 15 years, its absolutely worth every last penny. Everyone needs to make a living including art reps.

Anyways, it wound up selling for $5500 so its now the 2nd most valuable piece of art I have sold to date. The #1 spot is still held by a 5 print portfolio I made of the World Trade Center that I put together just a few months after the towers came down. I made 5 portfolio's in total and each portfolio had 5 - 18x24 matted prints. I always planned on keeping one portfolio for myself so I really only had 4 portfolios I was putting up for sale. I was initially going to price them at $20,000, but my art rep convinced me to raise the price to $30,000 or basically $6,000 per print given everything that had happened  Amazingly, it only took 3 months to sell all 4 portfolio's. I have to admit, part of me felt like I was taking advantage of that whole tragedy by trying to sell portfolio's of the towers so shortly after that event took place but as an artist, I was really motivated by those events to produce those prints and not for the sake of money. I have always been a HUGE fan of Minoru Yamasaki, the architect of the towers. Basically, there were a lot of high profile people, including architects, that really wanted to remember those building in all thier glory and as such, there were quite a few photographers who profited greatly from the pictures they had of the WTC in the weeks, months, and years following that collapse of the towers. 

Anyways, I am a very happy man today. Gonna hit up Sideshow and pre order a couple new statues, hit up Amazon and buy some art books I have had my eye on, and will likely hit up some online comic shops and make a few purchases. 

congratulations! theres no better thrill than selling an expensive painting. except perhaps buying the comics you want with the money you got! :) who's your art rep? 

hope i didn't post this one before! its called "Bad Girls," before and after, and it's acrylic and oil on an antique photograph. this one is a little larger, the photo is 6.5 x 8.5 inches. you all know who the ladies in the painted version are. mixing dc and marvel universe imagery always feels a little crazy to me, even at this advanced age. 

bad-girls.jpg

17 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

congratulations! theres no better thrill than selling an expensive painting. except perhaps buying the comics you want with the money you got! :) who's your art rep? 

Much appreciated! I was with Wall Productions for a number of years, but recently switched over to Elizabeth Poje´ + Associates. I have a really good friend who I went to art school with who wound up getting a job with Elizabeth Poje so it just seemed like the right thing to do. 

On 3/28/2018 at 2:02 PM, OrangeCrush said:

Did you paint this piece? 

I am a bit of an artist myself,  I really have only ventured into charcoal. 

This piece talks to me. I interpret it as all the color\life around the world, and mom is struggling to keep it together embracing her child ,alone , in spite  of her pain.

Edited by oakman29

On 28/03/2018 at 2:48 AM, DanPiercy said:

03453FFF-435A-4912-9AF0-A0A9C96E6823.jpeg

It's clobbering time!

On 28/03/2018 at 4:15 AM, bronze_rules said:

recreation...after Jim Starlin and Frank Giacoia

11X17 india ink

CM_POST.jpg.014244d06d853bb3aa72bcf4906a9880.jpg

Twice!

5 hours ago, oakman29 said:

This piece talks to me. I interpret it as all the color\life around the world, and mom is struggling to keep it together embracing her child ,alone , in spite  of her pain.

Exterminators have feelings too :foryou:

On 4/15/2018 at 8:31 AM, oakman29 said:

Yeah, I did half of it then kind of got pulled away and it sat there for awhile unfinished. I finally broke down a couple months back and finished it up. I don't do as much painting as I would like as I tend to spend most of my art time on photography and wire tree's. Charcoal is one of my favorite mediums and one of the most under appreciated IMO. Not many artists that I follow do a lot of charcoal work. I would love to see some of your work if you get a chance to post it up. 

And I appreciate the compliment on the piece. Its always nice when people appreciate your artwork. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

Just did some more quick and dirty copy work today to post up on Facebook so I figured I would post up in here as well. 

The Duomo, Florence Italy.

IMG_9052.2.thumb.jpg.9d581fb6ba7ac4c77cf2fea014fd2645.jpg

Downtown Detroit, MI.

IMG_9070.2.thumb.jpg.d5d923e37abd5db39b4a86ed3da816b5.jpg

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MI.

IMG_9072.2.thumb.jpg.edb257682e5606fcd9319149e4a6ff15.jpg

I don't do portrait or fashion type photography very often, but every once in awhile I get inspired to give it a try. 

IMG_9077.2.thumb.jpg.3bd20243da5ac5e404e8a3d52fc7963a.jpg

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

That would be cool to recieve a package like that. :applause:

>:(