• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
14 14

5,098 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2019 at 11:19 PM, aszumilo said:

Just an FYI, Weird is spelled wrong.

Yea.  I saw that.  I think that old elementary school saying …. " I" before "e", except after "c" interfered with this word.  

But fear not....   It has been corrected on the final cover :banana:

969437785_zzzSpike11dark.thumb.jpg.e9b24dc842cb849dc083599772f2fc43.jpg

On 10/29/2019 at 2:37 PM, drewincanada said:

I haven't posted in this thread in at least a few years. Actually I haven't posted on the forum at all in a year or so. 

Here are a few portrait commissions I've completed in the last six months. Both are oil on canvas.

JAHAIRA_FINAL.jpg

Patricia.jpg

I must say you have improved steadily, I admire your work ethic. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:00 AM, bronze_rules said:

Do you mean this is pencil?? That already looks inked! Amazing. Silly question, but what type of pencil is that? Mechanical, 2b lead? If it is inked, what type of inking tool does he use?  Do you actually do anything with these? or complete stories? It seems like a professional publication already. I don't know much about Spike Milligan, but it seems like a parody based on him? Definitely leads me to want more. Especially the process from inception part.

Sorry so late with a reply bronze_rules, I was …..uh, detained.  

Anyways, you are correct, it IS inked already.   As for what I do with them, well, after all pages are ready, I take them to the printer and get a few hundred copies made, then I distribute them at various Portland Oregon Breweries for the patrons to read.  Most of those places have a shelf of FREE stuff and I just set a stack of em on the shelf and go have a beer. It's cool to see peoples reaction.  There have been six issues so far.    We are now working on issues   ( #7 - #12)   with a couple changes.  First being that Jack (the cover artist) will be doing ALL the interior pages as well. And second, I will be dropping a few copies at Portland area comic book stores ( if any would like them)  to see what kind of reaction we might get from "real comic book readers".  

Having a real comic publisher print and distribute them nationwide (for $$$ of course) would be a great blessing, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it (if we come to it )    Also, these books are MAD magazine size and in BLACK AND WHITE.  The story takes place in the city of Portland and many of the scenes are real places.  It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the comedian SPIKE MILLIGAN though.  A single letter is the difference !!  

When the next issue goes to print, I'll give notice here in case anyone is going to be in Portland  :grin:

Edited by Senormac

On 11/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, Crimebuster said:

I'm working hard on the second issue of my self-published series The Crimebusters, which is a mystery-adventure series in the spirit of Scooby-Doo that also carries on the continuity form the Golden Age series Boy Comics featuring Chuck Chandler, Crimebuster.

I'm currently doing the linework for pages 26-27 (out of 31), but I took some time out of that to work on the cover for #2. The story is a haunted house tale that takes place on Halloween (in 1956), so I wanted to get the cover done for Halloween.

Here it is!

2111710645_issue2coverFB.jpg.3b9ca5d38a24272c21805d3562a04ca3.jpg

I'll be taking the comic to Kickstarter at the end of January, with some variant covers as well. But I'm pretty happy with this one!

Looks great man,please remind me about the kickstarter in case I miss the newsletter!I'm in!

I have issue #1 folks,and it's great,check it out!

On 10/24/2019 at 4:41 PM, bronze_rules said:

Continuing to think out loud... Today is one of those days where I just cannot get my brush to cooperate at all. 
Times like this, I just want to throw it away and start over. I really applaud the old brush inkers for their consistency.  I think if you are tired or having a bad day, it shows in your art! Lastly, while I used to fully blame myself, and plenty of bitter professionals will be quick to say it is just you, I found plenty of evidence showing that art tools are just getting crappier. I was reading a fairly recent interview with Sal Buscema... he said he could not get the modern brushes to work right and switched to marker type pens.  I see a lot of professionals go that route.  

Well, one last thing I’ll share.  I once read Dan Adkins say that Wally Wood tought him to burn the tip of a brush and he’d get whispery thin lines. I tried it once and destroyed the brush.  

My progress today reminds me of Bill Everett’s (faithful inks) over a scratchety Ross Andru rendition of the Defenders in Marvel Feature 1. Stan was upset about that one.  

EF72BA21-809C-4357-80A5-E63BEDD9B0B7.jpeg

Agreed. You need to be inspired. Can't be going through the motions. I find it very hard to paint (I am a more mediocre illustrator) when I have 27 things stressing my out and nowadays I always have 27 things stressing me out. 

On 11/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, Senormac said:

Sorry so late with a reply bronze_rules, I was …..uh, detained.  

Anyways, you are correct, it IS inked already.   As for what I do with them, well, after all pages are ready, I take them to the printer and get a few hundred copies made, then I distribute them at various Portland Oregon Breweries for the patrons to read.  Most of those places have a shelf of FREE stuff and I just set a stack of em on the shelf and go have a beer. It's cool to see peoples reaction.  There have been six issues so far.    We are now working on issues   ( #7 - #12)   with a couple changes.  First being that Jack (the cover artist) will be doing ALL the interior pages as well. And second, I will be dropping a few copies at Portland area comic book stores ( if any would like them)  to see what kind of reaction we might get from "real comic book readers".  

Having a real comic publisher print and distribute them nationwide (for $$$ of course) would be a great blessing, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it (if we come to it )    Also, these books are MAD magazine size and in BLACK AND WHITE.  The story takes place in the city of Portland and many of the scenes are real places.  It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the comedian SPIKE MILLIGAN though.  A single letter is the difference !!  

When the next issue goes to print, I'll give notice here in case anyone is going to be in Portland  :grin:

This comic is AWESOME-and not just because it has a behind the scenes JIMMERS appearance! :banana:

10 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Looks great man,please remind me about the kickstarter in case I miss the newsletter!I'm in!

I have issue #1 folks,and it's great,check it out!

I'll be sure to remind you, thanks again for the support! I'll probably post here as well when the time comes.

I don't think I ever posted in this thread the Kickstarter exclusive variant cover for #2. Each issue, I do a cover you can only get through Kickstarter, which features the original numbering continued from Boy Comics. So this second issue will be #121. 

This issue features a backup story spotlighting one of my supporting characters, Vera Veritas. She's a science major at Chuck's college, and like us, she's also a hardcore sci-fi geek. The story is, in part, about how sci-fi inspires us; in the story, Vera's inspirational touchstone is an old, well-loved copy of Planet Comics #71. 

So I had to do an homage cover, with Vera saving the rest of the Crimebusters from The Ghost Bride!

1601585636_page31.thumb.jpg.90956ea1ae8e45921f15f2d527ad773a.jpg

On 11/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, KryptoMayor said:

Not really an artwork, but I had fun painting and putting this model together with my kids. My LCS had it marked 50% off so I figured, why not? Paint cost more than the model O.o

Went with gloss paint on the costume and I didn’t have, “Liefeld Pouch Brown,” so we went with Gold and I love how it came out. 

2DA439AA-0192-4E13-B8EA-7D53699C60D9.jpeg

BC20065C-2C46-4E27-BA6F-992923320221.jpeg

073845A7-546F-426B-BF56-E4EB704B6A6D.jpeg

nice.. I use to paint these mini models for a game I use to play called Warhammer 40,000 (40k)

On 11/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, KryptoMayor said:

Not really an artwork, but I had fun painting and putting this model together with my kids. My LCS had it marked 50% off so I figured, why not? Paint cost more than the model O.o

Went with gloss paint on the costume and I didn’t have, “Liefeld Pouch Brown,” so we went with Gold and I love how it came out. 

2DA439AA-0192-4E13-B8EA-7D53699C60D9.jpeg

BC20065C-2C46-4E27-BA6F-992923320221.jpeg

073845A7-546F-426B-BF56-E4EB704B6A6D.jpeg

a little trick I learned to get the guns to look more like gunmetal I would take a dry stiff brush and dabble a little silver and gentle brush the dry brush over the gun to give it a texturing. you do it on some areas with the black and create a more 3D look to the gun. 

Just now, sartrexpress said:

Some of my son’s sculpture... he worked for McFarlane and has worked for Pop Shock Culture and Necca... if there’s anyone interested in his work to hire on consignment or job related please pm me. imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

D005AE2D-B10B-4290-A663-1561A2BAD823.jpeg

Talented family!This one's my favourite.

When you say something begins at a certain time then it should begin at that time.  Otherwise, leaving me bored in a room with a whiteboard and dry erase markers leads to me finding ways to keep myself occupied. 

4653D018-8281-4D54-A000-D7EA4EC04AC7.jpeg

E0FCBD6D-A33F-43FD-B8F9-178471EE9279.jpeg