• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
14 14

5,098 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Sarfa said:

I haven't been around here in a few years. Here are a few of cover recreations I've done recently in one of my sketchbooks...

mister mystery 12.jpgCSS22.jpgThe Thing 15.jpg

Superb :golfclap:

Marvellous colouring. 

3 hours ago, wilbil said:

the original pencil illustration is impressive, and maybe more so than the colored version, to me. i think it is the simplicity of the illustration that appeals to me.

Use of color is tricky and when done right stands out.  Limited pallette.  The most striking comic covers use a limited pallette.  Compare limited pallette with amateurish use of throwing a wad of every color:
Uncanny X-Men 17 - Cyclops - Red - Angel - Professor X - Dick Ayers, Jack KirbyUncanny X-Men 205 - Barry Windsor-Smith   Fantastic Four 315 - Joe Sinnott

I have a little bit more to finish this but I wanted to show what I’ve been working on since 10/02 I call this piece “Focus - A Fan’s Perspective” It’s me drawing of picture of me watching and studying one of Aaron Horkey’s Instagram videos of him drawing a picture. That’s 4th wall inside a 4th wall. That’s like 16 walls!

A Fans Perspective - in progress.jpg

1 hour ago, Sarfa said:

I have a little bit more to finish this but I wanted to show what I’ve been working on since 10/02 I call this piece “Focus - A Fan’s Perspective” It’s me drawing of picture of me watching and studying one of Aaron Horkey’s Instagram videos of him drawing a picture. That’s 4th wall inside a 4th wall. That’s like 16 walls!

A Fans Perspective - in progress.jpg

incredible.  

Thank you. I actually almost ripped this out of my sketchbook and burn it because i bought a new set of markers. In the bottom right corner of the screen you can see the shading is all jacked up. The paper started reacting really weird. Come to find out the markers were water based instead of the usual alcohol based and it messed up the paper. But I muscled through it and got it to the current state. Here is a pic to show the scale of this piece. I bought a Moleskine art sketchbook on Amazon because it was on sale. I didn't pay attention to the size when I ordered it. This is by far the biggest Moleskine I have ever seen. In this pic you can see the Pentel Orenz Nero 0.2mm mechanical pencil, the Copic Multiliners and cool gray markers I used on this piece. You can also see a 6" ruler and my other sketchbook that I did the cover recreations recently.

scale.jpg

54 minutes ago, Sarfa said:

Thank you. I actually almost ripped this out of my sketchbook and burn it because i bought a new set of markers. In the bottom right corner of the screen you can see the shading is all jacked up. The paper started reacting really weird. Come to find out the markers were water based instead of the usual alcohol based and it messed up the paper. But I muscled through it and got it to the current state. Here is a pic to show the scale of this piece. I bought a Moleskine art sketchbook on Amazon because it was on sale. I didn't pay attention to the size when I ordered it. This is by far the biggest Moleskine I have ever seen. In this pic you can see the Pentel Orenz Nero 0.2mm mechanical pencil, the Copic Multiliners and cool gray markers I used on this piece. You can also see a 6" ruler and my other sketchbook that I did the cover recreations recently.

scale.jpg

Nice.  I really only use a copic 0.5 anymore then a futuyaki dbl sided brush pen.  Copic brush nibs last abt 5 minutes-the Futus are indestructible.  And cheaper.

I mostly used the 0.05 multiliner in all the detail work on the phone screen. I used 1.0 for some larger sections and the 2.0 on outlining the hand, fingers, left knee, etc.. This is actually my first time using gray tones only. I did use some neutral grays on the knees and hand. Everything else was cool grays. Ironically I had recently bought all the newer ultra tiny point Staedtler MarsMatic 700 technical pens to go with my set. The 4 new size pens cost more than my set. They were $40ea for the 0.13, 0.18, 0.1 and 0.25. And what's weird about hose measurements, the both the 0.13 and 0.18 are smaller than the 0.1. I didn't use them on this piece because in testing them, they were tearing up the paper pretty bad since they are new and need to be worn in some.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:33 AM, iggy said:

Not a recent one, but it became relevant again recently. From a college illustration class, probably 1984/85.

6DB15F09-01B3-4B6E-88BD-28DC2F40D8FD.jpeg

Great job on the shirt folds! Its the little details like that and the hand shading that I find most difficult.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:33 PM, iggy said:

Not a recent one, but it became relevant again recently. From a college illustration class, probably 1984/85.

Incredible.  I could post my college art stuff but I would hear the laughter from here.  It was really bad.  I am not a natural artist it took so many years before I could do anything decent.  Around age 27.

5 hours ago, Complex306 said:

Great job on the shirt folds! Its the little details like that and the hand shading that I find most difficult.

Not only that but capturing the likeness.  That is a real skill its so ethereal.  You can lightbox someone's face exactly and it will look nothing like them.  You almost have to enter another dimension to capture their essence.  That's why I find Mort Drucker so incredible-he could capture anyone.
Most comic artists when they go to draw some famous person it looks nothing like them.  And these are professional comic artists.

Edited by kav

On 10/20/2020 at 2:33 AM, iggy said:

No Frankenstrat?(shrug)