• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
14 14

5,098 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Complex306 said:

I've been thinking about getting a tablet to do digital art, that way I can make adjusts like placement really easily. I just don't know if spending $300-$400 on one is worthwhile or if I should just stick to the paint pens for now.

I had an airbrush painting that wouldnt fit on the scanner so i took a partial pic and I think it was you that said you liked the composition of the piece.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, kav said:

I had an airbrush painting that wouldnt fit on the scanner so i took a partial pic and I think it was you that said you liked the composition of the piece.

Yeah it was very realistic, would love to play around with an airbrush at some point.

7 minutes ago, CJ Design said:

So True...a lot of money in and a ton of pre prep....I admire it but, not my thing.

One of the first things I learned was do not use frisket instead use acetate and spray tack.

23 hours ago, CJ Design said:

Yes I did the frisket..I'm just more of a concept, pencil, paint or ink guy.

Frisket stretches and distorts as you remove and reapply it.  It is utterly useless.  Pro illustrator hipped me to the acetate method.

4 hours ago, drewincanada said:

Another oil portrait from this year. This is my brother who died suddenly last September. He was on vacation in California, celebrating his anniversary with his wife. On the final day of their vacation they were at the beach in Santa Monica. He had been swimming throughout the day and went back in for one final dip. He was hit hard by a wave, pulled under, and likely hit his head on the bottom. He was carefree and devilish, and I think I caught that in the painting.

DAVID_FINAL.jpg

So sorry about your brother. I nearly lost my youngest child to waves in Santa Monica when he was a toddler. 

On 11/24/2020 at 9:57 PM, kav said:

A lot of work.  also you need a good airbrush or you will be doomed.

Yeah that's why I'm really reticent to just buy one. They're not cheap and its alot of setup/ work to get started. I'd love to just play around with one first to see if I even like it. I don't know anybody that owns one though.

17 hours ago, drewincanada said:

Another oil portrait from this year. This is my brother who died suddenly last September. He was on vacation in California, celebrating his anniversary with his wife. On the final day of their vacation they were at the beach in Santa Monica. He had been swimming throughout the day and went back in for one final dip. He was hit hard by a wave, pulled under, and likely hit his head on the bottom. He was carefree and devilish, and I think I caught that in the painting.

DAVID_FINAL.jpg

That's crazy, sorry for your loss. You did a great job with the painting though, the lighting is especially good. 

4 hours ago, Complex306 said:

Yeah that's why I'm really reticent to just buy one. They're not cheap and its alot of setup/ work to get started. I'd love to just play around with one first to see if I even like it. I don't know anybody that owns one though.

I would scratch it off your list.  You need a good airbrush, a large compressor-not one of them small ones art stores sell you need a large one.  You cant really fool around with them I mean you can spray a bit and play with one but the cutting masking etc it takes to create a piece is time intensive.  Looking back i cant believe I did it-bought all that equipment and 2 books on airbrushing and just taught myself.

28 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

Yeah I'll pass on all that craziness, just think it would be fun to see how they operate, if I ever got my hands on one.

There might be an airbrush class learning exchange or something that would have all the equipment.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:38 PM, kav said:

There might be an airbrush class learning exchange or something that would have all the equipment.

Yeah I'd like to do a couple random classes, just to play around with other mediums, sculpture, airbrush etc. that I don't have the materials/ equipment to do.