• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
14 14

5,098 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:
2 hours ago, Senormac said:

I love it !!  What do you do with these things anyways ?  Do you sell prints or something ?

thanks mac-- as to your question, i sell the paintings, and sometimes make prints and sell those as well. i have a few collectors that own dozens of these paintings, believe it or not! i published a book of them several years ago, called "NOW AND THEN, the cabinet card paintings of Alex Gross."

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Then-Cabinet-Paintings-Gross/dp/1584234873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507401782&sr=8-1&keywords=now+and+then+cabinet+card+paintings

well, here's what I think......   that group shot one is FANTASTIC !!  .....  and you should do a limited edition run of it just as it appears above...... the black and white group shot of gentlemen above, with the colorized hero one underneath it.  As a single print.  Both together. 

Wonder if Marvel would have a problem with that ??    Anyways..... I'd buy one !!

6 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

before and after--this one is acrylic and oils on top of an antique photo, again. it's called 'marvel heroes,' in spite of the fact that a couple of them are villains. i gotta do a DC one sometime, but i was never as passionate about DC as i was with marvel. 

marvel-heroes-before-after-vertical.jpg

A single page print..... maybe 12 x 24.... something like that.  Signed and numbered !!  100 prints !! 

6 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

before and after--this one is acrylic and oils on top of an antique photo, again. it's called 'marvel heroes,' in spite of the fact that a couple of them are villains. i gotta do a DC one sometime, but i was never as passionate about DC as i was with marvel. 

marvel-heroes-before-after-vertical.jpg

Absolutely brilliant. I'm always in awe of people like you who come up with an original idea like this. So simple, but so clever. I particularly like Doc Ock here. He looks like someone out of a seventies psychedelic band. Spidey looks a little too pleased with himself too. :headbang:

10 minutes ago, Senormac said:

well, here's what I think......   that group shot one is FANTASTIC !!  .....  and you should do a limited edition run of it just as it appears above...... the black and white group shot of gentlemen above, with the colorized hero one underneath it.  As a single print.  Both together. 

Wonder if Marvel would have a problem with that ??    Anyways..... I'd buy one !!

Marvel has a problem when anyone is using their properties to make money, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

14 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Marvel has a problem when anyone is using their properties to make money, unfortunately.

If it seems impossible to do it without them (Marvel / Disney) ...... then get them on board !!  Disney is about making money and I bet they would back it.  You'd get less per print..... but you'd sell a zillion of em !! 

46 minutes ago, Senormac said:

thanks for the nice words and the suggestion. legal protections for artwork that references copyrighted properties exist as long as the artwork is 'transformative'. warhol's campbell's soup cans are one famous example. as i said, i've published a whole book of these pieces, and the publisher was confident that my works qualify as transformative, and there have not been any issues. so, that's not really a realistic concern. i'll think about your suggestion and certainly let you know if i make prints. 

i personally had the most fun putting in the villains, as it really adds another level of interest to the piece for us comic fans. it's almost like doc ock and loki snuck in the back while the photographer was getting ready. 

53 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thanks for the nice words and the suggestion. legal protections for artwork that references copyrighted properties exist as long as the artwork is 'transformative'. warhol's campbell's soup cans are one famous example. as i said, i've published a whole book of these pieces, and the publisher was confident that my works qualify as transformative, and there have not been any issues. so, that's not really a realistic concern. i'll think about your suggestion and certainly let you know if i make prints. 

i personally had the most fun putting in the villains, as it really adds another level of interest to the piece for us comic fans. it's almost like doc ock and loki snuck in the back while the photographer was getting ready. 

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

I love the piece, it has a subtle humor to it :)

14 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

I love the piece, it has a subtle humor to it :)

Agreed.  In some ways it's hilarious.  It brings a person to consider the first group, and the men  in the suits and ties.  Regular guys ?  Ambitious business men at the dawn of photography ? 

2 hours ago, Senormac said:

Agreed.  In some ways it's hilarious.  It brings a person to consider the first group, and the men  in the suits and ties.  Regular guys ?  Ambitious business men at the dawn of photography ? 

It certainly is original. I think its cool.:applause:

On 10/1/2017 at 11:34 AM, Marwood & I said:

Where do I collect my winners prize @Senormac:grin:

sp.thumb.jpg.13914b08d90a6ef534e29a1fa9e82a8b.jpg

The enlarged head may symbolize Parker’s greatest power- his intelligence, while the webbing curls similar to a double helix which may be a nod to the changes in Parker’s DNA. The distorted eyes express both anger and despair, both common themes in the character’s life. 

Overall a masterful piece which rivals the Mona Lisa.

6 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

The enlarged head may symbolize Parker’s greatest power- his intelligence, while the webbing curls similar to a double helix which may be a nod to the changes in Parker’s DNA. The distorted eyes express both anger and despair, both common themes in the character’s life. 

Overall a masterful piece which rivals the Mona Lisa.

Thank you Carl. It's always humbling to have ones efforts acknowledged. My intention was to invoke Spider-Mans adhesive abilities by channelling a Lowryesque 'stick' body and, in doing so, provide commentary to the viewer on the general fragility of human existence.

1 hour ago, B2D327 said:

Dipping my feet in the digital "POOL" so to speak. I did the pencils the traditional way, uploaded the pic to my phone and inked and colored it with an app called Paper One. It was fun, especially the coloring, but I still prefer the old school methods.

1508950627265-1.png

,Pretty cool though.(thumbsu

This piece means a lot to me ... In the days when my brother and I lived in Ottawa, we decided to pay homage to our shared loved of comics.  We were both in our twenties, and the days of collecting in our teens was beginning to fade as other priorities in life began to take over.  We wanted to do something which brought back the memories of our collecting days in Midland and, at the same time, acknowledge the LCS's which continued to supply the passion that many in the late 70's-early 80's had in our nations capital.  One such store was called The Collector's Stop.  It had survived numerous physical moves throughout the city, eventually making its way out to the west end, but sadly closing.  We had decided to create a piece of art for this store.  We started, but never finished.  After inking all the characters, our plan was to cut out the classic covers that showed up in Overstreet Price Guides, and place them around the characters (if you look close, you may see the pencil outlines of the rectangles around the characters).  The piece is below, unfinished to this day.  I lost my brother to cancer 6 months ago, and I have it in my cave right now. 

20171026_170150_resized.jpg

20171026_170104_resized.jpg

Not too long ago, I wanted to show my son I still had some artistic talent as he was becoming interested in silver and bronze age books ... I'm pretty certain he liked the piece below, my homage to various pre-83 JIM covers ...

20171026_170921_resized.jpg

Edited by BuscemasAvengers