• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Shares Down Another 7% Tonite!

26 posts in this topic

Yes, because to rectify this slide, they will again engage in knee-jerk, p!ss-poor random decisions that will further alienate the small seller.

The problem with eBay is that they have totally forgotten what made them what they are. Ford may make very different family cars than they did in 1910, but they still make family cars.

eBay was founded on, and built its success on, the small seller.

And now they don't want them.

Their demise is inevitable, as they are dispensing with their uniqueness and becoming like any other online store...without any of the protection the likes of Amazon gives their customers.

It is the way things go these days.Thee Upper Deck company built there yugioh gaming card line throught the sports/gaming stores.It became a multi billion dollar a year business.As soon as it was sucessful our allocation stated to shrink.It went from 5 cases to one if you were lucky.Greed killed yugioh.And im sure Ebay will follow the same road.

I think you guys are way too quick to write off Ebay.

If you read through the article, Ebay's stock price fell because analysts were expecting greater growth in revenue and profit. But revenue and profit still increased quite a bit over last year. They just didn't meet expectations.

Personally, I haven't noticed books getting cheaper. If anything, it seems like opening prices have risen (probably because fees have risen). But I still find that I can get a decent deal on an early SA book every other day if I want to spend the time and money.

Also, volume of books seems to be as high as it was a year or two ago.

And I haven't seen any evidence of the new feedback system causing problems. As a buyer, I put more stock in the feedback now, because I know buyers are free to speak their minds. What I find is that most buyers are pretty darned happy with the products they buy.

I think you guys are way too quick to write off Ebay.

If you read through the article, Ebay's stock price fell because analysts were expecting greater growth in revenue and profit. But revenue and profit still increased quite a bit over last year. They just didn't meet expectations.

Personally, I haven't noticed books getting cheaper. If anything, it seems like opening prices have risen (probably because fees have risen). But I still find that I can get a decent deal on an early SA book every other day if I want to spend the time and money.

Also, volume of books seems to be as high as it was a year or two ago.

And I haven't seen any evidence of the new feedback system causing problems. As a buyer, I put more stock in the feedback now, because I know buyers are free to speak their minds. What I find is that most buyers are pretty darned happy with the products they buy.

(thumbs u

eBay not only met, but exceeded expectations in some areas and were pinged due to soft guidance.

"The San Jose, Calif.-based company actually beat Wall Street profit estimates by two cents a share when it posted second-quarter earnings of 43 cents late Wednesday. It earned 34 cents a share in the year-ago quarter. The company had projected earnings of 39 to 41 cents."

"For the quarter, revenue rose 20% to $2.2 billion, edging past the Thomson-Reuters average analyst estimate of $2.17 billion. The company was expecting revenue of $2.10 billion to $2.15 billion."

http://www.smartmoney.com/one-day-wonder/index.cfm?story=20080717-ebay-stock&afl=yahoo

As a comparison with the "do no evil" Google, the big G actually failed to meet per share expectations by 11 cents.

"Earnings rose 30% to $4.63 a share outside one-time items, as gains continue to cool since the end of 2006. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected $4.74.

Google barely met core revenue expectations of $3.9 billion. That excludes traffic acquisition costs, the fees it pays to other Web sites that carry its ads. A year ago, core revenue was $2.72 billion. Total revenue rose 39% to $5.37 billion."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080717/feature.html?.v=1

You also need to consider the properties eBay owns. It's not just eBay. Here is sample of their properties: Half.com | Kijiji | MicroPlace | PayPal | ProStores | Rent.com | Shopping.com | Skype | StubHub | StumbleUpon

Personally, I hope eBay does re-think their fee strategy with the little guy in mind as I have yet to see a viable alternative to the 'bay for unloading funny books.

Yes, because to rectify this slide, they will again engage in knee-jerk, p!ss-poor random decisions that will further alienate the small seller.

The problem with eBay is that they have totally forgotten what made them what they are. Ford may make very different family cars than they did in 1910, but they still make family cars.

eBay was founded on, and built its success on, the small seller.

And now they don't want them.

Their demise is inevitable, as they are dispensing with their uniqueness and becoming like any other online store...without any of the protection the likes of Amazon gives their customers.

I apologize. I gave you the wrong impression. I was being sarcastic for a change. I think eBay needs to learn its lessons. And you are right that they will make more stupid decisions. "It's always darkest before the dawn". Either they will implode eventually from all this or they may figure out where their roots have been all this time.