• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creig Flessel - 1912-2008

65 posts in this topic

I received a telephone call today from Creig Flessel's son, Peter. Creig Flessel passed away last night. Peter asked me to pass along the news to Creig's many fans.

Anyone who collects Golden Age comics knows who Creig Flessel was and what his artwork meant to the hobby. For some of those who are not Golden Age collectors, Creig Flessel was one of the original pioneers of the fledgling comic book industry. He was right there when DC Comics was in its infancy and created some of the greatest artwork (covers and interiors alike) that this hobby has ever seen. Adventure Comics #40, Detective Comics #2-19 (including Detective Comics #18, my favorite single piece of comic art of all time), and many other comics from that era show what an incredible, groundbreaking artist he was - in my view, the greatest artist of the Golden Age in terms of sheer artistic talent. Although he left the comics field around 1940 to work in advertising (he had to support a family and advertising paid better at the time), his artwork has endured throughout the years as a high point in comic book history.

I was lucky enough to get to know Creig personally over the last few years (thanks to Kris Moore for inviting me to visit him in early 2007), and was able to spend time with him, Marie (his wife of 70+ years), and his son Peter, every couple of months since then. He was drawing and painting every day right up to the end, and his artwork at age 96 was as good as it was when he was 26. I believe (although I am not certain) that he was the world's oldest living cartoonist when he passed away.

I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to spend so much time with a man who I admired and respected so much. Creig was a genuinely kind person who always had time for a fan to visit and talk about comics. He lived a long and full life - one that most people can only dream of having.

Creig, you will be missed. Thanks for everything.

Very well said. Fantastic person, fantastic artist. I know that when I went to his apartment with you guys we were all marveling at all of his other art throughout the place. We're comic people and thus very interested in all kinds of visual art. We all had a great time and he was so patient with us.

The one second I managed to get away from my booth at Wondercon in February (to see ten minutes of the Fables panel w/Willingham) was when he came by the booth! Aghh.

Was he due to go to San Diego next week for the award?

A sad day in the comic collecting world. :(

One of my favorite all-time artists!!!! He added so much to the hobby in the early days, and though I never knew him, I always felt I did thru his incredible renderings, and I too just loved that Tec #18 cover especially.

Heartfelt condolences to his family at this difficult time!!!!