• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creig Flessel - 1912-2008

65 posts in this topic

Interesting. With one exception, the most recent work in the GCD is from 1937.

Not sure what you mean. There are several covers/stories in GCD from 1938-1940 that are credited to Flessel.

Thank you for posting the photos Scott. Mr. Flessel's art, whatever the era, seems to radiate a joyous view of life. It leaves the impression he was having a wonderful time every step of the way.

Reading an online bio, Shining Knight seems like the type of character Mr. Flessel would create. He must've got a kick out of seeing his creation live on with Shining Knight's roll in the Justice League Unlimited animated series and toy line.

...thoughts and prayers for his family.

7soldrs.jpg

Scott...man what an amazing place to be at.

It is so rare to have someone at the end of their years to be as sharp and lucid as they were in their heyday!

Thanks for sharing those pics and if there is anything else you can share please do...as long as they do not include pics or you in Speedos.

:wishluck:

8 am - playing with my 1 year old son -he owns some great Flessel pre-hero Tecs

George, you're ok in my books.

Even if you gave me a hard time for being a communist in Chicago.

Even though you collect DC comics I will bow down and call you brother...for the sake of the hobby!

You don't know how much it means to me that you actually enjoy the MM #1

That book has been waiting for you for almost 3 years.

:banana:

So when are you coming to Toronto?

It is sad to hear of his passing after living quite a full life. I hope some people were able to visit the recently ended exhibition of his work at the Cartoon Art Museum in SF.

This is a cool piece that seems to aptly describe him, titled "Artist and Muse", courtesy of Malcolm Bourne, comicartfans.com.

62399.jpg.7340516882bfff2826d5a095f3b5028a.jpg

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. It's obvious looking at this art that his mind was still full of imagination and that his skills had never faltered. What an amazing human being!

thanks to scott, i had the pleasure of meeting mr. flessel.

i just got back into comics a few years ago, and i am continually amazed at how different it is now than what i remember (i was a kid though). everything from grading to restoration to the detective work of some of you who've caught thieves on ebay, but nothing ever amazed me more than traveling up north to san francisco to meet mr. craig flessel. at the time, i had recently purchased detective comics #6 (i collect detective comics), which incidentally had a cover drawn by craig flessel. i didn't know who he was when i bought the book, but after doing research, i felt that his detective covers were among the best, especially issues #11 &18. when we arrived at craig's home, i was surprised at how much he remembered, and amazed at how great his art still was. until my death i will always own my cgc ss copy of 'tec #6 that craig signed for me; forever a remembrance of the hour and some change that i spent with one of the original comic book artists. it's a memory i won't forget.

I was just reading the CBM issue dedicated to Mr. Flessel the other night. What a great artist, and what a nice man. May he rest in peace. :(

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Flessel with Scott. It was one of the highest points in my collecting career. Like meeting Babe Ruth. I am devastated by the fact that this is the third time I have had to say this about one of my favorite artists in the last few months. He was a gentleman and a legend. He will be missed. Farewell Mr Flessel.

-CW

A sad day for the Flessel family and friends, and for comic and art fans too. My condolences to all who knew him.

It's a testament to his amiable personality and wonderful talent that a comic board full of people 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, and even 1/5 his age can express their appreciation for his talent and appreciate comic covers he drew 60 to 70 years ago, and relate stories to meeting an amazingly cognizant 94-year-old guy.

Thanks to Scott and all the others who posted the great stories of going to meet this amazing man and sharing them with all of us, so that we could feel like had met him too.