• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX vs. CGC, Compare my crossovers.

8 posts in this topic

Over the years I've picked up a few of the PGX holders with comics I needed to finish off series or fill in a hole that I just couldn't find raw or in a CGC slab. I had a couple of Headline Comics I needed graded so I broke out the comics from the PGX holders and sent them along. Here are the results. Showcase #21 PGX 5.5 OW/W is now a CGC 4.5 C/OW, Showcase #25 PGX 7.0 OW is now a CGC 8.0 OW, Rip Hunter #28 PGX 7.0 W is now a CGC 7.0 OW/W, and Star Trek #3 (back cover variant) PGX 7.5 OW is now a CGC 6.0 W. This is about what I was thinking they'd come back as. The only real shocker I guess would be the Showcase 25 coming back a grade higher. I'm thinking this happened because the cover on the book looked really great and I think CGC grades a bit higher for great looking covers even though the inside may be a bit weak. This is somewhat confirmed to me by the fact the Star Trek 3 had a great looking inside but the cover was somewhat scuffy and got knocked down a point and a half. As a little side note I also sent in a few raw books and here are the results from them. Headline Comics #14- Vintage Collectables Auctions NM 9.4 is now a CGC 8.5 OW/W, and Headline Comics #12- Heritage Auctions VF 8.0 is now a CGC 7.5 OW/W. Once again about what I was expecting. What are your conclusions from the above?

It appears that from these examples you got six books graded by CGC.

The only logical conclusion is that CGC got about $200, assuming you used the economy tier.

I did this with one issue so far graded... Spiderman 6 graded 4.0 by PGX, sent it to CGC and it came back a 5.0. I think the reason on this one was that it had white pages and CGC seems to take this into account more when grading.As for your submissions, no surprise as grading is subjective by both of them.

Over the years I've picked up a few of the PGX holders with comics I needed to finish off series or fill in a hole that I just couldn't find raw or in a CGC slab. I had a couple of Headline Comics I needed graded so I broke out the comics from the PGX holders and sent them along. Here are the results. Showcase #21 PGX 5.5 OW/W is now a CGC 4.5 C/OW, Showcase #25 PGX 7.0 OW is now a CGC 8.0 OW, Rip Hunter #28 PGX 7.0 W is now a CGC 7.0 OW/W, and Star Trek #3 (back cover variant) PGX 7.5 OW is now a CGC 6.0 W. This is about what I was thinking they'd come back as. The only real shocker I guess would be the Showcase 25 coming back a grade higher. I'm thinking this happened because the cover on the book looked really great and I think CGC grades a bit higher for great looking covers even though the inside may be a bit weak. This is somewhat confirmed to me by the fact the Star Trek 3 had a great looking inside but the cover was somewhat scuffy and got knocked down a point and a half. As a little side note I also sent in a few raw books and here are the results from them. Headline Comics #14- Vintage Collectables Auctions NM 9.4 is now a CGC 8.5 OW/W, and Headline Comics #12- Heritage Auctions VF 8.0 is now a CGC 7.5 OW/W. Once again about what I was expecting. What are your conclusions from the above?

Your experience would appear to confirm that people are rightly concerned about buying from PGX because they suspect overgrading. They are also leery of buying raw books from most dealers for the same reason. I've had no dealings with Vintage Collectibles, so this may well not apply to them, but in general with dealers: Grade they claim when selling > CGC grade > Grade they claim when buying