• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Wanna get Married!
19 19

1,091 posts in this topic

Just now, AnkurJ said:

Bought an Action 4 missing a few superman pages on ebay for about $500 back in 1999/2000. Bought a couple of coverless copies since then but never did anything with them. 

At NYCC I gave them to Matt Nelson who married them for me. Here was the result from CGC:

action4.jpg

Awesome!  And answers my question about label color for married inside pages.

I love trying to piece a book together, it actually makes the difficult exponentially more difficult.

1 hour ago, path4play said:

Awesome!  And answers my question about label color for married inside pages.

I love trying to piece a book together, it actually makes the difficult exponentially more difficult.

It's fun but requires a lot of patience. I have a bunch of parts that I may never find a match for. During my college years it was the only way I could afford certain books.

Back in the mid-90s I bought a Superman 11 missing a centerfold.  Then I bought a coverless copy to marry to it.  The staple holes do not line up, so I never did anything with them.  What does it cost to have a book sent off and married?  And how much does a married designation lower the value?

7 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Back in the mid-90s I bought a Superman 11 missing a centerfold.  Then I bought a coverless copy to marry to it.  The staple holes do not line up, so I never did anything with them.  What does it cost to have a book sent off and married?  And how much does a married designation lower the value?

When you marry a book you should never get a lower grade then what it would be if it was not married 5he only differnce is it will become a qualified grade instead of universal

6 minutes ago, Aliens said:

When you marry a book you should never get a lower grade then what it would be if it was not married 5he only differnce is it will become a qualified grade instead of universal

The coverless copy is about the same or better than the one missing the centerfold, and it has all the pages.  How much does a Conserved grade lower value on a book?  Does anyone know?  It's probably not as much as a Restored grade...but I just don't know how collectors view conserved books...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The coverless copy is about the same or better than the one missing the centerfold, and it has all the pages.  How much does a Conserved grade lower value on a book?  Does anyone know?  It's probably not as much as a Restored grade...but I just don't know how collectors view conserved books...

personally i hate conservation as much as restoration i try to always stay away from books that have any work to them which is not original though i know many people who dont mind it as much so i guess its really up to the person, i have no problem with married books though in my mind if its original from that same issue then its fine, sure lets say a cover that is married was not printed for that book particularly but it was still printed for the same issue in the same year and month and who knows maybe that married covers original copy was printed alongside and sold alongside your coverless copy, who knows.

in my mind though if i were to choose book labels here are from what i most like to what i dont like so much

1.Universal grade

2.Qualified grade

3.Conserved grade

4.Restored grade

just my opinion... 

3 minutes ago, Aliens said:

personally i hate conservation as much as restoration i try to always stay away from books that have any work to them which is not original though i know many people who dont mind it as much so i guess its really up to the person, i have no problem with married books though in my mind if its original from that same issue then its fine, sure lets say a cover that is married was not printed for that book particularly but it was still printed for the same issue in the same year and month and who knows maybe that married covers original copy was printed alongside and sold alongside your coverless copy, who knows.

in my mind though if i were to choose book labels here are from what i most like to what i dont like so much

1.Universal grade

2.Qualified grade

3.Conserved grade

4.Restored grade

just my opinion... 

Thanks.  But let's say you want to buy a book that guides for $1000 universal.  What would you expect to pay for a married copy of that book in that grade?  same price?  10% less, 20% less?, 30% less?  What?  That's the answer I'm looking for...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

37 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Thanks.  But let's say you want to buy a book that guides for $1000 universal.  What would you expect to pay for a married copy of that book in that grade?  same price?  10% less, 20% less?, 30% less?  What?  That's the answer I'm looking for...

i mean i guess i depends on what book it is and what person is buying it, by that i mean how desirable is it 

Edited by Aliens

Couple of recent successful (off-board) marriages. 

Added complete coverless Tech 42 with the cover of a formerly incomplete w/cover and also used inside wrap of complete coverless Bats #17 to copy I found missing inside wrap.  There not beauties, but satisfying to put stuff together to make "whole."  

12292017005.jpg

12292017004.jpg

7 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Had this one for years. Don’t recall marrying it but it’s possible lol

0A7C87DE-D37F-4050-9038-59C5DFC6A695.jpeg

Did you pick it up in Las Vegas? I hear it happens there somewhat frequently.? Excellent book .

Edited by ender

On 1/16/2018 at 5:15 PM, geofan said:

Hi all...Looking to see if anyone has a coverless Hulk 1, I need a non story page to complete my copy and would appreciate any help.

It's the page that has an ad for I believe Amazing Adult Fantasy.

Thanks

i have seen a few on ebay but even coverless a hulk 1 can go for as much as $1000, though i do recall a really beat up copy missing the first two wraps and cover selling for about $300 a few years ago, best of luck on that