• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'San Diego' Pickup- Weird Science 5 Cover

38 posts in this topic

Steve, I loved it when I literally had the pick of the litter as a collector back then for the areas I loved most. The pieces you got from me were clearly top pieces themselves and it isn't like I didn't keep certain things that were special to me.

sooner or later I should probably share pics of my "Plaster of Paris" Spirit story, or my Fosters, or my 1922 Krazy Kat or the incredible hand colored by Cliff Sterrett Polly & Her Pals Sunday page from 1926. It is interesting that I kept almost no EC art even though I had some o fthe best stuff there was.

But hey, I knew the writing on the wall for the continued availablity of art collections was getting shallow & once Sotheby's, Christies and some other auction houses got involved I knew it was going to get out of hand and collections would be almost impossible to buy without selling the barn.

I also knew that Bronze age - which I had nothing in my collection and not much in my stock - was going to overtake what I loved because of the generational aspect of hobbying.

Now that Heritage is involved and fleaBay exists.. trying to buy a collection is like scaling Mount Everest. Geez, I'm not really interested in just walking uphill to get the newspaper.

So I moved over to my other hobby.. movie posters!

That's where it's at buddy.. Did you know there are only 5 Dracula 1 sheets from 1931 (and of 3 different styles) or that there are maybe 10-12 Frankenstein 1 sheets from 1931? The great classic movie posters from before 1937 are rarer than any comic book except Motion Picture Funnies and in many cases not even 1 poster is known to exist from many movies.

If someone walked up to me and said "I want a Superman #1 and I have $250,000 to spend right now" I could find him a copy in less than a week (for the appropriate condition of course). But if a guy said "I want to buy the 1931 Dracula style B poster and I have $500,000 to spend".. well the price is right.. but none of the owners is going to sell it and I may never be able to find him a copy for 20 years.

Oh, and I can tell you this.. more people are looking to buy that poster than Motion Picture Funnies.

here's what the Dracula B style looks like:

dracula_pressbook_01a.jpg

and here's a pressbook showing several posters. Most of these shown do not exist.

dracula_pressbook_02.jpg

Movie Posters.. Yeah man, they ARE cool.,.,

Still have all internal organs... I found (from what I heard) that while prices were very high on some marquee Kirby/Ditko/Adams/Barry Smith items, other things were pretty much in line to sell. I'll post the other piece I acquired from a dealer in San Diego when it comes in. And, I picked up a very cool sci fi piece from a collector as he got back from S.D. Can't wait!!! Dan

...not to mention avoiding the sweaty crush of bodies, endless mindgames, day-old 'pizza' from snack bar that you waited an hour for, let's just say less than clean toilet facilities, and of course... too much choice and tired eyes from looking at the wallpapering and imho callous and reckless display of choice art rarities. :sick:

...not to mention avoiding the sweaty crush of bodies, endless mindgames, day-old 'pizza' from snack bar that you waited an hour for, let's just say less than clean toilet facilities, and of course... too much choice and tired eyes from looking at the wallpapering and imho callous and reckless display of choice art rarities. :sick:

Best part is no hotel or airfare needed!

Hey.. that's exactly what my FS post during SDC said

lol

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2513319#Post2513319