• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'San Diego' Pickup- Weird Science 5 Cover

38 posts in this topic

I had a feeling this WS cover would go for tons; but my top number was 35k.... which also would have set a record. So, yes, I hurried to pick mine up before I was priced out of the market. Meaning I still have no idea what these are worth, but I'm sure that sellers will all be raising there prices today... Anyway, the number 4 is a really top example, but I'm happy as a clam with mine (the 5). Love the combination of Feldstein Rocket blasting off, outerspace, and Atom bomb explosion! Classic! :cloud9:

The WS # 4 cover is very good, but I'm really shocked by the (close-on) $60k hammer price (which is even higher than the much talked-about Kirby X-MEN #1 'Magneto-intro' page).

In a previous Heritage auction, two Feldstein Science-Fiction covers failed to sell . . . now four sales (that I know about) happen within a short space of time.

My guess is that the $200k sale of the Wood WEIRD SCIENCE # 16 cover has invigorated the market for EC Science-Fiction covers. Probably other New-Trend genres, too

I imagine prices are now being jacked-up on future offerings . . .

Thankfully, I've a decent set of EC covers behind me - as I very much doubt that I'll be making any new additions to the collection in the foreseeable future. :(

Terry

The WS 4 sale is a likely aberration (knowing both the winner and the underbidder). If another Feldstein cover comes up and is not an A+ example I think you may see it struggle to break the 20K level. I know of three that are out there and I am not tempted to pull the trigger due to a less than ideal image.

The WS 16 sale has certainly caused some buzz. The Wood covers that are out there are pretty much locked into collections. I would consider parting with my WS 21 but doubt I would get even half of what the WS 16 got.

S

Terry

The WS 4 sale is a likely aberration (knowing both the winner and the underbidder). If another Feldstein cover comes up and is not an A+ example I think you may see it struggle to break the 20K level. I know of three that are out there and I am not tempted to pull the trigger due to a less than ideal image.

The WS 16 sale has certainly caused some buzz. The Wood covers that are out there are pretty much locked into collections. I would consider parting with my WS 21 but doubt I would get even half of what the WS 16 got.

S

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.The WS # 4 is a very good cover, but (to my mind) is not up there with the best of the Feldstein Science-Fiction covers.You can't have had the WS # 21 cover for very long. Why would you want to consider parting with it?

3 out there! Man, you're holdin' back on me..... ;\) I only know of 2(and I bought one of them.) And, I heard the other Feldstein WF cover may have sold in S.D. for the 22k asking... Can anyone confirm??

Lloyd Braddy confirmed to me that he saw a Feldstein Science-Fiction cover sell for $22k cash.

From what was described to me, it sounded very much like the WEIRD FANTASY # 12 cover (owned by Pete Koch) that was offered via Anthony Snyder.

The cover was on Anthony's site previously, priced at $21k.

If true (and the cover's no longer on Anthony's site) the price was jacked-up to $22k for S.D.

The WF # 12 cover is fine, but I can think of stronger cover images (your own WS # 5, for example, which I like a lot more than the record-price WS # 4).

Thanks for the Kudos Terry! I had contacted Anthony/Pete about the WF cover before SD and the price was 21k and 22k depending on who I talked to... so I think the small ding was already in there somewhere. I too liked the WS5 much more so pulled the trigger on that one instead!.... and.... won't be pulling anymore triggers on them if they are going to be offered anywhere near 60k.

Thanks for the Kudos Terry! I had contacted Anthony/Pete about the WF cover before SD and the price was 21k and 22k depending on who I talked to... so I think the small ding was already in there somewhere. I too liked the WS5 much more so pulled the trigger on that one instead!.... and.... won't be pulling anymore triggers on them if they are going to be offered anywhere near 60k.

Well, I'm hoping that Steve's belief - that the high price paid for the WS# 4 is an aberration - is true.

The only problem is . . . anyone holding comparable examples is now going to think that they can get top dollar for their covers . . . and top dollar is what they'll ask.

For what it's worth, I know of a few individuals (owning EC covers) who have now had a re-think about prices they were planning to sell at (as a direct result of the high-end prices of the $200k Wood and $60k Feldstein WS covers) . . .

Only time will tell (and the next Heritage auction of this type of material).

From what I can gather, you have one new entrant with a big wallet who is cherry picking and Jim H. who continues to want to own any cover that is new to market. What happens to prices on particular pieces that the two of them don't want...? I suspect they settle back into a slow and steady upward trending market. That goes for Wood, Feldstein, Ingels, etc. But, as you say, time will tell. DF

I was in Liverpool (UK) this afternoon, shopping with my family. As my wife and daughter headed for the clothes shop, I headed for THE FORBIDDEN PLANET bookstore. They carried all of the new EC ARCHIVES books (so much for EC fading from memory, and these books having a limited audience, eh?).

From what I gather, WEIRD SCIENCE is currently three-quarters of the way to being completed - with three volumes in print (and appears to be the most popular title of the current series of reprints).

As each of these volumes carries six issues per book, they can only feature one representative cover example per volume. Needless to say, Russ Cochran chooses the strongest of cover examples to front these books.

Here's the first volume's cover:

j8lg1u.jpg

Thanks for posting the EC archives. I really want to get that. I have seen both of those covers up close and they are really amazing. I don't know about the prices but I wish I could afford them. primo westform.