• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many copies of Detective Comics #38 are estimated to still exist?

69 posts in this topic

I don't have a gerber scarcity index and I don't know any other way to look it up. I know there can only be estimates but how many copies are thought to still exist?

Thanks

Edited by comic$relief

agreed...the book is generally readily available, but a super important issue none the less...

I agree as well, but it's kind of funny though... there are so many pre-Robin collectors here that I bet we've seen more copies of most Batman covers below 38 than we have of 38 itself. And this kind of thread typically brings people's copies out to show, too. Who's got one? Let's see 'em.

Here is some CGC census info on the early Batman Tecs (copies 6.0 or higher only for unrestored):

Detective Comics #27 - 39 copies graded: 18 unrestored, 21 restored (6 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #28 - 14 copies graded: 5 unrestored, 9 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #29 - 26 copies graded: 12 unrestored, 14 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #30 - 20 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 10 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #31 - 39 copies graded: 21 unrestored, 18 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #32 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 1 qualified, 5 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #33 - 44 copies graded: 20 unrestored, 24 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #34 - 29 copies graded: 16 unrestored, 13 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #35 - 23 copies graded: 9 unrestored, 2 qualified, 12 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #36 - 29 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 19 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #37 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 6 restored (5 in 6.0 or

better)

Detective Comics #38 - 51 copies graded: 26 unrestored, 25 restored (8 in 6.0 or better)

Its been so hard finding an accurate estimate as to how many copies. If its a gerber 5 then its 200-1000, but people are making it seem way more common then that. I totally agree that its more common then alot of pre-robin detectives, but how much of a difference can there be? The reason there are more CGC copies should be because of how key and iconic it is. Just like there are more copies of Detective #27 then alot of the others. Not because its more common but because of the desire to have it graded due to its iconic status. I'd imagine the reason you see more Detective 38's for sale is because of the demand for 1st appearences, not because its that much more rare. Alot of people only want the pre-robin and i understand why.

One guy told me there are thousands of Det. 38's that has to be exagerated right? What are your best guesses as far as how many copies there are period... in the 500 range?

Its been so hard finding an accurate estimate as to how many copies. If its a gerber 5 then its 200-1000, but people are making it seem way more common then that. I totally agree that its more common then alot of pre-robin detectives, but how much of a difference can there be? The reason there are more CGC copies should be because of how key and iconic it is. Just like there are more copies of Detective #27 then alot of the others. Not because its more common but because of the desire to have it graded due to its iconic status. I'd imagine the reason you see more Detective 38's for sale is because of the demand for 1st appearences, not because its that much more rare. Alot of people only want the pre-robin and i understand why.

One guy told me there are thousands of Det. 38's that has to be exagerated right? What are your best guesses as far as how many copies there are period... in the 500 range?

i think it's between 200-250 max. the book came out in 1940, the wartime paper drives consumed most of the comic books of that era.

i think it's between 200-250 max. the book came out in 1940, the wartime paper drives consumed most of the comic books of that era.

I suspect there are many many hundreds of copies... this was the first sidekick book and kids picked it up, and held onto much longer, than pre robin issues... I have personally seen close to 3 figures myself, so I suspect there are 5-10x that amount out there...of course, we likely will never know!

:censored:

I double your :censored: :censored:

I'll raise you a :censored: :censored: :censored: and add a meh

that's not fair you used a meh when we were only using a :censored: cheater :frustrated:

if you can't stand the heat, grab a beer!

:censored:

I double your :censored: :censored:

I'll raise you a :censored: :censored: :censored: and add a meh

that's not fair you used a meh when we were only using a :censored: cheater :frustrated:

if you can't stand the heat, grab a beer!

Done!

and now time for another (thumbs u