• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many copies of Detective Comics #38 are estimated to still exist?

69 posts in this topic

Many reputable dealers can sell books unslabbed and get good money for them so there is no reason to slab for them.

Many collectors crack their slabs and put their books into Mylars.

:acclaim:

I wonder how many labels actually get sent back after the slabs are cracked.

hm

Its been a mixed feeling about slabbing, but recently I have seen the pro surpassing the con. Example, I tried selling a book a while back on ebay with a reserve, unslabbed, and it did not sell. When I slabbed it,and tried re-selling it the reserve met in just 2 days. People are trusting CGC for the first and most important fact-- restoration. Anyone on ebay can say, the book is unrestored. I am not saying CGC is perfect, but its better than some joe telling anyone, the book is unrestored (when in fact he/or she is unsure themselves).

I even bought a GA book from a dealer once with a guarantee there was no restoration, when I slabbed it it came back (not too long ago) purple with a note of glue on the back middle of the spine. I did not even see it after checking it cover to cover. And I dont miss alot , but Im not perfect with detecting either. It could happen to anyone.

Its been a mixed feeling about slabbing, but recently I have seen the pro surpassing the con. Example, I tried selling a book a while back on ebay with a reserve, unslabbed, and it did not sell. When I slabbed it,and tried re-selling it the reserve met in just 2 days. People are trusting CGC for the first and most important fact-- restoration. Anyone on ebay can say, the book is unrestored. I am not saying CGC is perfect, but its better than some joe telling anyone, the book is unrestored (when in fact he/or she is unsure themselves).

I even bought a GA book from a dealer once with a guarantee there was no restoration, when I slabbed it it came back (not too long ago) purple with a note of glue on the back middle of the spine. I did not even see it after checking it cover to cover. And I dont miss alot , but Im not perfect with detecting either. It could happen to anyone.

True, and not true. People do indeed trust CGC books, people also trust joe shmoe if they have dealt with him before. CGC does indeed offer better restoration detection then the average dealer, and people trust the 3rd party grading much more then mr.shmoe.

If you are reputable , with a good return policy moving books is fairly easy. On the other side is people are willing to pay multiples of guide for higher number blue labels. The dealer you bought the book from should have offered you a partial refund or taken the book back. If he offered to let you keep the book and gave you back even 40% that would have been a happy ending.

I dont like slabs in my collection, unless it is something I plan to never read anyways. Books to be sold are better off being slabbed IMO (provided they are good candidates) because the premium becomes much higher. And more money is very appealing.

On 7/31/2008 at 9:40 AM, kimik said:

Here is some CGC census info on the early Batman Tecs (copies 6.0 or higher only for unrestored):

Detective Comics #38 - 51 copies graded: 26 unrestored, 25 restored (8 in 6.0 or better)

Well, looks like the population count has pretty much doubled on this book in the past 9 years.

The CGC census population now indicates a total of 112 copies of this book:  58 unrestored and 54 restored (with 12 copies now in unrestored 6.0 or better).

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like the population count has pretty much doubled on this book in the past 9 years.

The CGC census population now indicates a total of 112 copies of this book:  58 unrestored and 54 restored (with 12 copies now in unrestored 6.0 or better).

Interesting......think I'll look into the pre Robin Tecs and Bats 1 and do the same comparison   Thanks

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

One piece of missing info is how many are resubs that did not include the old label so they could be removed from the census. 

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:
18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

One piece of missing info is how many are resubs that did not include the old label so they could be removed from the census. 

Right.  On books like this, I think using the census as a population count is particularly iffy.  I wish the other guys would finally get around to doing a census.  They've been promising it forever.