• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Romance Revealed Golden Age Romance Thread

76 posts in this topic

I looked back on the history and didn't see a GA romance thread. So, I figured I'd try and start this one. :foryou:

I put a question out there in the rare comics thread and was curious what all you GA romance gurus thought were the rarest romance comics?

I know Teen Age Diary Secrets 7 and also Daring Love 1 rank up there. But, what others would you consider? And, if you own any please post covers.

Adventures02-Spectacular.jpg

It took me a number of years to find this one from St. John...

It has "China Bombshell" by Leonard Starr, a story by Bolle, and "Slave Girl" by Warren King...

Adventures 02 (1950)... Listed as "scarce" by Overstreet...

I looked back on the history and didn't see a GA romance thread.

There's this one link

:devil:

Adventures02-Spectacular.jpg

It took me a number of years to find this one from St. John...

It has "China Bombshell" by Leonard Starr, a story by Bolle, and "Slave Girl" by Warren King...

Adventures 02 (1950)... Listed as "scarce" by Overstreet...

I have this one in a Giant Comic Edition I have. It is a really nice one. Metro also has one for sale at a good price 4.5 for $89. So, someone should grab it.

>> ". . . . I know Daring Love 1 rank up there."

My personal favorite:

img036.jpg

I don't have any Cowgirl Romance comics but they have some really great covers. Did you notice Comiclink has a couple coming up for auction? You've got a great copy there.

I haven't checked the census but I imagine that the three St. John giants 9, 12 and

15 are difficult to find. Blue Ribbon 4 and 5 are listed as uncommon and scarce in

the Gerber guide. I think that Personal Love 32 is often ignored but the interior has a terrific Frazetta story.

2318225263_4971527f70_b.jpg

It may be a little hard to find compared to some of the Baker cover issues.

Love Scandals 1 and many of the Fox romance comics are on the uncommon list.

2738702230_b1b6ba9501_b.jpg

1802130036_0c254e5398_b.jpg

True-to-Life Romance 1 and 4 are on the scarce list.

2625572573_b5dffe73fc_b.jpg

And EC romance is pretty good and very collectible but not rare.

2313982224_085c7c1899_b.jpg

Here are a number of books that I still haven't been able to find copies of (and I've been looking for several years, so I guess they are hard to find):

[Ace] All Romances (5)

[Ajax] Bride's Diary (10)

[Ajax] Bride's Secrets (5,6)

[Comic Media] All True Romance (9,16)

[Comic Media] Confessions of Love (2)

[Comic Media] Dear Lonely Heart (8)

[Comic Media] Dear Lonely Hearts (4)

[Fox] My Life (14)

[Fox] My Love Memoirs (12)

[PM] True Love Confessions (3,9)

[Trojan/Ribage] Romantic Hearts (7,12)

[Trojan/Ribage] Youthful Romances (9)

[Youthful] Youthful Romances (13)

[Ziff-Davis] Romantic Marriage (14)

Junior is more lust than romance but it is wanted by gga collectors. Fox titles are a little complicated in their numbering system sometimes but they are worth collecting as individuals or as giants. Throbbing Love is listed as scarce but there are several other giants that have better covers (but not a better title).

2738702486_3eb62844a8_b.jpg

2738702022_e67ba23668_b.jpg

These two were a little beat up and are restored with Photoshop. Junior is a Gerber 5 but is probably stuck in collections and less available.

bb

Here are a number of books that I still haven't been able to find copies of (and I've been looking for several years, so I guess they are hard to find):

[Ace] All Romances (5)

[Ajax] Bride's Diary (10)

[Ajax] Bride's Secrets (5,6)

[Comic Media] All True Romance (9,16)

[Comic Media] Confessions of Love (2)

[Comic Media] Dear Lonely Heart (8)

[Comic Media] Dear Lonely Hearts (4)

[Fox] My Life (14)

[Fox] My Love Memoirs (12)

[PM] True Love Confessions (3,9)

[Trojan/Ribage] Romantic Hearts (7,12)

[Trojan/Ribage] Youthful Romances (9)

[Youthful] Youthful Romances (13)

[Ziff-Davis] Romantic Marriage (14)

I rarely see any of the Comic Media romance that's for sure.

Surprisingly, my tough nut is a copy of Ace's Love Experiences # 11. I've been looking for 7 years and I still don't have a copy :mad:

Bride's Secrets 5 has a story, "Breaking Hearts Was My Game", reprinted from Dear Lonely Heart 6 and the art looks like Kamen or Webb. Title of the reprinted story was originally "I was a Theif of Hearts".

2738341815_5f09fefbd8_b.jpg

Dear Lonely heart 2 is considered uncommon (Gerber 6) and it has the "Good Looker" story.

2739181326_3931e59f06_b.jpg

Confessions of Love 14 is a Gerber 6 too.

2738342403_0c5e0a0cb9_b.jpg

And My Confession 9 is also a G-6 and the Fox titles have such great covers (but the color bleeds through).

2739181856_16a588e0e5_b.jpg

Uncommon enough that they're not in Gerber or GCD.

Can you confirm that those are Bride's Secrets 5 and Dear Lonely heart 2, and if so can I upload them to GCD?

Thanks,

Jack

Bride's Secrets 5 has a story, "Breaking Hearts Was My Game", reprinted from Dear Lonely Heart 6 and the art looks like Kamen or Webb. Title of the reprinted story was originally "I was a Theif of Hearts".

Dear Lonely heart 2 is considered uncommon (Gerber 6) and it has the "Good Looker" story.

Can you confirm that those are Bride's Secrets 5 and Dear Lonely heart 2, and if so can I upload them to GCD?

Thanks,

Jack

Bride's Secrets 5 has a story, "Breaking Hearts Was My Game", reprinted from Dear Lonely Heart 6 and the art looks like Kamen or Webb. Title of the reprinted story was originally "I was a Thief of Hearts".

Jack,

Those are the correct numbers from the indicia.

bb

This is a hard to find St. John but I don't know how rare it is..

APATLS.jpg

That is a Gerber 6 according the guide. It is a very nice Baker cover. I think it probably is stuck in collections and not seen very often. Maybe there will be another warehouse find. If you made a copy of the cover and stuffed 3 or 4 coverless copies inside you could make another one.

I lived just off 202 in PA for 20 years but they probably have a 202 in every state. I think they have one in NY and NJ too.

bb

Those are the correct numbers from the indicia.

bb

Thanks! Uploaded.

You certainly have some scarce romance books.

Jack