• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First SA Appearance of Captain America?

69 posts in this topic

ST 114 features a sort of Captain America "tryout." This guy named "The Acrobat" dresses up like Cap in the story.

The actual Steve Rogers/Captain America character doesn't actually (re)appear until Avengers #4. Hence, Avengers #4 is his true first SA appearance and CBG is just being silly again.

CBG should know better. It's clearly noted in OS... and I think any semi serious fan of the SA knows this fact.

p.s. to all who read my post earlier, i'm a 893censored-thumb.gif insufficiently_thoughtful_person for spelling "know", "no"

Edited by Foolkiller

If 114 doesn't count because it is not the real Captain America(Steve Rogers),would you then say that all the Caps from the late 40s-early 50s don't count as that Cap proved to be a phony also? I've never been satisfied with the explanation Marvel gave for how a character who "died" in spring of 45 has a continuity until the early 50s. I'm a huge Silver Age Cap fan and a big Schomburg fan but have not read a great deal of his post war stories. I'm not sure what you should call ST114,but it should be a must have for every Cap fan. That sounds Key to me.

I'm not sure what you should call ST114,but it should be a must have for every Cap fan. That sounds Key to me.

I agree, and have always though of STT #114 as the first SA cap. Sure, Avengers #4 has the re-awakening origin type stuff and is the first SA Steve Rogers. But STT #114 has a Captain America appearance (who cares about his alter ego tongue.gif) and he is on the cover to boot. A great issue.

As a lifelong Cap fan... it does matter that it's the Steve Rogers Cap as opposed to the others. Avengers 4 is the first appearance of the Cap who has continued on into today's continuity, thus why I mark it as the first SA appearance of Cap. The guy in the costume in ST 114 isn't the same character that continued on today...

I do love the cover though.

Can you have a 'prototype issue' with a prototype of a hero or villain whose first appearance actually occured 20+ years earlier? I think not... blush.gif

Only as much as you can have a "1st SA Cap appearance" and make it mean anything if it is the same char! I mean, look at Flash or Human Torch for GA/SA comparisons of "new" chars based on GA. (man - I am really stretching my memory back 15 or so years so if my refs to Flash or Torch are off, please treat me gently).

As a lifelong Cap fan... it does matter that it's the Steve Rogers Cap as opposed to the others. Avengers 4 is the first appearance of the Cap who has continued on into today's continuity, thus why I mark it as the first SA appearance of Cap. The guy in the costume in ST 114 isn't the same character that continued on today...

I do love the cover though.

But what happens next time the Government gets pissed at Steve and puts some new Cap into the uniform. Will the first SA apperence of Steve Rogers still be so key?

I completely agree with you that Avengers 4 is the key book but feel no collection is compete without the 114.

Call it a prototype, call it a tease, I'll call it a key. thumbsup2.gif

Avengers 4 is the first in SA. Just like Showcase is the first Flash in SA.

Which bring me to a pet peeve. I don't think it's useful to call Showcase 34 the first appearance of "SA Atom", because the term first SA- is usually used when a GA hero makes a come-back in the SA. for example, when Captain America comes back in Avengers 4. 

For the superhero that appears in Showcase 34 (called Atom) - this is not the first in the SA, rather its the first ever. It just confuses things that there happened to be a superhero in the GA with the same name. But these should not be confused as they are two entirely and unrelated superheroes. 

As such, Showcase 34 features the first ever appearance in any age of this superhero.

9 minutes ago, Adamster said:

Avengers 4 is the first in SA. Just like Showcase is the first Flash in SA.

Which bring me to a pet peeve. I don't think it's useful to call Showcase 34 the first appearance of "SA Atom", because the term first SA- is usually used when a GA hero makes a come-back in the SA. for example, when Captain America comes back in Avengers 4. 

For the superhero that appears in Showcase 34 (called Atom) - this is not the first in the SA, rather its the first ever. It just confuses things that there happened to be a superhero in the GA with the same name. But these should not be confused as they are two entirely and unrelated superheroes. 

As such, Showcase 34 features the first ever appearance in any age of this superhero.

The SA versions tended to be more science-fiction orientated reboots of GA characters, true for Atom, Green Lantern and Hawkman.  Fresh starts, new characters.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The SA versions tended to be more science-fiction orientated reboots of GA characters, true for Atom, Green Lantern and Hawkman.  Fresh starts, new characters.

Green Lantern and Hawkman as far as a know have similar backstories at least and similar looks. 

Atom is just a completely different superhero.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The SA Atom is a reboot of the GA Atom no question.   The fact the GA Atom had no powers is irrelevant.