• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First SA Appearance of Captain America?

69 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

This place was stale before I got here :p

But we could deal with the stale smell..., now...., :eek: 

1 hour ago, chuckfin said:
12 hours ago, lizards2 said:

But we could deal with the stale smell..., now...., :eek: 

yeah you smell like the golden age. oh wait you are from the platinum age. ewwwwwww

Hey, hey, hey...., he's not that stanky!!! (tsk)

On 12/30/2020 at 2:56 PM, Adamster said:

Avengers 4 is the first in SA. Just like Showcase is the first Flash in SA.

Which bring me to a pet peeve. I don't think it's useful to call Showcase 34 the first appearance of "SA Atom", because the term first SA- is usually used when a GA hero makes a come-back in the SA. for example, when Captain America comes back in Avengers 4. 

For the superhero that appears in Showcase 34 (called Atom) - this is not the first in the SA, rather its the first ever. It just confuses things that there happened to be a superhero in the GA with the same name. But these should not be confused as they are two entirely and unrelated superheroes. 

As such, Showcase 34 features the first ever appearance in any age of this superhero.

There's a difference between "first SA appearance of ..." and "first appearance of SA ..."

Calling it the first SA Atom is the same as calling it the first Atom (Ray Palmer), to differentiate it from a previously existing character with the same name. Ray Palmer is the SA Atom and Al Pratt is the GA Atom, regardless of them not sharing a basic concept like the different Green Lanterns and Flashes.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:59 AM, Lazyboy said:

There's a difference between "first SA appearance of ..." and "first appearance of SA ..."

Calling it the first SA Atom is the same as calling it the first Atom (Ray Palmer), to differentiate it from a previously existing character with the same name. Ray Palmer is the SA Atom and Al Pratt is the GA Atom, regardless of them not sharing a basic concept like the different Green Lanterns and Flashes.

I agree, but my point is that whereas the flashes are very similar and have very similar powers.... the superhero called Atom in the SA is just very different from the superhero called Atom in the GA. 

So the flashes are basically just another persona inhabiting roughly same powers, uniform etc. Not so at all with Atom.

57 minutes ago, Adamster said:

I agree, but my point is that whereas the flashes are very similar and have very similar powers.... the superhero called Atom in the SA is just very different from the superhero called Atom in the GA. 

So the flashes are basically just another persona inhabiting roughly same powers, uniform etc. Not so at all with Atom.

hey remember when they rebooted characters after like 20 years instead of today where its like every 20 minutes?

Stan does mention “Steve Rogers” in that second to last panel. He’s still stuck in the ice Johnny lol. That first big panel of Cap is the best in the whole story. Ok, despite this not being the real Steve Rogers Cap, what I’ve learned that’s key in this book is: 

1st Kirby drawn Cap since Cap 10 (Nov, 1941) (22 years ago)
1st time Kirby drew Cap apart from Joe Simon 
1st mention of Steve Rogers in the Silver Age since the Atlas issues of Young Men on the early 1950s 

It’s always been interesting that Cap’s shorts are a shade of blue but red on all the interior panels. Not sure if Goodman told Stan he wanted it this way since this was an imposter, or it was a colorist error. Cool book nonetheless. The inker was Ayers and I believe this was the only Kirby/Ayers Cap ever done in the SA. All the silver age Cap appearances that were drawn by Kirby were usually inked by Chic Stone, George Roussos, Joe Sinnott, Syd Shores, etc. 

A3DBEDB7-28FD-45B5-9CED-FAA413BD3307.jpeg

7DEE2654-1ABA-4F51-8B7C-EBD1D56657B7.jpeg

4DF959DA-CD53-450A-91EF-D2AE7F033F31.jpeg

CEC1CD37-37CC-4427-AEBD-7D543AF1A576.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Stan does mention “Steve Rogers” in that second to last panel. He’s still stuck in the ice Johnny lol. That first big panel of Cap is the best in the whole story. Ok, despite this not being the real Steve Rogers Cap, what I’ve learned that’s key in this book is: 

1st Kirby drawn Cap since Cap 10 (Nov, 1941) (22 years ago)
1st time Kirby drew Cap apart from Joe Simon 
1st mention of Steve Rogers in the Silver Age since the Atlas issues of Young Men on the early 1950s 

It’s always been interesting that Cap’s shorts are a shade of blue but red on all the interior panels. Not sure if Goodman told Stan he wanted it this way since this was an imposter, or it was a colorist error. Cool book nonetheless. The inker was Ayers and I believe this was the only Kirby/Ayers Cap ever done in the SA. All the silver age Cap appearances that were drawn by Kirby were usually inked by Chic Stone, George Roussos, Joe Sinnott, Syd Shores, etc. 

A3DBEDB7-28FD-45B5-9CED-FAA413BD3307.jpeg

7DEE2654-1ABA-4F51-8B7C-EBD1D56657B7.jpeg

4DF959DA-CD53-450A-91EF-D2AE7F033F31.jpeg

CEC1CD37-37CC-4427-AEBD-7D543AF1A576.jpeg

So steve rogers ID was secret but every kid knew it from readin the comics.
Sounds legit.

10 hours ago, Primetime said:

The inker was Ayers and I believe this was the only Kirby/Ayers Cap ever done in the SA. All the silver age Cap appearances that were drawn by Kirby were usually inked by Chic Stone, George Roussos, Joe Sinnott, Syd Shores, etc.

Other Kirby/Ayers Silver Age collaborations featuring Cap included Avengers #5, Sgt. Fury #13 and Tales of Suspense #69 and 83.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

8 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Other Kirby/Ayers Silver Age collaborations featuring Cap included Avengers #5, Sgt. Fury #13 and Tales of Suspense #69 and 83.

Correct on the TOS issues. Thanks. However, Avengers 5 is a Paul Reinmann ink job and Sgt Fury 13 is Chic Stone. 

On 12/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, Adamster said:

Green Lantern and Hawkman as far as a know have similar backstories at least and similar looks. 

Atom is just a completely different superhero.

Have you read both Hawkman's GA and SA origins? Going from reincarnated Egyptian prince to Thanagarian Alien Police Officer is a pretty big change lol

Sure they have similar looks and powers, but they definitely do NOT have similar backstories.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:56 PM, Adamster said:

Avengers 4 is the first in SA. Just like Showcase is the first Flash in SA.

Which bring me to a pet peeve. I don't think it's useful to call Showcase 34 the first appearance of "SA Atom", because the term first SA- is usually used when a GA hero makes a come-back in the SA. for example, when Captain America comes back in Avengers 4. 

For the superhero that appears in Showcase 34 (called Atom) - this is not the first in the SA, rather its the first ever. It just confuses things that there happened to be a superhero in the GA with the same name. But these should not be confused as they are two entirely and unrelated superheroes. 

As such, Showcase 34 features the first ever appearance in any age of this superhero.

"First SA appearance of ___" and "First appearance of SA ___" are two VERY different things.

The term "SA Atom" is just a way to differentiate Ray Palmer from Al Pratt or the "GA Atom." They do have the same name after all and some differentiation is needed.

CGC says on their label: Origin and 1st appearance of, the Silver Age Atom (Ray Palmer)

This is VERY different from "first SA appearance of the Atom," as that would indicate Al Pratt appearing in the SA. Instead the label says "first appearance of the SA Atom (Ray Palmer)," indicating a completely NEW and DIFFERENT character only related to the other by name. Hence the need for differentiation using the terms "SA" and "GA" alike.

Another example of characters sharing no common characteristics besides a name is Red Tornado, differentiated as the GA and SA versions.

P.S. Something even more fun is Flash No. 123 noted as "the first SA appearance of the GA flash."

Edited by HuddyBee

1 hour ago, HuddyBee said:

"First SA appearance of ___" and "First appearance of SA ___" are two VERY different things.

The term "SA Atom" is just a way to differentiate Ray Palmer from Al Pratt or the "GA Atom." They do have the same name after all and some differentiation is needed.

CGC says on their label: Origin and 1st appearance of, the Silver Age Atom (Ray Palmer)

This is VERY different from "first SA appearance of the Atom," as that would indicate Al Pratt appearing in the SA. Instead the label says "first appearance of the SA Atom (Ray Palmer)," indicating a completely NEW and DIFFERENT character only related to the other by name. Hence the need for differentiation using the terms "SA" and "GA" alike.

Another example of characters sharing no common characteristics besides a name is Red Tornado, differentiated as the GA and SA versions.

P.S. Something even more fun is Flash No. 123 noted as "the first SA appearance of the GA flash."

omg what if they had first GA appearance of SA flash!