• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to Theo Holstein?
1 1

173 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, EC Star&Bar said:

The 1976 Overstreet Guide was my first one, and despite not having looked at it in decades, I immediately recognized Holstein's ad photo (shown in this thread).  IIRC one of the books he was looking to buy was Boy Commandos #1.

That was my first guide as well. Eisner's Spirit of '76.

Who could ever forget that ad?

7 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I guess that the ad worked.  People are still talking about it almost 45 years later...

It's definitely memorable!

No idea if it translated into any great key book purchases for Ol' Theo, though.

I vaguely recall reading that it did not.

8 minutes ago, circumstances said:

It's definitely memorable!

No idea if it translated into any great key book purchases for Ol' Theo, though.

I vaguely recall reading that it did not.

The '76 Overstreet was my first guide.  It was my introduction to formal collecting and coming across that ad was quite a shock!   :fear: 

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

The '76 Overstreet was my first guide.  It was my introduction to formal collecting and coming across that ad was quite a shock!   :fear: 

Mine too. His ad prices in 1976 seemed at odds with the 1970’s market. This was a period that would seem like a mirror universe when compared to today. Many thought Overstreet prices were high and you could still get books under Overstreet pricing in many cases. It was coming rapidly though when Theo’s prices would become a reality as the price spreads in Overstreet conditions were in the process of becoming wider and paying multiples of guide would become an accepted reality.

As a 12/13 year old when seeing that ad I thought it was freaky but kind of impressed by the prices as insane as they seemed. Me I started ordering from American Comic Book Company thanks to their ad in that guide. Their rapid want list system I liked and used many times later. I thought how cool to have something that could “look” for books for you without going through catalogues.

22 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Mine too. His ad prices in 1976 seemed at odds with the 1970’s market. This was a period that would seem like a mirror universe when compared to today. Many thought Overstreet prices were high and you could still get books under Overstreet pricing in many cases. It was coming rapidly though when Theo’s prices would become a reality as the price spreads in Overstreet conditions were in the process of becoming wider and paying multiples of guide would become an accepted reality.

As a 12/13 year old when seeing that ad I thought it was freaky but kind of impressed by the prices as insane as they seemed. Me I started ordering from American Comic Book Company thanks to their ad in that guide. Their rapid want list system I liked and used many times later. I thought how cool to have something that could “look” for books for you without going through catalogues.

We must be nearly exactly the same age.  I loved looking at the ads but would gloss over many since I could not ever hope to own but unfortunately that image is indelibly imprinted in my mind.  And I always thought Stan Lee had better legs when he did the bare recline.

I am pretty sure my first mail order was through some TBG ads.  I did order from American but never used a want list system.  Since my mom was funding my collecting at the time, my buying was limited and was worried I would be required to buy if a WTB was found.  And at the time, I was buying mostly BA back issues and some SA.  GA was a pipe dream for me until a few years later and ordered again almost entirely from TBG ads and their were still those wonderful local bookstores (not LCS).  One ad that I have mentioned before was Fantazia (Dupdork zapped me and I am still waiting for the money he owes me lol )

I do remember loving the top books and values and the color spreads of the OSPGs.

34 minutes ago, telerites said:

We must be nearly exactly the same age.  I loved looking at the ads but would gloss over many since I could not ever hope to own but unfortunately that image is indelibly imprinted in my mind.  And I always thought Stan Lee had better legs when he did the bare recline.

I am pretty sure my first mail order was through some TBG ads.  I did order from American but never used a want list system.  Since my mom was funding my collecting at the time, my buying was limited and was worried I would be required to buy if a WTB was found.  And at the time, I was buying mostly BA back issues and some SA.  GA was a pipe dream for me until a few years later and ordered again almost entirely from TBG ads and their were still those wonderful local bookstores (not LCS).  One ad that I have mentioned before was Fantazia (Dupdork zapped me and I am still waiting for the money he owes me lol )

I do remember loving the top books and values and the color spreads of the OSPGs.

Yep, similar paths it seems too. It’s been awhile but I think you put some kind of money down first to use their rapid want list list then it went towards the purchase price (or not). Been many years now but it worked something like that. I actually was obsessed at that period finding the (then) uncommon stuff not easily found. I used it to acquire my first Lancer Marvel  paperbacks from the 1960’s and the 1969 Eye magazine with the Spider-Man comic still attached. I could walk in to Richard Alf’s store or a Pacific Comics and get a FF #1 or AF #15 but weird stuff like that was harder to find. Also finding MMMS, Marvelmania stuff or the 1960’s Aurora model kits required searching out. Blame all those old comic ads and Overstreet for making me aware that comics collecting would extend beyond the collecting of just comic books.

Talked with Mr. Dupcak by phone many, many times at Fantazia. Got connected to him from his Overstreet ads. Bought a few “tinkered” key books from him like FF #1, AF #15, TTA #27, JIM #83 and some GA like All Winners #19. I did probably break even or maybe made a little profit from what I got from him and he was also extremely nice to speak with. A learning experience for sure. By 1989 I was advertising myself in Overstreet and found myself on the other end of acquiring books...

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

I remember the first time I paid “over guide”. It was at the Casual Con in Buena Park CA in the mid 1970’s. 

Chuckie had just bought the Church collection and debuted it there. Everyone was swamping the superhero boxes but I was into SOTI and PCH at the time. 

No one was even looking at them. I started pulling them out and then noticed the prices. Whipped out the current O’Street and noticed he wanted $12. For a $7. Book! 

People were outraged until he announced why. I was still taken back and slid a lot of books back...:facepalm:

I probably spent $250 on my pile which was a lot of money at the time for me. But I got a real nice stack of the prettiest books I’d ever seen. I hated to hand that money over to him but he knew he had us where he wanted us.

If I had known then what I knew now. But who am I kidding, I didn’t have any more money anyway...

I also remember pulling out a vg copy of Fight Against Crime #20 out of a guy’s box for $2. I had never seen that cover and just had to have it. 

Those were the days...

2 hours ago, telerites said:

:cloud9:  One of the best things in the hobby until the Gerber Guide came out!

40 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

he wanted $12. For a $7. Book! 

This is blasphemy and a breach of interplanetary law! :rulez:

48 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I also remember pulling out a vg copy of Fight Against Crime #20 out of a guy’s box for $2. I had never seen that cover and just had to have it. 

I'm a simple man:  I see decapitation cover and I buy.

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Yep, similar paths it seems too. It’s been awhile but I think you put some kind of money down first to use their rapid want list list then it went towards the purchase price (or not). Been many years now but it worked something like that. I actually was obsessed at that period finding the (then) uncommon stuff not easily found. I used it to acquire my first Lancer Marvel  paperbacks from the 1960’s and the 1969 Eye magazine with the Spider-Man comic still attached. I could walk in to Richard Alf’s store or a Pacific Comics and get a FF #1 or AF #15 but weird stuff like that was harder to find. Also finding MMMS, Marvelmania stuff or the 1960’s Aurora model kits required searching out. Blame all those old comic ads and Overstreet for making me aware that comics collecting would extend beyond the collecting of just comic books.

Talked with Mr. Dupcak by phone many, many times at Fantazia. Got connected to him from his Overstreet ads. Bought a few “tinkered” key books from him like FF #1, AF #15, TTA #27, JIM #83 and some GA like All Winners #19. I did probably break even or maybe made a little profit from what I got from him and he was also extremely nice to speak with. A learning experience for sure. By 1989 I was advertising myself in Overstreet and found myself on the other end of acquiring books...

I must be the only guy that Dupchak didn't rip off.  I sent him a Showcase 4 in response to his weekly "buy" ad in TCBG - seems that he was paying slightly more than Metropolis.  Any way, he sent me a cheque and it didn't bounce.  Now mind you, I shouldn't have sold it in the first place but that's another story...   :censored:   :cry:

48 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I'm a simple man:  I see decapitation cover and I buy.

These were the day when GA DC, Timely, Barks and ECs ruled the roost. Most everything else would be like funny animal or westerns today.

Luckily, I loved the “other stuff” and learned to box dive at an early age. I quickly noticed that I could get a lot more bang for my buck. 

It sure has worked out well for me. :devil:

I know either personally or through reputation folks being discussed from the 1970’s comic convention scene.  I met Chuck Rozanski before he’d acquired the Church collection, back when he travelled with Bob Wayne and myself to a Houstoncon in the early 70’s.  There wasn’t much room in Bob’s car.  I guess Chuck drew the short straw since he got the back seat ...which amounted to the floorboard with the luggage we’d brought.  

As for Theo Holstein, I’ve had several phone discussions with him about collecting, encapsulation of comics and investment, but can’t recall ever having met him face to face.  Indeed, he seems eccentric, but I’ve negotiated with him a couple of times on key pieces of art through mutual friend Mitchell Mehdy.  My impression is that Theo is shrewd and a tough negotiator when maximizing profit.  That said, my experience in dealing with him was entirely reasonable.  Based on his reputation, other’s mileage obviously varies.

The thing with the Overstreet Ad that a lot of folks may be missing comes across to me as an attempt at self-deprecating humor that’s a bit subtler than just mocking Burt Reynold’s notorious nude pose.  His speedo ad may be a throwback to the old Charles Atlas weight lifter ads on the back of comics in the ‘40s and ‘50s.  Looking at it from that angle it makes a lot more sense as comic parody.  Still, from a business standpoint, I just can’t imagine collectors of that era lining up to buy and sell comics from the guy posed in that ad. 

Spoiler

AmericasBestComics3036.jpg

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

34 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I must be the only guy that Dupchak didn't rip off.  I sent him a Showcase 4 in response to his weekly "buy" ad in TCBG - seems that he was paying slightly more than Metropolis.  Any way, he sent me a cheque and it didn't bounce.  Now mind you, I shouldn't have sold it in the first place but that's another story...   :censored:   :cry:

I think he had enough funds from those he swindled to sometimes come through.  I guess he had already bought his groceries for that week lol 

Was the famous 1976 Overstreet ad the only ad that Theo ever advertised in Overstreet?

I don't recall seeing any ad of his in the following year's guide (1977 - Barks Porky Pig cover)

Maybe he foresaw how legendary the ad would become and decided to do a "one and done - mic drop"!

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Still, from a business standpoint, I just can’t imagine collectors of that era lining up to buy and sell comics from the guy posed in that ad. 

The impression I get is that he is singlehandedly responsible for keeping the investors at bay for another 10 years.  One look at his ad sent people back to stamps