• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for GPA to start reporting Comiclink Focused Auction results
1 1

217 posts in this topic

I do know for a fact that if I had an established client list that provided me with $1,000,000's in business every year I certainly would have reservations about sharing it with another party.

What are you people talking about?

There is no personal information being shared, it's just a matter of supplying the needed sales data, price and CGC cert # to GPA. That's it.

Josh apparently wanted to submit only "record-breaking" data to GPA, which is useless, since a true market report requires ALL sales data.

I do know for a fact that if I had an established client list that provided me with $1,000,000's in business every year I certainly would have reservations about sharing it with another party.

There is no personal information being shared, it's just a matter of supplying the needed sales data, price and CGC cert # to GPA. That's it.

Josh apparently wanted to submit only "record-breaking" data to GPA, which is useless, since a true market report requires ALL dales data.

I believe (though I could be wrong) that George needs buyer info as well.

Josh apparently wanted to submit only "record-breaking" data to GPA, which is useless, since a true market report requires ALL dales data.

You'd be wrong then, as I am certain that EBay does not supply personal buyer info, and I would bet that Heritage doesn't either. Legally, they can't.

Basically it really comes down to how well your online venue is setup, and how much work it would take to create a data feed to GPA. I have a feeling that CL is pretty archaic and it's just not worth it to Josh to get all data over there.

How does GPA get data from eBay then? I`m sure eBay doesn`t report to GPA.

George has software that records data. Thing is that Ebay data is easier to corroborate. You can see low feedback bidders, shady sales etc and this is all noted in the GPA sales data. With dealers they are supposed to provide transaction info, not just a price...and Josh likely wants to keep his client base private.

George probably does not want to record unsubstantiated sales data.

(shrug)

The eBay data is mo more reliable. One has to assume that all of the transaction follow through to completion.

Actually, any GPA sales that are questionable are noted as such on GPA.

(thumbs u

I can read GPA, Roy.

Not every sale that falls through on eBay ends back up for sale on eBay. I have seen items that supposedly sold on eBay turn up on consignment sites. Furthermore, before you call it a flip, there was little or no profit margin involved.

All I'm saying is that one is no more unsubstantiated over the other. It's all taken at face value.

And here's an old comment from George when someone accused GPA of only covering EBay and Heritage:

"Wrong again, we report from many more venues, including Metropolis, ComicConnect, Vintage Collectables, Colmore, Quality Comix, SAL Comics, Investment Collectibles, Esquire Comics, Mile High, Vault, Mastro, Hakes, All Stars, and more."

I can't see where the 'who' has any relevancy whatsoever.

The buyer, like the final price, is really noones business. But at least the final price has value to the collecting/dealing community.

The point is that GPA could manually track the data on ComicLink, if they wanted to track it. I would not classify it as unsubstantiated data. It is as reliable as any of their other data sources. Sure, it would labor intensive and maybe that is where the problem truly lies.

You'd be wrong then, as I am certain that EBay does not supply personal buyer info, and I would bet that Heritage doesn't either. Legally, they can't.

Basically it really comes down to how well your online venue is setup, and how much work it would take to create a data feed to GPA. I have a feeling that CL is pretty archaic and it's just not worth it to Josh to get all data over there.

This is the likely answer. It doesn't benefit Josh to immediately offer up this data. In the long run? Probably. But that's not going to be enough to get CL to revamp their site - which they should do anyway, but I get the feeling they're in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, which is just :screwy: imho.

As far as GPA manually entering in data...yikes.

The point is that GPA could manually track the data on ComicLink, if they wanted to track it.

Somehow I doubt that's part of their current "we accept sales data on an automated basis from dealers who have an online venue they sell through" business model.

I bet they could find an old typewriter to do it on. lol

No... buyer info/client lists is not required in any way.

No... buyer info/client lists is not required in any way.

GPA elite insider

There have been discussions and Josh is now an advertiser on GPA. Baby steps.

I've had a few exchanges with Josh too... trying to see where his head was at and how to get him on board. He has some interesting points of view on the matter and I made a few good points as well (I think). His reporting would certainly raise the values on a much higher percentage of books than it would lower them. There's so many more "upsides" for him (and for his clientele and market in general too) than worthy concerns as I see it.

As for recording the data without Josh's consent... it's more complicated than you think even IF George would be willing to do so. The CL system is set up in a way that makes it very difficult at best. A "pending sale" is not a sale yet for instance without confirmation.

Perhaps if there was a "grass roots" effort by his customers to email him and politely and intelligently outline why they (as Clink customers/supporters) feel its in his and their best interest for him to join? (shrug) If enough relevant points (that perhaps no one else has expressed yet) are made, it could potentially make a difference in his continued evaluation of the matter.

hm

Hopefully we'll get somewhere in the near future. :wishluck:

:news:

In the mean time... I have been and will continue to "manually" record a high percentage of the relevant sales (from my perspective) from both the regular listings and focused auctions because I'm a data-geek and want that info. It's time consuming to say the least... but I'm determined to have it one way or another. I've spent almost 8+ hours recording the latest auction results for instance.

As a courtesy to forum members (preferably GPA customers too, but not mandatory), if you are entertaining a significant purchase and feel you need to see what results have been happening on Clink "once in a while" I'll try and accommodate you if I'm not totally besieged with requests. No offense, but I may have to withdraw this offer if its becomes too frequent and time consuming... so take advantage with "common sense" please.

George has software that records data. Thing is that Ebay data is easier to corroborate. You can see low feedback bidders, shady sales etc and this is all noted in the GPA sales data. With dealers they are supposed to provide transaction info, not just a price...and Josh likely wants to keep his client base private.

(shrug)

The eBay data is mo more reliable. One has to assume that all of the transaction follow through to completion.

Actually, any GPA sales that are questionable are noted as such on GPA.

(thumbs u

I can read GPA, Roy.

Not every sale that falls through on eBay ends back up for sale on eBay. I have seen items that supposedly sold on eBay turn up on consignment sites. Furthermore, before you call it a flip, there was little or no profit margin involved.

All I'm saying is that one is no more unsubstantiated over the other. It's all taken at face value.

I suppose there is a little more authenticity in an Ebay buyer with 200 feedback than just a number on a website. George will also correct any data that might seem incorrect...but the guy is human and can't catch everything. I've helped him correct a few bad sales myslef.

I'm sure he'll chime in any time now and straighten everything out...he's probably hitting the sack any second now.

R.

It's not a matter of what Comiclink wants or does not want.

The solution is simple. Once a month GPA needs to manually enter the auction results once the auctions have ended. All the results are sitting right there for anyone to view, here is an example of a listing of past results.

The results are sitting right there. These are very important sales.

Someone at GPA needs to spend 10 hours a month manually going through these results and recording them.

More and more quality material is migrating from Heritage and ebay to Comiclink Focused. If GPA does not start reporting it, their database will be woefully inadequate for the best material out there.

Sure they can give me a very accurate estimate on ASM #300 9.6

But for stuff where they have no recorded sales since 2002 or 2003, and then a sale is made on Comiclink Focused and this updated price is NOT recorded, I think that is a real dis-service to their subscribers

It seems that for subscribers paying $10/month they could enter this data manually (or pay me in comics to write a screen scraper that pulls the data out in a nice fashion).

I can't possibly be the only one here that actually likes the fact that my Clink purchases are not recorded to GPA. (shrug)

Not sure I understand. Surely you would pretty much demand that your purchase is recorded, if only to 'protect your investment'?

You buy a Hulk #1 through CLink for $1,200 less than the GPA high. Two months later, you hit financial difficulties and need to sell and at least get your money back. GPA shows a high $1,200 below what you paid...and that's what you're being offered, or what is being used as a basis for bids.

How is this good for a buyer? (shrug)

I can't possibly be the only one here that actually likes the fact that my Clink purchases are not recorded to GPA. (shrug)

Not sure I understand. Surely you would pretty much demand that your purchase is recorded, if only to 'protect your investment'?

You buy a Hulk #1 through CLink for $1,200 less than the GPA high. Two months later, you hit financial difficulties and need to sell and at least get your money back. GPA shows a high $1,200 below what you paid...and that's what you're being offered, or what is being used as a basis for bids.

How would one pay "$1,200 less than the GPA high" and yet when you sell all of a sudden the GPA high is "$1,200 below what you paid..."

I'm not sure I understand your example.

How would one pay "$1,200 less than the GPA high" and yet when you sell all of a sudden the GPA high is "$1,200 below what you paid..."

That's 'cause it's ed up. doh!

'You buy a Hulk #1 through CLink for $1,200 MORE than the GPA high.'

That's 'cause it's ed up. doh!

'You buy a Hulk #1 through CLink for $1,200 MORE than the GPA high.'

Well, under that example I can understand. The difference is I'm not looking to break any records on books when I buy them.

Call me cheap, or what-have-you but if I manage to pick up a book on Clink for a substantial amount less than what the GPA average is (and I have and I'm sure others have as well) then that is what puts me in a much better position if I needed to sell the book because I have instant equity.

It is my honest opinion that CLINK would actually LOSE buyers in their auctions if the notion of the "deal" is lost to GPA.

That exact reason is why I pay more attention to the Clink auctions now than I do the Heritage ones.

Now, mind you, I have paid over GPA for books on Clink also but only in cases of a book not having shown up for several years.

(shrug)

You make a good point, that eBay's auctions are a bit more transparent, and therefore could be used even if eBay didn't cooperate.