• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #1 Club
3 3

453 posts in this topic

My set is finally fully slabbed!

Direct Edition:

ongoing001v01_cgc_98.jpg

Newsstand Edition:

ongoing001n_cgc_98.jpg

Black and White Edition:

ongoing001v02_cgc_98.jpg

3D Edition:

ongoing001v03_cgc_98.jpg

Mini Edition:

ongoing001_v04_cgc_96.jpg

Image Firsts Edition:

ongoing001v05_cgc_98.jpg

Misprint Version:

ongoing001e.jpg

Very nice!

That misprint is very cool from an early 1990s perspective, since the premium books (gold, platinum) from publishers often had no cover price.

It's like that one is a "purposeful" premium with that missing cover price box. :grin:

Any estimates on the newsstand ratios for this book? 1:20? 1:50? hm

Thanks!

From what I understand, Marvel newsstand ratios in 1992 were somewhere around 10-15% of the total print run. But as newsstand issues are returnable, some of those would have been destroyed. I'd imagine Image ratios were something similar at the time, but I'm not too sure. One thing I do know for sure, it's much tougher to find newsstand editions in high grade than their direct counterparts.

Print runs for newsstand copies were substantially higher than 10-15% of the Direct run in 1992. The newsstand wasn't dead yet.

Newsstand Image books, however, are indeed very hard to find, especially in very high grade.

My Spawn set runs from # 1 through #50, with multiple copies of each. I have 6 #1's, for instance ..... and I would post images with this, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it1 My pictures are stored on my computer and I cannot see an "HTTP" address anywhere when I bring them up.

On ‎2008‎/‎08‎/‎30 at 11:38 PM, thehumantorch said:

Ah....but this club wants lots and lots of members.

I have a member I could include. There have been plenty of spawns from it.

3 minutes ago, Lobstrosity said:

Finally complete! Every Spawn #1 from around the globe. 59 versions total (plus an error copy), from 29 different countries.

spawnworld_issue1_collection.jpg

Wow, that's got to have a story to it lol

Great ambition!! ^^

How did you get a definitive list? Awesome!!

On 8/31/2008 at 12:03 PM, thehumantorch said:

That's the spirit lads. You are all members in good standing. Watch for your membership cards in the mail. Judging by the results Spawn #1 seems to be much rarer than suspected. Even those that have copies are having trouble finding them.

Just a few.

Spawn 1.jpg

Spawn 3 9.8.jpg

Spawn 221 9.8.jpg

Spawn 234.jpg