• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #1 Club
3 3

453 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wow, that's got to have a story to it lol

Great ambition!! ^^

How did you get a definitive list? Awesome!!

I had to make my own list lol

I started collecting the international versions in 1997, and I just completed the set (for #1) last week...so through all of that, there was a tremendous amount of research done.

I contacted McFarlane early on, but found that they didn't have very complete records unfortunately. So, I spent years contacting fans in other countries (usually by joining local comic-collecting message boards). I contacted international publishers for their publication info, and occasionally (when I was lucky) to order books. I made friends all over the world that were willing to help me in my search.

I've been hunting issues 1-10 per country, but I'm still missing 10 issues total. Some countries that I thought would be 'easy' to complete (such as Australia) turned out to be pretty tough. Some countries are next to impossible: India, Philippines, etc. I chased rumored countries for years until I got definitive confirmation from locals that they were never published there (Russia).

Sometimes, when I thought I was getting close, I'd discover something new and it would add additional years (!!) to my search. It wasn't until a few years ago, for example, that I learned about the multiple printings in Germany. 

Along the way, I've catalogued every discovery on my site spawnworld.com for other collectors to use.

All in all, it's been an amazing collecting-adventure. If I knew then what I know now, I would have only aimed for issue #1 instead of #1-10...but I'm getting close!

2 minutes ago, Lobstrosity said:

I had to make my own list lol

I started collecting the international versions in 1997, and I just completed the set (for #1) last week...so through all of that, there was a tremendous amount of research done.

I contacted McFarlane early on, but found that they didn't have very complete records unfortunately. So, I spent years contacting fans in other countries (usually by joining local comic-collecting message boards). I contacted international publishers for their publication info, and occasionally (when I was lucky) to order books. I made friends all over the world that were willing to help me in my search.

I've been hunting issues 1-10 per country, but I'm still missing 10 issues total. Some countries that I thought would be 'easy' to complete (such as Australia) turned out to be pretty tough. Some countries are next to impossible: India, Philippines, etc. I chased rumored countries for years until I got definitive confirmation from locals that they were never published there (Russia).

Sometimes, when I thought I was getting close, I'd discover something new and it would add additional years (!!) to my search. It wasn't until a few years ago, for example, that I learned about the multiple printings in Germany. 

Along the way, I've catalogued every discovery on my site spawnworld.com for other collectors to use.

All in all, it's been an amazing collecting-adventure. If I knew then what I know now, I would have only aimed for issue #1 instead of #1-10...but I'm getting close!

:whee: I remember spawnworld.com site being mentioned, great work! :headbang: 

On 6/14/2020 at 9:23 PM, Lobstrosity said:

Finally complete! Every Spawn #1 from around the globe. 59 versions total (plus an error copy), from 29 different countries.

spawnworld_issue1_collection.jpg

Very cool!  

I can't help but notice that the four down, four across looks like it was printed several years later.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Very cool!  

I can't help but notice that the four down, four across looks like it was printed several years later.

Yes indeed. That's a Special Edition from France (printed in 2001):

http://spawnworld.com/books/international/france/semic_ongoing/semic_ongoing01b.htm

Ok so I’m in my LCS today he tells me he bought a small collection of early numbered Spawn books . No biggie but one of the books in that pile was 1997 Black and White edition . I only know what I’ve read . It’s in stellar shape maybe not 9.8 but def up there in near mint range . I’ve posted pictures . I’d love to know what you guys think. 

I still own my original 1,4,9 few others from bitd this issue I never ever saw in wild 

Edited by Subby1938