• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer 4 CGC 9.4 WP!

48 posts in this topic

Here's a question for folks about these books...

In these early SS's in the SA the cover price was 25 cent for the first 7 issues

(over double the 12 cent price) is that because they were square bound

giant sized books??? or was it because this was a very popular character

and marvel just wanted to capitalize??? or both???

I do remember the first What If's weren't that much bigger

but were over double the 30 cent guide.

Is this the same case?

It's obvious I've never even held one of these books up close.

hm

Here's a question for folks about these books...

In these early SS's in the SA the cover price was 25 cent for the first 7 issues

(over double the 12 cent price) is that because they were square bound

giant sized books??? or was it because this was a very popular character

and marvel just wanted to capitalize??? or both???

I do remember the first What If's weren't that much bigger

but were over double the 30 cent guide.

Is this the same case?

It's obvious I've never even held one of these books up close.

hm

These are actually quite late SA books, and the 25 cent price was already the established norm for square-bound giant-size books - Stan should have made them 50 cents based on the Surfer's popularity at the time - these were a bargain on the rack ;)

On offer from Goldie today is a white paged, perfectly centered CGC 9.4 copy of a book that doesn't need the hard sell, although I do feel obliged to mention that the Forum voted it as one of the best Silver Age covers (if not the best) in a poll.

I accept Paypal, Mastercard and Visa, as well as checks (in sterling only). Book will be sent in a heavily buffered box which needless to say will be fully insured.

Please, no Forumites on the probation list.

Price: $1,795 shipped. SOLD!

SilverSurfer4CGC94.jpg

SilverSurfer4CGC94Back.jpg

In the last Comiclink auction a stunning GL 76 with white pages went for $1500 ... relatively speaking this 9.4 Silver Surfer 4 ... is arguably cheap at the price of $1795.

Or the GL is arguably over priced ... but actually when you consider the GL 76 in 9.2 with off white pages, not centered well, and with a little less richness of color (can you tell I think the 9.0 was the far superior book), but the nonetheless the 9.2 went for $2600??

This white paged Silver Surfer sold for nearly the price of the GL 76 in 9.0 and far below the GL 76 in 9.2 ...

The market and it's pricing are getting harder to fathom all the time ... the GL prices would dictate the Silver Surfer 4 in 9.4 be a 4k plus book.

Soooooo ... great pick up ....on an ever so pretty Silver Surfer sold for what I used to think was a staggering sum ... but now it is apparently chicken feed.