• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists, now you see um, now you don't

2 posts in this topic

I have seen that some artists are not noted on the CGC labels. In this case Moldoff. I've had old Batman and Detective Comics graded and his cover art is never noted. But I've noticed this with other comic books also.

I've also seen where sometimes an artist is noted on the label and then I'll see another of the same issue graded without the artist name noted. In this case Heath war comics.

Who decides what artists will be noted on a CGC label?

and

Who decides when an artist will be noted on a CGC label?

Strange, but true. What has happened is that you have seen one book that was certified from when we first opened and didn't have the time to put every artist into our computer, and the same issue certified closer to the present, when we had the man power and time to try to fill in and round out our art & key comments field.

Initially, the pregrader puts in every art and key comment, with the help of Overstreet, the Gerber Guides, various web sites and of course the comic itself. It is then double checked by the grader and adjusted, if necessary. Then, it is finalized when the finalizer enters the book's final grade. The comments are then saved in our system and will be on the label for every copy of that issue that we certify. When you see 2 slightly different comments, it just means we adjusted the comments, most likely to fit all the other issues around it.