• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

I'd rather see Invincible as a trilogy of movies instead of TV.

The budgets for TV shows wouldn't do Invincible justice. I want to see a big brawl between Invincible & Omni Man in part 1, an even bigger bad brawl with Conquest in part 2, and close the trilogy with the Viltrumite War.

With TV you'd get Smallville all over again. 40 minutes of Mark & Eve and maybe a quick special effect at the end capturing the bad guy to close the show.

A television show... maybe. A movie? Probably not anytime soon.

Any television show they make of Invincible would be a really tough sell. How do you pitch it?

"It is a 'teenage slice of life' story where the everyday average teenage protagonist has to discover how to use his superpowers... and oh by the way he sometimes rips people apart or beats them to death with his bare hands. Oh, and after an early big reveal, his father basically beats him to death in a brawl that kills thousands of innocent civilians. Oh... and we'll need about $25 million for the first season. Thanks."

Look it up. Kirkman had like two scripts done a long time ago. Unfortunately, a movie called Sky High came out and Invincible didn't happen. Years ago I wrote 2 of 3 scripts. The first was all about introducing the universe but with more of a non-linear storytelling perspective, it ended with the Omni-Man/Invincible blowout. The second film was all about Angstrom and alternates. I had intended to write the 3rd but after talking to Kirkman about it years ago, decided to focus on my own thing (see Invincipals issue #98). As much as I'd love to see a film/show happen, I don't see it. Maybe I'm just reverse psychologizing everyone. Ryan had mentioned some stuff last time we talked, but, as of now Kirkman is all about TWD and Outcast.

I agree with you - I don't see it happening for many reasons. Though, obviously, I'm not as close to it as you are, this is all just my opinion.

Too expensive.

Not a broad enough appeal.

Too violent when compared to the 'slice of teenage life' that the other half of the show represents.

I don't think the violence is the problem. You also keep referring to his as a teenager. He was in high school for like the first 30 issues. I'd call it a young adult coming of age over a teenage slice of life.

It would work perfectly on HBO or Showtime. Kirkman will probably have an in at Showtime now too with Outcast.

The biggest issues are the budget and flying characters. No one has got flying right on TV in a LONG time. The stuff I've seen for the new Supergirl show looks rough.

Chris, you're absolutely right, the CG for flying just hasn't been done right. I think Man Of Steel had it pretty good, but, that's a huge budget, no way Invincible would get that.

Here's the problem with doing a HBO/Showtime/Cinemax thing. Sex. Invincible doesn't have any sex. I'd hate for the book to have to alter its subject matter just to be on television.

Edit: consider what's popular on those channels now and see how Invincible would fit. I'd have to think AMC or maybe even FX would work. Can be violent as hell and still have the basic cable guidelines they'd have to adhere to.

Edited by simplyrob

They did make it to us on Saturday and Sunday. The funny thing is the Mom, and Omni-Man's real wife is named Debbie and she made the costumes for them. I know they met Robert, and I believe Cory too.

We had a moment at the table where it was the three of them and Anissa and Thragg visiting by chance. It was real cool. Super nice people. I posted a lot of pics on www.facebook.com/invincibleuniverse of it.

Chris, you're absolutely right, the CG for flying just hasn't been done right. I think Man Of Steel had it pretty good, but, that's a huge budget, no way Invincible would get that.

Here's the problem with doing a HBO/Showtime/Cinemax thing. Sex. Invincible doesn't have any sex. I'd hate for the book to have to alter its subject matter just to be on television.

Edit: consider what's popular on those channels now and see how Invincible would fit. I'd have to think AMC or maybe even FX would work. Can be violent as hell and still have the basic cable guidelines they'd have to adhere to.

I don't think that The Wire was a really sex filled show. I'm only coming up with 2 or 3 scenes in 5 seasons with sex. HBO cares about content. True Detective has maybe 1 sex scene per season.

Mark and Amber or Eve would fill that ratio. If it's needed, but I don't think that they gauge things on that basis.

I finally read the most recent issue. I really hope that isn't the direction Kirkman is actually going with it. I imagine it is one of his "Joke" moments... Or at least I hope it is anyway.

As someone who has read Reboot's first two issues, I can comfortably say this should be one of the most popular arcs ever, if not the most popular.